Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 04:30 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidiandreams View Post
Thanks that was quite helpful I will look into Westerville and Gahanna area and Tuttle Crossing.
My mistake. Tuttle Crossing is over in Dublin.

Little Turtle is in Westerville. Either is fine. Little Turtle is cheaper and less traffic. But it's a pretty nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 04:35 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,704 times
Regarding the Northland/Shrock Rd. area of Columbus: It is a big area. There isn't one generalization that can be made about it other than there are a lot of apartments there and it really depends on the complex. Most people do not have every complex's crime stats or information on how renovated each is. If you are interested in that area it is best to visit each complex in person.

As far as housing there goes, the crime issues are mostly due to the apartments. The homes are just average middle class homes some kept up better than others. Also, there are some stand out areas such as Sharron Woods neighborhood where almost all homes are well kept.

Overall, the area is hardly a ghetto but does lend to be mixed income, diverse, and a lot of apartments all with varying levels of crime. If you are okay with this type of area it is worth looking into, cheaper rentals and home prices, is close to easton, has highway access, and is close to many jobs. However, it is far from the "nicest" areas of the metro that tend to be more stable and have less crime, but it is also far from being one of the scariest neighborhoods (although there are some scary apartment complexes.)

Old 11-23-2010, 04:42 PM

my list of Columbus' scariest neighborhoods:

1) South Linden (very south Cleveland Avenue) Northern Linden/Northern lights have some okay areas but also some very high crime parts as well. This neighborhood is NE of downtown.
2) Parts of the King Lincoln District, just NE of downtown.
3) The Bottoms (the neighborhood just west of downtown behind COSI)
4) Sections of the Hilltop neighborhood on the west side. However, other parts such as Westgate neighborhood are considered part of the larger Hilltop but have decent homes and a strong sense of community, parks, etc..

Columbus neighborhoods that sometimes get generalized as bad but are actually more mixed and have signs of improvement:
1) Olde Town East (just east of downtown). Many homes/apartments have been renovated. The area has just NE of this neighborhood (king Lincoln) is improving but decently high in crime.
2) The neighborhoods east of Parsons and SE of downtown. These areas are hardly a utopia, they do have higher crime than some other areas, but there are many homes being fixed up and the area is not overall one of the worst and could be in for a drastic improvement (being it is so close to other gentrified neighborhoods such as German Village and Merion Village)
3) Parts of the east side, east of the suburb Bexley. For example, the neighborhood known as Eastmoor is stable, diverse, and has many quaint homes. The area is sometimes labeled as "ghetto" but is far from a ghetto while it is mixed income.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM

32 posts, read 109,462 times
South linden. South of 17 th street. North from 17th should be fine.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:11 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpig1 View Post
South linden. South of 17 th street. North from 17th should be fine.
Eh, I'd put it up closer to Hudson. A lot of abandoned houses and shady blocks north of 17th.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 AM

6 posts, read 26,425 times
Try being downtown around the time they let out the jailers for a scary event. Sadly, it appears that most of the will be on their way back in within less than a hour of being released. At least they tell me they were just released from Jail and they normally showed up at North High from 11pm-1am.

I could write a ton of tips about surviving a scary area but the best one is to avoid it if at all possible. I use to believe the proper way to behave was without fear, like I was tough. I have since changed that approach into someone who has a place to be and a time in which to be there. It gave me the freedom of not being messed with while at the same time I didn't appear rude or challenging to anyone else. I had to walk some pretty bad streets every night on my way home from columbus state. Would catch the number 2 bus to Ohio Ave and walk to where my car was parked 3 nights a week at around midnight.

I only prevented one lady from being hurt/raped in the area, she lost her purse but the guy wanted more than that from her. I've never been thanked so many times in my life. I couldn't believe she purposely ran into an alley where no one was to get away...

Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdhelp View Post
Try being downtown around the time they let out the jailers for a scary event. Sadly, it appears that most of the will be on their way back in within less than a hour of being released. At least they tell me they were just released from Jail and they normally showed up at North High from 11pm-1am.

I could write a ton of tips about surviving a scary area but the best one is to avoid it if at all possible. I use to believe the proper way to behave was without fear, like I was tough. I have since changed that approach into someone who has a place to be and a time in which to be there. It gave me the freedom of not being messed with while at the same time I didn't appear rude or challenging to anyone else. I had to walk some pretty bad streets every night on my way home from columbus state. Would catch the number 2 bus to Ohio Ave and walk to where my car was parked 3 nights a week at around midnight.

I only prevented one lady from being hurt/raped in the area, she lost her purse but the guy wanted more than that from her. I've never been thanked so many times in my life. I couldn't believe she purposely ran into an alley where no one was to get away...
I have no idea what on earth you are talking about.

Downtown, Jailers? Is this 1850? There is a county jail downtown, maybe they use buses to transport them (like on a highway).

But back to reality downtown is one of the safest areas of downtown.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 PM

6 posts, read 26,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post

Downtown, Jailers? Is this 1850? There is a county jail downtown, maybe they use buses to transport them (like on a highway).

They would tell me they had just been released from jail and needed money/ride to some strange place. I worked and went the school around there so I saw this often. Maybe it is a county jail. Why would they need a bus to transport them?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post

I meant safest areas of the city

Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,364 times
The suburban areas of Columbus will scare you bored. As far as crime in urban areas, most of the NE side especially South Linden into North Linden and also the North Central hoods aree pretty bad (centered on E 5th and Joyce) along with Krumm Park which is another embarrassment juxtaposed with vibrant Bexley to the south (also on E 5th) and lastly Milo-Grogan (yet another on E 5th), most of the SE side is not so great particularly Southern Orchards which gives South Linden a run for its money and pretty much all of Livingston and Lockbourne Rd are horrendous, Main and Mt Vernon stretches in the Near East side are almost totally worthless even after decades of so-called gentrifcation, the South Side around Parsons and all of Steelton is bad, the eastern portion of the Hilltop has some high crime pockets, the interior of Weinland Park is still pretty nasty...way more than there should be really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus