U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,725,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl1023 View Post
Born and raised in Pittsburgh for 36 years. It has gone down hill so fast in the last 8 years maybe 10 years. Violence is so bad in Pittsburgh, jobs sucks...
...I do not know Cincy too much at all so I am not much help on Cincy. I wish you the best. Also majority of major cities are bad in violence anyways...
No need to enter Cincinnati into the conversation--after all, this erudite pissing-contest is a "Tale of Two Cities," not three.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:48 AM

4,042 posts, read 5,676,548 times
Quote:
My area was stuck in the middle of 4 bad violence gun fight riddled with bullets.
First off, Saint Marys sucks. It in no way is a better city than Pittsburgh, jobs or in any other category. I used to live in New Bremen and know Saint Marys, and that entire God forsaken area very well.

To me it sounds like you lived in a crappy neighborhood and cast your unfortunate experiences over Pittsburgh like the whole city is like that. Every city (of notable size) has bad areas that do not necessarily reflect on the rest of the city. I have learned many, many things about Pittsburgh's recovery that prove you very wrong in your assessment of your native city. To me it sounds like you just don't like it there and slam the city because you had to move.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 PM

1,657 posts, read 3,915,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natpo View Post
FYI: I have a spacious, updated 2 bedroom apartment in a nice area that runs $200 dollars less here in C-Bus than it would back in PGH.
and I'm paying thousands more a month to live in Hawaii.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 AM

13,960 posts, read 21,352,898 times
Quote:
I lived minutes from Kennywood park.
In other words, you lived in the Monongahela River Valley, which is widely known to be the ass end of the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. It's not indicative of the region as a whole. In fact, nothing within three miles of the Monongahela River outside the city of Pittsburgh is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
I found a thread with a Pittsburgh neighborhood map. I think it's something the author made. But the blue areas are the ones that look restored and gentrified. The green, I'd expect to see a mix of shabby and restored. Yellow and red, shabby, neglected but some nicely kept. Red, looking a lot like the pictures of Youngstown, OH.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...investment.png

That map is actually mine, and you're pretty close to correct about the color key. The neighborhoods shaded in BLUE are fully or mostly gentrified. The neighborhoods shaded in GREEN are in the process of gentrifying. The neighborhoods shaded in YELLOW are stagnant, and the neighborhoods shaded in RED are either bottoming out or in obvious decline. As for the green squares, those just indicate which neighborhoods I believe are next in line for reinvestment.

As you can probably tell, the East End neighborhoods are where most of the action is in Pittsburgh. The South Side is gentrified, but the South Hills neighborhoods are stagnant. Parts of the North Side are gentrifying. The West End neighborhoods are all stagnant and tend to be forgotten about. All the declining neighborhoods have high concentrations of Section 8 housing. Don't make too much of gentrified areas being right next to declining areas, because there are a lot of geological barriers between different neighborhoods.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 AM

4,244 posts, read 6,856,170 times
^
what are the little green squares in that map?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:22 PM

13,960 posts, read 21,352,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
what are the little green squares in that map?
Read below the map.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM

37 posts, read 55,072 times
Pittsburgh is much more diverse than Columbus. Job wise.... I'm not so sure. The young educated men and women are migrating to Pittsburgh ( better pay).

Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 PM

448 posts, read 1,417,100 times
okay. I lived in the best of the "tale of two cities".. Born and raised in the PGH area then moved to Delaware Oh my mid years.
Loved and miss them both. (We live in FL now and love it too). PGH has and had more of the ethnic foods that I was used to having as a child. But Columbus area has a type of foods and areas that we loved as well..wings, brats and Senior Antonio's(Lewis Center OH)..We miss their TX Mex food. It was the best
Anyway, both areas have the best of everything. But my heart still remains in PGH. Reason is, when you enter PGH via the tunnels.. Its amazing. Once you pass through, BAM!! Pittsbugh in all its glory. Then down to Primanti brothers for the best sandwich around!! and an IC light!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:15 AM

10 posts, read 41,586 times
Default natpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
and I'm paying thousands more a month to live in Hawaii.

Not really sure why you posted the sarcasm (negative), but for those interested I have found (more) reasonable housing rates in nice areas of Columbus than I ever have in Pittsburgh. This includes the city and the suburbs. The same apartment, neighborhood that I live in here would be more expensive in Pittsburgh and/or for the same rent I would be in a worse neighborhood in Pittsburgh. This is a fact. However I do miss my family and friends, but the quality of life for what I want and need are worth traveling to see them throughout the year.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 AM

96 posts, read 178,436 times
Columbus is one of the most culturally watered down cities in the Midwest. It's beige. It's bland. It's like a giant, unremodeled JC Penney store in a dead mall.

Pittsburgh has far more edge on multiple levels. Even their hillbillies are more interesting and sophisticated than Columbus's hillbillies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus