Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 10:34 AM

41 posts, read 152,377 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Columbus & my wife will be working just off of Dublin Granville Rd in Westerville. We spent the weekend driving around the area and love the community of Worthington. The price range of "Colonial Hills" neighborhood may be the only thing in Worthington we could afford. What are the general perceptions of Worthington-is it considered a hoity-toity community focused on status and income? We do not want to live in that type of community or feel like outsiders living in the more modest colonial hills neighborhood. We also drove through Clintonville but were concerned if area is safe for young family and quality of the public schools. We love the closeness to the city and OSU as well as the many homes with character. However, not sure if we would feel comfortable in Clintonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 07:56 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,338 times
Worthington is great for families!

Although it's perceived as a place with above-average incomes, you'll hardly ever hear Worthington folks talk about that. It's definitely not like Upper Arlington or Dublin—preoccupied with wealth and status. Worthingtonians are generally much more laid back.

Don't forget, there are areas outside of Worthington proper that still belong to the Worthington school district (zip code 43235). You may find more affordable homes in any of those neighborhoods as well. Newer housing stock there, too—mostly post-1980s.

Of course, you've probably already noticed the quaintness of Worthington's historic downtown. They really take pride in their heritage, and keeping the town beautiful.

Clintonville is sometimes called the "suburb that's in the city" since it is actually part of incorporated Columbus. Your kids would go to Columbus schools there () unless you plan on sending them to private schools. Also, Clintonville is a lot more liberal than Worthington. Many Clintonville people hold beliefs and practice lifestyles that are at variance with traditional American values. If that's OK with you, then living there shouldn't be a problem. But it's worth being forewarned...

If I were raising children, I'd much prefer Worthington over the snobbier suburbs or the liberal quasi-urban neighborhoods.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:35 PM

41 posts, read 152,377 times
Thanks for the info. on Worthington. Just found out that wife's position will only be in the Columbus office 1 day per week, but 4 days per week will be based in Chilicothe. Now we are really not sure where to look- doesn't look like there's much to see south of columbus!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:53 AM

No problem zipscott!

Chillicothe is actually a nice little town. It's got some unique history to it (was Ohio's state capital, twice!) and there are many cool older buildings and houses there toward the center of town.

Halfway b/t Chillicothe and Columbus is another neat town: Circleville. It's the seat of P i c kaway Co., smaller than Chillicothe but also very charming. Circleville is famous for its annual pumpkin show every October. Whenever I've been in Circleville, I always get a sense of its great pride in community. It has a certain "Norman Rockwell" quality I find very appealing.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:34 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,545 times
Worthington is a very nice suburb to live with a family. Perfect for families and for raising kids

Old 05-03-2007, 11:55 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,426 times
I grew up in Worthington
I am very partial to the areas of worthington that are actually in the city limits though, the sections of columbus that surround worthington are more suburban yet newer and offer some huge homes, but lack the actual town feeling that you will get if you live in the older section of worthington.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I grew up in Worthington
I am very partial to the areas of worthington that are actually in the city limits though, the sections of columbus that surround worthington are more suburban yet newer and offer some huge homes, but lack the actual town feeling that you will get if you live in the older section of worthington.
That's true. The "West Worthington" part of Columbus is really more of an area than a cohesive neighborhood. Unlike Worthington proper—or even unincorporated Clintonville—there is no common focal point to West Worthington like a downtown or a central commercial/recreation district. Heck, I think its defining entity is actually the 43235 post office!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus