U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 9,892 times
Default South Central Hilltop/Franklin?

Does anyone know about the area that includes Racine Ave? I was born in Colombus, Ohio, but have never lived there...Recently divorced and mother to a teenaged daughter who is suffering severe depression, I am looking to make a new life for us and hoping to avoid any problems-Also, any advice on good high schools in the area would be very helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 PM

556 posts, read 810,966 times
Not the greatest area. If you can afford it, look up towards Westgate.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:55 PM

9 posts, read 13,080 times
Absolutely, DO NOT live north of Sullivant Ave between the Bottoms and Westgate. I am moving from there because I am tired of hearing "ghettocopters" (police helicopters) almost every night along with gunfire

Old 02-27-2010, 08:24 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,667,800 times
I second the other comments. That is not a place you want to be.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm a hearin' ya. (Ah, but the house looks so cute!!!! Bye-bye cute house! Had my share of the gunfire business living in Norfolk, Va for about 15 years-Those last years got rougher and rougher!)

So, Westgate would be relatively safe and almost as affordable? What about Whitehall? Clintonville? Lindon or East Lindon? I am on a budget and looking for a place not far from the city, good high schools, and safety.

Also, I play my electric guitar loudly upon occaission(a few times a week) Any particularly "hip" areas where musicians would be tolerated? The kid wants a drumkit eventually. The house on Racine had one of those old-building-type old garages...Any safe places where those kind of old garages exist without the back-alley crime to go with them?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM

925 posts, read 1,939,920 times
If you wish to stay on the west side, Westgate as far as safety is concerned would be your best bet. Clintonville is pretty nice but South Clintonville is much more affordable than North Clintonville. There is no " East Linden" for Linden is divided into two neighborhoods - North Linden and South Linden. Hudson St. is the dividing boundary of the two neighborhoods. The former (NL) is not too bad but it gets better the further west of McGuffey Road while east of MGR can be sketchy in some areas. The latter (SL) I would avoid at all costs- parts of it is downright ghetto. Whitehall is a "Tale of Two Cities" meaning some parts are still decent ( the back streets with well kept single family homes built in the 1950s and 1960s). Other parts like along Main and Broad Sts.and Hamilton and Yearling Roads etc. can get very sketchy if not true ghetto. I would definitely avoid the apartment complexes along those above mentioned streets. When I first came to Columbus in 1994 they were still very nice but they have severely declined within the last ten years. As far as hip areas that are musician friendly are concerned my best bet would be South Clintonville. The dividing boundary between South and North Clintonvilles is North Broadway. I hope this helps you out somewhat.

Last edited by otters21; 02-28-2010 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 AM

Thanks, otters21! There's so much to look at! ; )

Old 02-28-2010, 02:01 PM

925 posts, read 1,939,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lland View Post
Thanks, otters21! There's so much to look at! ; )
You are quite welcome. Welcome to Columbus.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 AM

Anyone familiar with Independence Village? Arrowsmith Dr? This area is just south of I-70 in the south part of the Reynoldsburg area-If I bought a house here, my daughter would go to Independence or Reynoldsburg High School-Anyone know anything about the new High School that is due to be built for Reynoldsburg area teens? Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus