U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2010, 02:06 PM

181 posts, read 160,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
At most. "Computers are expensive" is frankly a ridiculous statement. For what they can do and how powerful/big (HD space) they are now they are extremely inexpensive, and even the cheapest PC is more than enough for at least 90% of the people out there - the real bottleneck being graphics (which few people need much if any of anyway) and the new OSs, which people keep buying only to keep up w/the Joneses.
yeah, what he said!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:22 AM

5,450 posts, read 5,207,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I had no problems at all with L4D2.

And no, you don't have to upgrade your computer every few years anymore, you just need to shell out 3-500 bucks for a new game console.
Not saying everyone HAD problems with it. Just my experience.

Yes, you do need to upgrade your computer every few years. That will never change. And yea, I may need to buy a new PS every few years as well. But again... not getting my ass handed to me by someone who can afford a $3,800 PC while mine was "only $1,000".

Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 AM

6,428 posts, read 7,923,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not saying everyone HAD problems with it. Just my experience.

Yes, you do need to upgrade your computer every few years. That will never change. And yea, I may need to buy a new PS every few years as well. But again... not getting my ass handed to me by someone who can afford a $3,800 PC while mine was "only $1,000".
Don't know where you get your computers built, but $3800 would get you 2 or 3 top of the line gaming rigs. I rebuilt mine a year and a half ago and spent only $1200, and it'll still play anything that's available at max resolution and perfectly acceptable frame rates.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM

18,737 posts, read 20,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You've got this guy's number.

He also makes a habit out of bragging about his $35,000 bike collection and his collection of skirt suits -- which he wears to job fairs and then wonders why he doesn't have a job. But he still manages to have $35,000 worth of bikes and $4,000 worth of computer equipment.
Um.... WTF?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
As far as gaming is concerned I think consoles are awesome, but they will never replace a keyboard and mouse for me, especially with involved games like strategy, mmorpgs, or even regular RPGs.

For example Final Fantasy 14 online, is coming out and it will be out for PC and PS3. I'd love to sit on the couch with a controller and play but there are a few problems with that:

1. I'd be playing on the main TV. Which my wife would LOVE me for. Yes, this can be circumvented by hooking up the PS3 to my computer monitor but;

2. I'd still be using a controller for complex controls; like programing macros, typing, and whoever knows how many action buttons. It's hard enough to do with 104 keys on a keyboard.

3. I'd have to buy a PS3.

4. The computer is capable of way better graphics.

The only downside is comfort. I'm not as young as I used to be and playing a PC game for more than a couple hours at a time sitting down at a desk just isn't fun in itself.

But the lines here, given how much effort you want to put in, are blurred.

And in the end I guess if I wanted to use a controller I could map the buttons on a PC and move a couch in front of the computer, or remote the games into a laptop and plug that into the TV. Oh the possibilities.
I have found the solution. When I sit down to play a game whether on the PC or a gaming console - my wife is right there next to me... playing.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 PM

35,646 posts, read 53,290,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Um.... WTF?????
I am not making that up.

I went to the Chicago Navy Pier Job Fair in Drag!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:48 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,072,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

I have found the solution. When I sit down to play a game whether on the PC or a gaming console - my wife is right there next to me... playing.

I knew what I was getting myself into.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 AM

5,450 posts, read 5,207,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Don't know where you get your computers built, but $3800 would get you 2 or 3 top of the line gaming rigs. I rebuilt mine a year and a half ago and spent only $1200, and it'll still play anything that's available at max resolution and perfectly acceptable frame rates.
Um... yea, that was kind of my point. That was me "taking a shot" at the.... guy... that started this thread. Y'know the one that spent $3,800 on a computer so he could multi-task?

The most expensive PC I ever built was $700... and nearly half of that was always for the video card.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 AM

6,428 posts, read 7,923,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Um... yea, that was kind of my point. That was me "taking a shot" at the.... guy... that started this thread. Y'know the one that spent $3,800 on a computer so he could multi-task?

The most expensive PC I ever built was $700... and nearly half of that was always for the video card.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:40 AM

18,737 posts, read 20,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, some of us can pull it off and some can't. Jesse can. Except perhaps for those calves. I love the comment a couple of posts down: "You actually look a lot cuter than some normal women I've seen." Um, okay, what exactly is abnormal about this woman. Oh wait, I know, I know!

But a job fair? Nada, dudette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I knew what I was getting myself into.
Yeah, I got that down pat.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:16 PM

4,793 posts, read 7,754,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am a computer programmer (I don't have a 'side interest' in programming, it is my day-to-day job) and I only have one 19" monitor. I can code just fine on it. Anyone who claims they need two 24" monitors to code is simply making up excuses to spend money on technology.

Spending over $1000 on monitors because you claim to need it to program is nothing short of laughable.
Having 2 computer monitors is justified... When I worked at Jacobs ESCG many engineers and drafter had a dual monitor computer.

And when I code Visual Studio on one screen and look at a pdf book on another screen - this really helps a lot. You must work at a stone age company to have only a 19" monitor to code on.

And dual monitors help a lot in day trading... one screen for stock charts and the other screen for Scottrade Elite.

I now upgraded my computer to Geforce 460 SLI + an XFX 750W PS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers