Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,503 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this and new to Columbus. Just moved here from Virginia. Been here now for about five mths. Just got a job that I will be starting at OSU. It sounds great and I was excited about it. I am 30 yrs old, and have two kids I just moved in with my dad to get back on my feet. we were getting along well until I started to see this guy I met here. I don't know anyone and we are just friends with benefits. He has a girlfriend. I just got out of a no good mariage. But, I need advice on is to whether I should stay here, or go back home since, my father and I are physically fighting in the house, he drinks all day. I want to stay here and work but, I need some place to stay with my kids. If I go home I have no place or no job because my husband took everything I owned and left us just with clothes. I am very stressed out. I know there is way more opportunity here than where I come from. That was my whole purpose was to come here and have a clean fresh start for me and my kids but, can't really stay with my dad anymore unless one of gets hurt because, it's not working out. If anyone has any good suggestions please let me know.

Sincerely,
Confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM

768 posts, read 942,486 times
Gut it out for a few months and pocket every dime you can get, so long as your kids are safe and you're not getting your ass beat every night. Then get an apartment. If you can't stand another minute with pops reach out to social services; this country is f'ed up beyond belief, but we generally have a kind heart for single mothers who aren't ghetto trash. They should point you in the right direction.

Beyond the short-term survival advice, there is nothing else I can really say. I dont' want to tell a grown woman what to do with her life. Just remember that when you decided to have kids you essentially made a pact with them that says "it's not about me anymore." But them in the best school districts you can. You can do it.

If you need any help, or contact numbers with social services, PM me. I wish you and your kids the best. Keep fighting. It'll get better.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times
My opinion...you need to aggressively work to get your own housing now...you have kids and they/you don't deserve that environment....are you from NOVA?

Like the above poster said...reach out to social services and see what housing programs they have available...i'm sure they would have something for you..

good luck and be safe..

Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,503 times
Thankyou, both so very much! I will take heed to the words you have said to me. And I will try to get help. I"m from Virginia so, like I said, it's very nice to have this sort of thing to get some kind of advice or help from people when you have no one to talk to. Once, again much appreciated!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:15 PM

105 posts, read 170,528 times
Find Sugar Daddy.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 PM

23 posts, read 59,530 times
Call the cops on your dad and then live in his house while he's in jail.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:25 PM

11 posts, read 64,944 times
Dear Cameron12 - I agree that You Can Do It. And I agree that moving again so soon could be disruptive for your kids. Also, I strongly recommend going to Alanon meetings (for families of people with a drinking problem). It could REALLY make coexisting with your father more workable until you're on your feet and can afford your own place. Don't hesitate -- just give it a try, for your own good and the good of your kids. (Info at Al-Anon/Alateen Information Service (614-253-2701), 1561 Old Leonard Ave, 43219 -- website is <Al-Anon & Alateen of Central Ohio, chair@coafg.org>) After all, there's a chance that you entered into and stayed in a disastrous marriage due to habits and attitudes developed when living with an alcoholic parent. (I know this from personal experience.) Also, your "friend with benefits" has a girlfriend, so please be careful with your heart, and the rest of you -- and consider whether this is more dead-end behavior to avoid. (I don't know how old your kids are, but they will learn by watching you.) Last, I suspect you are stronger and more resourceful that you know and that you just get scared and exhausted and discouraged sometimes. But hang in there. All the best to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus