U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 06:19 PM

17 posts, read 66,352 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a single guy trying to decide where to move to in Columbus. I've lived in Southern CA for most of my life and deciding where to go in Columbus is a little harder than I thought. I've read some books/websites on relocating to the area, but real info is pretty hard to come by. It seems like most of the suburbs are 75-90% married couples which would be super......if I were married. I'm going to be renting an apt initially and I'm looking for an area that might have a reasonable percentage of singles/working professionals, but have more of a suburban feel to it since I'm not really a city/urban type. Any ideas on areas around (within 35 min) Columbus? I'm also considering Pittsburgh and Cincinnati so if you have any info or comparisons, I'd really appreciate it. If anyone has any questions on San Diego, let me know - thanks! Here are some points I'm looking for:

Safety
Other singles in the area
Rental prices no too important (compared to CA, everything's cheap!)
Decent commute to downtown (less than 35 min)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 AM

69 posts, read 179,490 times
Don't know anything about Pittsburgh, but I think Cincy and Columbus are both great towns. For you, I think the Dublin / Worthington / Upper Arlington areas might provide the most appropriate singles nightlife in Columbus. Grandview might be good too, but that might be a little urban for you - its a nice neighborhood though. Powell might also be good, but that may be further out and more family oriented then you are looking for. Westerville, New Albany and Gahanna are the other "tier one" areas (as others have described them - I don't necessarily agree with that though) that come to mind.

I think that Columbus has more transplants (ie out of towners who move here) than Cincy, so that might make it easier to meet people. When I was in grad school in Cincy several years ago, I can remember an article that came out that said the best place for singles to meet in Cincy was in a Hyde Park neighborhood grocery store. Other than that, unfortunately, I don't have any stats to back my thoughts up, but I have lived in both cities and this is my belief.

Geographically, I like Cincy better than Columbus, hands down. Cincy has the riverfront and hills going for it. Columbus is flat flat flat.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,711,470 times
Victorian Village, Harrison west.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:28 PM

11 posts, read 62,123 times
I lived 18 years in Cincinnati, 20+ years in Columbus, and Cincinnati is far more beautiful geographically and more oldworld charm but can be a bit stodgy and old-fashioned, whereas Columbus has more ethnic diversity, more transplants, more contemporary. I agree that near the University would be good for a young newcomer: Victorian Village, Short North, Italian Village, Harrison West -- these are all next to each other between downtown and OSU. Also German Village, Brewery District, and Arena District, close to downtown.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:05 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,290,442 times
Quote:
I lived 18 years in Cincinnati, 20+ years in Columbus, and Cincinnati is far more beautiful geographically and more oldworld charm but can be a bit stodgy and old-fashioned, whereas Columbus has more ethnic diversity, more transplants, more contemporary. I agree that near the University would be good for a young newcomer: Victorian Village, Short North, Italian Village, Harrison West -- these are all next to each other between downtown and OSU. Also German Village, Brewery District, and Arena District, close to downtown.
I think most would agree with the listed areas for some diversity and a safe central city atmosphere near a lot of excitment.

I do want to highlight the brewery district. It is situated just south of downtown but has a very young professional feel. It is an area that is very urban but feels very comfortable for a newcomer (many transplants live here) and it has many brand new apartment buildings that have a highend suburban feel to them on the inside, they have pools, gyms, etc. Plus there's a great new Kroger right in the Brewery District and your within walking distance to German Village and maybe work downtown. Now some of these rentals are on the higher end (for columbus prices) but if its in your budget I would look into it.

In addition, all of the areas Anne mentioned are within 10-2 minutes of downtown. I think you will be surprised at the options for fine city living so close to the city.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:07 PM

424 posts, read 1,157,015 times
I would agree with victorian village, right in the price range you would be used to you could find a GREAT flat or condo/apt with TONS to do nearby including Comfest. Be a part of ComFest! - ComFest

Old 06-22-2009, 01:14 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,711,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
I would agree with victorian village, right in the price range you would be used to you could find a GREAT flat or condo/apt with TONS to do nearby including Comfest. Be a part of ComFest! - ComFest
OK, enough of the comfest spam.
I like it to but it's not the answer to every question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or