U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 PM

123 posts, read 354,815 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's achievable at this point. I lived in Columbus most of 2009 and moved out last August. I've missed the city and the people more dearly than any other place I've lived. I want to move back to Columbus but I feel that jobs there are extremely scarce. When I was living there last summer, the unemployment was skyrocketing and so many people I know lost their jobs. I was lucky enough to have a job but I didn't get too many employers calling me when I was out applying. I feel that the job situation there is likely way worse than it was last summer, even. My best friend knows a manager at a local Taco Bell and has said that he's got more applications than he knows what to do with. So it's even hard to get a low paying job at a place like Taco Bell and that's quite scary. So be honest, is Columbus a good place for jobs right now? It seems like it will be quite difficult to land any type of job there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:01 AM

122 posts, read 334,840 times
I'm in the same position, wanting to move back but the job thing is holding me back. But one good thing, temp services do have jobs, but I only want to do that as a last resort

Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 AM

66 posts, read 90,505 times
With the exception of a few high-skill fields, the job market is still very competitive. I wouldn't recommend moving until you have a job offer lined up. I was speaking with a colleague who does job search consulting, and he mentioned that the average turnaround for a typical jobseeker in Columbus is 5-6 months. With good networking, it can be reduced to 3-4 months but that's a big leap of faith unless you've got 6-8 months expenses in savings.

If you do want to move back, I can recommend some resources to help with your job search.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:37 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,775,992 times
I'm in the same situation. I went to a bunch of temp agencies a few months ago. They all could get me a job pretty easily but they only paid $10-12 an hour. That is doable I guess but not very appealing.

I had a couple companies call me about jobs but they weren't really what I was looking for.

I'm waiting until August or so and am going to try again.

I don't think Columbus is any worse off then most places as far as jobs go. And things seem to be gettting better. The Dispatch ran an article a couple weeks ago about 3 banks (Huntington was one, can't remember the others) that were adding jobs downtown. I think it was about 5,000 total over the next few years. That should help things a lot.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,720 times
Man, I miss Columbus too. I first moved there in 2003 from Illinois. Me bein' stupid and homesick, I kept moving back and forth from Illinois to Ohio a few times.

I can honestly say that there isn't anything I don't love about Columbus. For a city it's size, it's not difficult to get from one side of the city to the other.

My wife works at Illinois State University, and whenever we make that move, she'd like a job at an institution. I will probably move there before she does, but I still try to look at postings for her at OSU, OWU, Columbus State, etc.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,699,507 times
Columbus, like most other cities across America, has also sustained some job losses ... though not nearly as extreme as most other cities, particularly the other "metros" in Ohio. ( Akron, Cle, Cincy, Toledo )
I moved to Columbus in 2009 to take a position. From what I have seen, experienced and researched, Columbus is actually a city with a very healthy job market.
It was just recently ranked again by US NEWS & WORLD REPORT as one of the TOP 10 CITIES IN AMERICA for JOBS.
From all of the flurry of construction occuring all over metro Columbus, I'd say that finding employment here is easier than in most other cities.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 AM

123 posts, read 354,815 times
Well, my wife and I are both low income workers. So a job that pays 10-12 dollars an hour would be fine as long as we both have jobs. That being said, we don't have an enormous budget to relocate. It will cost me too much money to travel back and forth from Nebraska to do job interviews. Last time I moved to Ohio I moved into a friend's place right off the bat and payed a low rent until I found a place and a job. It took me about 2 1/2 weeks to land a job after heavy searching and this was in March of 2009. Even then, it was still pretty hard. I'd like to pull off maybe staying at a weekly rate hotel for a few weeks and seeing if we can both land jobs in 3 weeks. It's possible but risky! Any suggestions?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 AM

37 posts, read 90,256 times
Unless you have savings you can rely on, or credit cards with really high limits you are willing to live off of for a while, that sounds incredibly dangerous. I would say finding a job in under a month would be almost impossible, particularly for the sort of low income job you seem to be looking for. There are already far too many people here looking for those sorts of jobs and when you consider it is summer and now there are teenagers competing for any seasonal work.. if you are lucky enough to have a job where you are, I would stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus