U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 PM

20 posts, read 44,779 times

Advertisements

OK, so in Columbus, where are they. I recently visited, as it loks like i will betaking a job in the area and the realtor who we met with (after a late change due to availiability) didn't know much about areas other than high street from downtown to worthington, and the edge of city suburbs. Basically though, we don't want to be in the suburbs, that's not our style and we can't afford anywhere between 315 and 71 and definitely can't afford the north west of the city. That should leave about 2/3 of the city to choose from and aside from german Villiage, minerva park and Bexley, it is everywhere south or east within 270 is pretty affordable for us but it seems that all the rest of the city is regarded as dangerous.

Surely it can't be that all the nice people live in the burbs or the trendy bid down the middle and the remaining 2/3 is full of dodgy shopping strips, borded up properties and nightly visits from ghetto birds. I exagerate of course, but that's the perception that i get.

We're happy to be in an diverse area of the city, and would love it to be near some shops or something, a bus route, a library (i hear columbus library service is in the US top 10 for many years) and would love to be vaguely safe, where people from some of the other areas of the city wouldn't have a problem with parking their car nearby if they visited us.

The areas we may be able to do are north linden (though that seems to get a bad rep too) and central merion villiage, (though probably north of frebis is too expensive) but we are told Parsons is very sketchy and anything the other side of the street is bad, even across from german villiages and it's 200K+ for a tiny place pricing - is it really that dramatic of a change? Is the whole of 43206 and 43207 bad except for german villiage and merion villiage. Is bexley the only good bit of the east side.

Aside from north linden and merion villiage, are there any otherplaces we should be thingking of. Old town east? Kings lincoln? Eastmoor/berwick?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 PM

198 posts, read 475,168 times
you could try the forest park area in columbus. It's basically on Karl Rd between 161 and morse road. both sides of the road. Older homes built around 1960-1970.

I just bought a house here for $117,000. Seems to be a nice place to live so far. If you get near the apartments which line up against I-71, things can get dangerous at night... so stay away from them.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 AM

158 posts, read 362,886 times
I would check out the 43209 zip code. Most of it is going to be Bexley, but it also includes areas like Berwick and Eastmoor which are a lot more affordable.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:21 AM

146 posts, read 304,192 times
Look in 43212, includes areas close to Grandview Heights, ect. Are you considering schools?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 PM

37 posts, read 94,166 times
In 43207, you could look into Hamilton Meadows I guess? Houses from the 1960s/70s, Hamilton schools consistently get good ratings, seems safe

Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 PM

20 posts, read 44,779 times
Thanks all, i'll look those areas up.

Other1: Are you considering schools?

right now we have no kids so schools are not a priority, but it would be nice to be less than a mile from an elementary so if we do have a family and like the area we don't have to move for that.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM

198 posts, read 475,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechris View Post

We're happy to be in an diverse area of the city, and would love it to be near some shops or something, a bus route, a library (i hear columbus library service is in the US top 10 for many years) and would love to be vaguely safe, where people from some of the other areas of the city wouldn't have a problem with parking their car nearby if they visited us.
And the Columbus Metropolitan Library is rated top 3 in the nation for the past 10 years straight. Not to mention it hit #1 three times during those 10 years.

Trust me on this. I work there

The Forest Park area (43229) is right next to the Karl Rd library branch. It's one of the largest branches in the system and almost the busiest in terms of computer usage... I'm sure the main library is the only building that beats it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or