U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,459,981 times

Advertisements

Hi. I haven't seen any info on this, so here goes:

I just checked one of my yahoo email accounts and found an email from me to me. Since I know I did not send it, does anyone know if this is a virus or malware, etc?

I run my virus programs fairly frequently and just ran a Norton sweep yesterday or the day before with no problems.

If this might be a virus, has anyone been successful in eliminating it?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 06:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Anyone can put any "from" address they want on an email. Its almost certainly spam at best, or malware at worst. Don't open it. There's nothing you can do about it. Yahoo catches all the spam they can but its a losing battle and some stuff will always get through.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,459,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Anyone can put any "from" address they want on an email. Its almost certainly spam at best, or malware at worst. Don't open it. There's nothing you can do about it. Yahoo catches all the spam they can but its a losing battle and some stuff will always get through.
Ah! I believe you are correct! I just deleted it to avoid any possible contamination... won't worry so much about it.

Thanks so much for the info!

Old 07-08-2010, 03:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,278,973 times
The SMTP server, which is used to send mail to others, can be fooled very easily. Back in the days, when modems were the com device and it took time to do ANYTHING, even send/receive text, many people wanted to SEND email without necessarily logging in (since when email was started, most of the folks on it were university profs or engineers/scientists and most thought they could trust each other). Skipping this step of authentication saved a little time when sending a message. There's also the whole dumb terminal, but I think you get the idea. Anywho, the receiver of a message would want to know whom it was from so that they could reply if necessary. So, when they connected to the SMTP server, they'd send these commands (the numbers denote a line of text getting fed to server, parentheses server comments):

1: HELO 255.255.255.255 (identify yourself and IP address 255.255.255.255)
2: MAIL FROM: someone@somewhere.com (now, this is where hackers take advantage and put your email address in the "from line... this line is what I was talking about that identifies a return address)
3: RCPT TO: someone@somewhere.com (you're sending to this person, which is yourself in this case)
4: DATA (tells server that you're about to send the message)
5: Subject: Spam Mail
6: <press enter>
7: <enter message>
8: CLRF <enter>

And, that is how an email is sent. Hopefully, you see how someone can make you think a message is from you. They don't even have to login as you to use your address (it doesn't even have to be in the same network as your POP server or IMAP server that receives mail!). It's a flaw that resulted from too much trust in the 70s and 80s from a smaller, more private Internet.

If you have a terminal software of some type, find an SMTP server and try those commands sometime with your own email address!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:42 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,373,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
The SMTP server, which is used to send mail to others, can be fooled very easily. Back in the days, when modems were the com device and it took time to do ANYTHING, even send/receive text, many people wanted to SEND email without necessarily logging in (since when email was started, most of the folks on it were university profs or engineers/scientists and most thought they could trust each other). Skipping this step of authentication saved a little time when sending a message. There's also the whole dumb terminal, but I think you get the idea. Anywho, the receiver of a message would want to know whom it was from so that they could reply if necessary. So, when they connected to the SMTP server, they'd send these commands (the numbers denote a line of text getting fed to server, parentheses server comments):

1: HELO 255.255.255.255 (identify yourself and IP address 255.255.255.255)
2: MAIL FROM: someone@somewhere.com (now, this is where hackers take advantage and put your email address in the "from line... this line is what I was talking about that identifies a return address)
3: RCPT TO: someone@somewhere.com (you're sending to this person, which is yourself in this case)
4: DATA (tells server that you're about to send the message)
5: Subject: Spam Mail
6: <press enter>
7: <enter message>
8: CLRF <enter>

And, that is how an email is sent. Hopefully, you see how someone can make you think a message is from you. They don't even have to login as you to use your address (it doesn't even have to be in the same network as your POP server or IMAP server that receives mail!). It's a flaw that resulted from too much trust in the 70s and 80s from a smaller, more private Internet.

If you have a terminal software of some type, find an SMTP server and try those commands sometime with your own email address!
Good Explanation!!!!

Last month I had my Yahoo email account, sending out bogus emails to my contacts (110 emails). It was sending out emails about buyer VIGRA at a discounted price from a company operating in Canada. It started at 5:40am, by 8:15am a friend notified me, I immediately changed my password to stop it.

A few months before - my Gmail email account, someone spoofed my account, it was sending out false emails. A week later the same thing with my hotmail email account.

My mistake - I was using the same login password for all my email accounts.

I read a report about changing your password to stop it. Three times I have done the same thing and I worked. Good Luck...

Old 07-12-2010, 02:45 PM

314 posts, read 370,661 times
malware is so easy to get i literally got malware a week after my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or