Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sorry, I agree that Columbus, the city, has no core.
I live in German village, which is considered part of the city by others, but we don't consider ourselves part of the city.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...#ixzz0ZAISrmJl
Sorry but I know many that live in the villages/neighborhoods of Columbus, including myself, and they do consider themself part of columbus. Each other these areas do have their own neighborhood identity which only speaks to the strength of these city neighborhoods.

And you can call it a "center" "core" whatever you like, but urban columbus is the definition of a city core. If you look at the cities' size and population around the 1900s it wasn't that far different than Dallas. Columbus had 50-60 sq. miles by 1940 and this is the cities' older, more urban feeling core.

The appeal of downtown or its density can be debated. However, that doesn't mean that Columbus lacks an urban core (because you feel the downtown is spread out or not very dense). One does not mitigate the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:23 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
I live in German village, which is considered part of the city by others, but we don't consider ourselves part of the city.
What are you, a stand-alone village?

I don't consider German Village part of downtown Columbus, but it's definitely part of the city. It's an urban neighborhood smack dab in the middle of a city--I don't know what else you could possible be considered. Unless you're using "downtown" and "the city" synonymously.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:54 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,704 times
Quote:
I don't consider German Village part of downtown Columbus, but it's definitely part of the city. It's an urban neighborhood smack dab in the middle of a city--I don't know what else you could possible be considered.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...#ixzz0ZNO9YGP9
Yes, exactly. German Village is a neighborhood in the center of the city of columbus that is the definition of the urban core of columbus.

Urban Core: A downtown surrounded (in a ring) many neighborhoods developed before the dominating use of the automobile.

Luckily, Columbus has many great urban core neighborhoods. German Village being just one (though some of the highest pricing costs, for Columbus.)

Anyone who has been in Columbus has realized that what makes Columbus' urbancore great isn't the downtown alone. It is the combination of many neighborhoods with intact, lively retail streets. These neighborhoods almost act as a collection of individual towns with their own mini downtowns.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:19 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
What are you, a stand-alone village?

I don't consider German Village part of downtown Columbus, but it's definitely part of the city. It's an urban neighborhood smack dab in the middle of a city--I don't know what else you could possible be considered. Unless you're using "downtown" and "the city" synonymously.
Yes, I was. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

(However I have heard someone suggesting the GV withdraw from the city, more than once

Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoerin View Post
Since I am sure you won't take the time to do the research (and admit you are wrong), Here is the 2009 list of Fortune 500 companies in Columbus. Next to it, you will see the same companies and their ranking in 2000.[SIZE=3]
JP Morgan Chase, Fortune 16-2000 ranking 31
[/SIZE]
Wait, are you just picking companies that are large that have locations in Columbus?

Chase is headquartered in New York.

Heck, you might as well include Exxon (fortune 1), Walmart (fortune 2), General Motors (fortune 4) and all the other companies that have a stores here.

Chicagoerin who accuses people; "I am sure you won't take the time to do the research (and admit you are wrong)"

Old 12-13-2009, 02:42 PM

216 posts, read 627,795 times
Hey Tenzo, I think Chicago is calling you back. Bah Bye now. Safe travels.

Wow, I thought you were intelligent enough to figure out the correlation. Guess not, let me spell it out for you. The list is of the largest employers in Columbus and their correlating Fortune numbers. Does it make sense to you now? Actually, now that I think about it, anyone that spend their time (and MAN it looks like you have a lot of time) posting juvenile cartoon pictures on a the web might need to have it spelled out. Feel free to ask me for help if you have any other questions.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 PM

314 posts, read 639,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Anyone who has been in Columbus has realized that what makes Columbus' urbancore great isn't the downtown It is the combination of many neighborhoods with intact, lively retail streets. These neighborhoods almost act as a collection of individual towns with their own mini downtowns.

That's because 'downtown' is almost nonexistent. German village is nice, but most big cities have a downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods.

Just saying.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Wow, I thought you were intelligent enough to figure out the correlation. Guess not, let me spell it out for you. The list is of the largest employers in Columbus and their correlating Fortune numbers. Does it make sense to you now? Actually, now that I think about it, anyone that spend their time (and MAN it looks like you have a lot of time) posting juvenile cartoon pictures on a the web might need to have it spelled out. Feel free to ask me for help if you have any other questions.

Sorry, but to me that is a silly correlation.

I can take a town of 2,000 people and they will have fortune 500 employers.

Or if you take your words
Quote:
Here is the 2009 list of Fortune 500 companies in Columbus
Then you should be including Exxon and Walmart.

So going back to my point, naming fortune 500 companies that have a presense in Columbus proves nothing.

(Also, reverting to insulting people with differing opinions is a sure sign that your 'facts' are on shaky ground)

Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM

158 posts, read 404,235 times
Quote:

It has been a little busy, but I will find that list I was referring to and will post it for everyone to review.

Chicagoerin---"The list is of the largest employers in Columbus and their correlating Fortune numbers."
Well, that isn't true. It is simply a list of Fortune 500 companies in Columbus. The largest employers are not even on this list ie.. State of Ohio, City of Columbus, Franklin County, OSU, Batelle, Nationwide Insurance. If you are a recruiter you should know that the largest employers are govt. followed by the university by far. Tenzo is right. The list I am referring to are Fortune 500 companies that were headquartered in Columbus. Not those that simply have offices, branches, or operations here.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:19 PM

216 posts, read 627,795 times
coach-good point..I did leave out all the governmental employers, the university, hospitals,etc. But back to the original claim that many have pulled out..which ones of these either Fortune or the list you mentioned, have moved out of Columbus? I do hope you find the list, as I would like to see it. So, to make my list accurate, let's add the others you metnioned and then evaluate who from the list has left Columbus. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus