Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 AM

34 posts, read 102,818 times

Advertisements

My husband may be taking on a new job near Granville. We currently live in Tampa. We heard if me move anywhere within driving distance of his work, it should be Granville. Wondering if it's as great as everyone says and if the schools are good. We have an elementary school aged daughter and a middle school aged son. Any advice on Granville or surrounding areas would be appreciated. We love the outdoors, hiking, biking etc...and my kids are very much into athletics. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 02:09 PM

490 posts, read 864,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph2699 View Post
My husband may be taking on a new job near Granville. We currently live in Tampa. We heard if me move anywhere within driving distance of his work, it should be Granville. Wondering if it's as great as everyone says and if the schools are good. We have an elementary school aged daughter and a middle school aged son. Any advice on Granville or surrounding areas would be appreciated. We love the outdoors, hiking, biking etc...and my kids are very much into athletics. Thanks
Granville is a great little college town. If you didn't know any better, you might think you are in New England. They have a few nice restaurants and shops on the main street (Broadway?) and Denison University provides a bit of culture. The schools are very highly rated and it's not too big of a district, so the schools are not overwhelmingly big. The housing ranges from neat older homes in town to newer developments on the outskirts. Only downside to Granville is you're a bit removed from Columbus, though with the new 161 now complete, it's not a bad drive to Easton (shopping area with Nordstrom, Macy's, etc.) or even to downtown Columbus.

The other option you might look at is living in New Albany and commuting to Granville. New Albany is an upscale suburb with lots of georgian brick homes, good schools and better proximity to Columbus. I'm not familiar with the other public school districts out that way, and the only private school I've heard of is Newark Catholic high school and its feeder schools which are supposedly pretty good, though if you decide on Granville, I think you'd be all set and have no need for a private option.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:45 PM

205 posts, read 653,930 times
Granville has an excellent private school (Welsh Hills). Its a beautiful little town with an amazing art college and I have heard the schools are very good. I know they have a very progressive healthy lunch program. I agree that the only real downside will be having to live out in the middle of nowhere.

New Albany is 15 minutes down 161 with top notch schools, a great parks and rec program, lots of leisure trails and an awesome aquatic center.

Basically comes down to whether you feel more comfortable in a small town outside of a metro area or a suburb on the edge of the metro area. Can't really go wrong either way, just a matter of personal preference.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 PM

34 posts, read 102,818 times
The opportunity is closer to Cumberland...I would prefer Granville because I have heard nothing but amazing things about it. What town would anyone suggest that's a bit closer to Cumberland? Is there a town that even comes close to Granville but is closer to Cumberland?

Thanks

Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM

205 posts, read 653,930 times
Cumberland is about an hour from Granville...that would be quite the commute, especially in the winter for someone not used to snow and ice. With that said, I don't know of anything out there like Granville. Pretty much small rural towns surrounding Zanesville.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,485 times
I live in Ganville and all the shops are awesome. Great food in town plus a park you can go to and there is also a bike path at the park and if you follow it, it leads you to Granville.The historical museum and old bell are neat to see, the schools have healthy foods good children ... There is no bullying no uniforms and great nice teachers I would really go with Granville
they do almost every team/ individual sport you can think of ... Granville is close so I won't be surprised if you get some new friends quick good luck

GO BLUE ACES *

Last edited by Eleanormale; 04-05-2012 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Good luck

Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 AM

114 posts, read 204,537 times
I too live in Granville, well in the school system but not within the village proper. At one time, Granville schools made it on a Wall Street Jornal top 10 list of best school systems. All of our children went through the school system and it prepared them well for college...no remedial courses needed and freshman subjects were "easy" based on their Granville experience. Lots of people move into Granville to get into the school system and then move out to avoid the property taxes. Great cycling community if you are in to that. Good hiking opportunities around, especially a rather hilly Dennison Bio Reserve. Hope you're ready for the winter weather coming from FL. Don't get that much snow but the perpetual gray skies from Nov-Feb are depressing. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 PM

26 posts, read 53,691 times
We lived in Granville for a year and I can vouch for the schools being pretty good. The athletic programs aren't to shabby either. As someone mentioned earlier, it does have sort of a New England feel to it. However, an hour commute would get extremely tiring, IMO. I've been to Zanesville a few times and it seemed like an okay town. If Granville ends up being a little to far out of the way I would settle somewhere on the outskirts of Zanesville.

On a side note, we will be moving to Tampa in a couple months. We love the fours seasons and such around here, but I'd much rather be in a tropical climate near the sand (somewhere between Clearwater and Sarasota).

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM

35 posts, read 83,732 times
Flimflam,

Just curious -- why did you only stay in Granville a year? Wondering how you found the people there (friendly? interesting?) and whether you felt too isolated from Columbus. Also, were the college students problematic? Thanks! (And enjoy the Tampa weather!)

Old 02-10-2015, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,742 times
We are a family of four also considering a move to Granville for a job. We live in Chicago now but my husband and I grew up in New England small towns and we really miss living in a friendly, safe, pretty town with a strong commitment to community. I know small towns can vary as to how warm and welcoming they are to newcomers, especially those without young children (ours are older). Would those of you who know Granville characterize it is as generally welcoming to new residents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus