U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:31 PM

10 posts, read 14,306 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a laptop brand. The number one thing I want in a computer company is english speaking people when you call tech support or customer service.

I have a Dell computer currently and its terrible when you need to contact them. The people barely speak any english and they have thick accents and they dont understand me and I dont understand them. I would never buy another Dell product. But I am open to any other brands. Easy communation is the #1 thing Im looking for.

Something that is easy to use and doesnt break down all the time is important. My boyfriend has Vista and its the worst. I am use to Windows XP and its so easy. I havent tried Windows 7 but have heard its a good new operating system. Is this what most new laptops have now?

I would also like a company that makes a girly or pink laptop if possible, but thats not a big concern to me.

Im not a super tech person so Im not really looking for something with a million special features on it. Just a simple laptop, easy to use, cute design, and good customer service/tech support.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:54 PM

7,376 posts, read 13,050,796 times
So let me ask you first, what do you want out of your laptop. Just something to browse the internet and type some word documents on and listen to a few tunes or do you need a graphical powerhouse for hard core gaming world of warcraft sessions. Do you want to be able to burn music and movies and watch high def blue ray copies, or are you satisfied with regular dvd' movies. Are you going to be storing your 50,000 mp3 songs or just a couple of albums. Im just making up crap because I think its easier to suggest a product to someone when you have a better idea of what they will be using it for.

Also what is your price range :P

Old 07-13-2010, 01:55 PM

7,376 posts, read 13,050,796 times
Might also read this if you are really concerned with customer support

Tech Support Report Card: You Be the Judge

Old 07-13-2010, 06:24 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,283,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl25 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a laptop brand. The number one thing I want in a computer company is english speaking people when you call tech support or customer service.

I have a Dell computer currently and its terrible when you need to contact them. The people barely speak any english and they have thick accents and they dont understand me and I dont understand them. I would never buy another Dell product. But I am open to any other brands. Easy communation is the #1 thing Im looking for.

Something that is easy to use and doesnt break down all the time is important. My boyfriend has Vista and its the worst. I am use to Windows XP and its so easy. I havent tried Windows 7 but have heard its a good new operating system. Is this what most new laptops have now?

I would also like a company that makes a girly or pink laptop if possible, but thats not a big concern to me.

Im not a super tech person so Im not really looking for something with a million special features on it. Just a simple laptop, easy to use, cute design, and good customer service/tech support.

After 15 years on a PC I finally made the switch to a Mac, bought a MacBook Pro and absolutely love it! Dell and Toshiba are the worst for Tech support. I called Apple sooo many times for just general questions and every single time I got someone who spoke English and was extremely helpful and patient...lol Their customer service has been A++. Most sound like younger computer geeks not someone from India reading from a "How to fix manual"

I was buying top of the line PC laptops and they all ended up having problems,viruses,spyware,malware..etc. I'm not saying that Mac's are perfect,anything mass produced will have problems but there's not 1 person I know who owns one that regrets it.Have had mine for over 2 years now and still just as fast and trouble free as the day I bought it. If you have an Apple store near by give them a look.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 AM

1,955 posts, read 9,677,784 times
Get a Mac.

No PC vendor offers good tech support. Dell Home is indeed the worst, though from personal experience, they're not bad with the business support. At the office ...

- 2 years, 11 months out of a 3 year warranty on a 17" LCD when out popped a dead line. They overnighted a brand new replacement, which is a much higher spec than the old one.
- Samsung hard drive crashed on a laptop 1 year, 10 months out of a 3 year warranty. New hard drive, OS already preloaded, overnighted.
- Memory error 7 months in on a Dimension desktop. Call was put in at 9am ... 1pm the next day, a guy was onsite swapping out a new stick.
- Refurbished color laser printer was DOA. Call was put in at 12pm ... 10am the next morning, a guy was onsite with a replacement assembly.

As for all the companies that outsource their tech support overseas and are unhelpful ... truth be told, when they were US based, they were equally unhelpful as the folks in the call centers were only trained to read off a computer screen too. The difference was that at least one could mostly understand what they were saying, even if it was unhelpful. ;-)

Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 AM

577 posts, read 1,600,163 times
I know HP's tech support is not in the US. I just bought a Sony laptop in Dec. and have had no issues and the Vaio Care program software pretty much walks you through things if anything comes up. I've only had HP before this so I cant give you much other than that. If you are only getting one for portability, surfing the net and emailing.. you might look at the netbooks. But if you need one for school or want to run applications or games, definitely go with a regular laptop. I agree with the color thing.. all the stupid shiny black ones show fingerprints constantly. Mine's white and always looks nice.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,002,033 times
Quote:

There is but one, grasshopper.....The Apple Macbook. (13" size)
MacBook - Buy MacBook notebook computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

A really great computer with tech service and help (with Applecare) for 3 years that is second to none.

To save money and still get full factory warranty shop for a refurb Mac here.... Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

(All I buy are Apple refurbs since they are such a great deal with no problems at all)

Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,790,039 times
I bought a Sony VAIO in November with Windows 7........I love it and 7 is so easy. So far so good.
I had an HP and hated everything about it including the service.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 14,306 times
Thank you so much for all the replies.

I have heard very good things about MAC. And I have been to the apple store that sells them but they were pretty expensive (the ones I saw). The one downside with MAC is that they automatically put photos in the body of your emails and my clients who have them have the hardest time figuring out how to send a picture as an attachment. Still I will not rule out MAC options.

I also had been interested in the Sony Vio (is that what its called??) but that was pricey too.

I dont want a dell or hp computer for sure!

I have been looking at the Acer Aspire One in Coral Pink, 10.1" and under $300 at walmart. Does anyone know anything about this brand or this computer in general?? Im thinking it must be good because its sold out almost everywhere. The only thing that concerns me is maybe very little memory. I heard this makes your computer go slow.

I will be using the computer for sending emails, myspace, uploading photos from my camera, and writing documents for school. Thats about it. Not burning cds or dvds or video games. Just simple and basic stuff. I just need the internet and a word program basically.

I would like to spend $300 to $500 if possible. I know their are nice computers for $600 to $1000 but I really dont need to spend that for all the bells and whistles. I would rather have something small and basic (and cute and pink if possible). But I do want a computer that wont run really SLOW...like my awful Dell does now.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:32 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,002,033 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for all the replies.

I have heard very good things about MAC. And I have been to the apple store that sells them but they were pretty expensive (the ones I saw). The one downside with MAC is that they automatically put photos in the body of your emails and my clients who have them have the hardest time figuring out how to send a picture as an attachment. Still I will not rule out MAC options.

Nonsense! Using a Mac is as easy as falling off a log. If you do have problems the Apple techs can walk you though the how to with ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers