Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 11,305 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to the Columbus area this summer. We have narrowed our choices to Reynoldsburg and Pickerington. Schools (high school and middle school) are important to us. We would also like to be in an area that is welcoming to newcomers. We don't want an extremely rural area but don't want extreme congestion either. We'll be looking for a 4 bedroom in the range of $260,000 to $300,000 range.
What are the pros and cons of Reynoldsburg vs. Pickerington?
Thanks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 12:53 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,669,874 times
Honest, I don't think theres much of a different between the two, they both are newer columbus suburbs, with typical suburban housing stock and retail strips. I am sure there are some, on this forum, who live in those suburbs and would maybe know the differences better.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:44 PM

95 posts, read 569,088 times
I agree w/ PP
both are very similar. and would be nice areas for families

I just hope u won't be working in DownTown Columbus or needing to drive west bound, b/c that area has really bad commuter traffic.
IMO it is the worst w/ regards to traffic if you have typical job hours only if u plan on commuting towards downtown.
GL!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,860,886 times
Howdy namdetss!

Between these two east-side suburbs, development in Pickerington is newer—most of the growth has occurred there post-1980s. Reynoldsburg's big growth spurt was more in the 1950s–70s, although sporadic new development continues to this day.

Pickerington lies a little further out from the city, and in fact Pickerington proper is entirely outside Franklin County, which means lower sales taxes, and possibly other savings to area homeowners.

Reynoldsburg, due in part to its age and location, is starting to be encroached upon by elements of the east side's ever-growing ghetto. I'm not saying R'burg is part of the ghetto by any means (yet); but it's starting to get a little flaky around the edges.

Pickerington schools are better regarded than those in Reynoldsburg.

I agree with the poster above, that the daily commute from either of these areas into Downtown is a total nightmare! Hardly a workday goes by that I don't hear a traffic report starting off "I-70 on the east side, between Brice and 256..."

Just the other day, I was coming into town (the opposite way) around 4:PM and noticing all the bumper-to-bumper oncoming traffic. That was just the start of rush hour. If you hate traffic jams as much as I do, then you might re-think either of these areas if you work Downtown!

Otherwise of these two particular 'burbs, Pickerington is probably the better choice for a family w/school age kids.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:01 PM

123 posts, read 747,437 times
LancasterNative is right on the money. Reynoldsburg gets increasingly seedy as you go west from 256 into town. Picktown is very nice.

I drive out that way everday from downtown. Here's a traffic tip to help. On I-70 East, stay in the far left lane until just before the Hamilton road exit. Then merge over to the far right lane. Just after this exit, that lane becomes EMPTY! There is a sign that says 270 South exit only. But the exit is a couple miles ahead. Most people don't seem to realize this and panic, cramming over into the stalled traffic to the left, and leaving you a nice open route home. Just before you hit 270 traffic always slows down and pockets open up from people merging over. You can merge easily here and you have missed 90% of rush hour traffic.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks UlsterScot And if I'm ever in that area during a future rush hour, I'll have to give this right-lane technique a try.

Also for what it's worth, I haven't been to R'burg for a few yrs now. It was just starting to get bad in some areas, but who knows...maybe it's gotten worse since(?)

Old 04-29-2007, 09:00 PM

123 posts, read 747,437 times
It's still not too bad. Just alot of section 8 type housing etc. The west side of Reynoldsburg is basically an extension of Whitehall.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 PM

548 posts, read 2,015,240 times
PICKERINGTON, HANDS DOWN. Pickerington has better schools, nicer homes, nicer shopping areas.

Reynoldsburg is getting worse all the time.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
It's still not too bad. Just alot of section 8 type housing etc. The west side of Reynoldsburg is basically an extension of Whitehall.
Uggh! Section 8...that'll destroy an area quicker than anything.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 AM

5 posts, read 28,996 times
Pickerington, but further out toward lancaster. Reynoldsburg has been getting a lot worse especially off brice rd (from my experience at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus