U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 AM

51 posts, read 212,450 times
Default Is OSU/Columbus right for me?

I'd like to thank you all in advance for having taken the time to read and hopefully help me help my brother arrive at the right decision by answering/replying to this post.

My brother is graduating from HS out in California and is planning on seeking a degree in Business (accounting/finance) and/or Economics. He has a couple of good in-state schools in mind (USC, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UC Berkely, Pepperdine, Loyola and Stanford {he would have to retake the SAT and score a bit higher..} but has recently given going out-of-state a thought. Out of state schools he is looking into are: Purdue, Boston College, UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, Penn State, Darmouth, Cornell and OSU (hence this tread).

For what I remember reading OSU's School of Business,more specifically its accounting program is ranked in the top 10 in the nation.

From an OSU alumnus perspective,

1) How would you rate OSU's Business School program and your personal experience in it?

2) How would you rate your overall college experience at OSU? (college town feel, Greek life, nightlife/amenities/lifestyle, community involvement, community surrounding campus etc) How was your overall college experience affected, if at all, as a result of OSU's surrounding area?

3) How would you rate Columbus? (nightlife, bars, cultural/recreational attractions?) How far is OSU from Downtown Columbus/nightlife?

4) Quality of lifestyle? (weather, rent compared to surrounding areas, public transportation, job market, diversity/racism/prejudice) Would I need a vehicle to get around(compared to living in L.A.)?

Keeping in mind that he is from Southern California, will weather be a huge key determinant factor? How cold does it get during the winter?

5) OSU/Columbus Pros/Cons?

6) Anything else that you would like to share that you feel is critical and would help decide if OSU is right for my brother Ryan?

Once again thanks for your time and replies!!!

Last edited by ValleyBoy85; 11-05-2009 at 05:23 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 02:31 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,251,991 times
Try here for good advice:

Ohio State University - Columbus - College Confidential

Old 11-06-2009, 12:17 AM

362 posts, read 921,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyBoy85 View Post
I'd like to thank you all in advance for having taken the time to read and hopefully help me help my brother arrive at the right decision by answering/replying to this post.

My brother is graduating from HS out in California and is planning on seeking a degree in Business (accounting/finance) and/or Economics. He has a couple of good in-state schools in mind (USC, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UC Berkely, Pepperdine, Loyola and Stanford {he would have to retake the SAT and score a bit higher..} but has recently given going out-of-state a thought. Out of state schools he is looking into are: Purdue, Boston College, UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, Penn State, Darmouth, Cornell and OSU (hence this tread).

For what I remember reading OSU's School of Business,more specifically its accounting program is ranked in the top 10 in the nation.

From an OSU alumnus perspective,

1) How would you rate OSU's Business School program and your personal experience in it?

2) How would you rate your overall college experience at OSU? (college town feel, Greek life, nightlife/amenities/lifestyle, community involvement, community surrounding campus etc) How was your overall college experience affected, if at all, as a result of OSU's surrounding area?

3) How would you rate Columbus? (nightlife, bars, cultural/recreational attractions?) How far is OSU from Downtown Columbus/nightlife?

4) Quality of lifestyle? (weather, rent compared to surrounding areas, public transportation, job market, diversity/racism/prejudice) Would I need a vehicle to get around(compared to living in L.A.)?

Keeping in mind that he is from Southern California, will weather be a huge key determinant factor? How cold does it get during the winter?

5) OSU/Columbus Pros/Cons?

6) Anything else that you would like to share that you feel is critical and would help decide if OSU is right for my brother Ryan?

Once again thanks for your time and replies!!!
I can't answer for the Business school (I'm a criminology major), but I'll chime in for the other things.

2. The University District has as much of a "college town feel" as you're going to find anywhere. A lot of the stereotypical college activities, nightlife, ect. is all very pronounced all over high st. Campus isn't part of downtown, but it is close. Not walking distance close, but you can see the skyline from Lane avenue (the major street on campus thats the farthest to the north of the main campus area). There's plenty to do and see. OSU is the largest public university in the country, so anything that flourishes in college towns across America will be here.

3. I'm going to be blunt here, and I expect to get some backlash here, but if I wasn't honest, I wouldn't be helping you much. I think the Columbus nightlife is mediocre at best, but it depends on what you're looking for. If you're between the ages of 18-22 and make some friends, you're probably going to love it here. I'm closer to 30 than 20, and I have a hard time finding places to hang out past 10pm that aren't undergrad in nature. People love the nightlife in the Short North, but if you ask me, it's targeted towards the 21-24 age group. There are a few good laid-back places, but you really have to seek them out. Columbus has a lot to offer, but this is an area it's lacking if you ask me. Downtown is especially bleak for nightlife.

4. Weather here is pretty typical, meaning that if it's fall, it's going to feel like fall. If it's summer, it's going to feel like summer. You'll get a lot of grey skies and rainy days, but I like the summers here. They're hot and humid and sunny - just like summer is supposed to be if you ask me. Winter is cold and rainy, with the occaisional snowstorm, but the snow here isn't like I grew up with in Pittsburgh and I mean this as a good thing. I can't stand driving around in 3-4 inches of snow and taking an hour to scrape off my car to drive to campus for a a lecture of equal length. It's going to be night and day from SoCal. In January, you can expect temps to be in the 20's, 30's, and low 40's consistently.

Public transportation is here (COTA is city-wide, CABS is around the university district), but I would highly recommend you have an automobile here. You will have a less effective lifestyle without one - Columbus just isn't that type of city.

US News just voted Columbus as one of the best cities in America to find a job. Ohio in general might not be an occupational hotbed, but Columbus transcends that. There are lots of good jobs here for people who are willing to work hard for them. This is probably Columbus's strong point and one of the reasons it's a very solid city to move to.

Diversity is all over the city. I've lived in New York, Frisco, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Atlanta (and obviously Columbus) and Columbus is one of the most diverse and least racist places I've ever lived. People are friendly and accepting here, at least compared to my experiences prior to moving here.

4. Columbus has a lot of pros and cons, most of which I've already mentioned. There are tons of different restaurants and entertainment options, and shopping here is great - Polaris and Easton are both ideal places to spend money and enjoy the atmosphere. One of the biggest pros is that if you know where, you can live within the city and still live in a nice neighborhood. That can't be said for many cities in the midwest. There are a few cons - If you get sick of chain restaurants and stores, you really have to do some major hunting to be satisfied. Traffic here can be a real pain, but once you learn different routes, peak traffic times, and certain traffic hotspots, you can get around it. The people here are very friendly - except when behind the wheel of a vehicle. Ohio drivers don't get a bad rap for nothing. Of course, if you've dealt with LA traffic, you're going to think I-270 is a walk in the park. The only other con with Columbus is a con similar to SoCal - you need to know where you are. Columbus has tons of nice neighborhoods, but it does have it's share of crime and rough neighborhoods. If you live on campus in the dorms, you don't have much to worry about. If you're going to live off-campus in the campus area, stay away from south campus east of high st. However, the pros for Columbus do outweigh the cons - this is a good city; albeit one you have to spend some time learning and getting acquainted with.

As for OSU, like any schools, there will be pros and cons. It's a huge school, and you may encounter large classes at times, which can be a turn-off for some people. It's very avoidable though. If someone spends a lot of time surverying the course catalog, you can often find smaller classes to substitute for the large ones. My biggest class to date has been 75 students. My second largest class has been 30. The biggest pro of going to OSU is the camaraderie that comes with being a Buckeye. There is a lot of school pride here and it shows in all facets of the school. Does OSU have major issues? Of course it does. There are bad professors and good professors at every school. There are students that go to great schools for all the wrong reasons and vice versa. I've literally gone to 7 different schools (I moved around a LOT for work) in different areas of the country and Ohio State, despite it's size, made me feel at home, and I don't have a lot of friends here. It's a great place to learn. And if you even remotely like sports, you'll fall in love here for that alone. Any other advice I would give you about OSU would be general college advice that would help you anywhere.

Flying or driving cross country for a college/city visit isn't easy, but it's the only way you're ever going to be even close to 100% sure if you want Ryan to move here. I'd keep an open mind, a soft spot in your heart for the Buckeyes, fly out to Columbus and spend a few days here. I feel awkward here the first couple days I visited, but I've learned to love it here and call it home. I think there's a good chance you'll feel the same way. If there's anything else I can do to help, feel free to ask.

Good luck and Go Bucks!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:29 PM

215 posts, read 338,606 times
Steelersfan provided a lot of good information!

1. As for question one, I'm currently majoring in accounting and finance with a minor in economics. Both programs are highly ranked and if he is considering of becoming a CPA I would recommend doing a double major in accounting/finance rather then a Masters in accounting. The accounting/finance professors are very knowledgible and helpful. The only concern I have had is that it can be difficult to get into some classes. But that happens at most places. If you have any specific questions dont hesitate to ask. Also here is a link to the business schools website, it has a lot of helpful information:
Fisher College of Business | About the College (http://fisher.osu.edu/about/ranking-and-statistics/rankings - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus