Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 AM

449 posts, read 877,534 times

Advertisements

It's happening again!!!!!! The last time I tried to install Microsoft Office Student 2007, I had so many problems with error 646, which obstructs MS Office updates from getting in. I finally disabled it, since it was a trial offer for 90 days.

At that time, I found I had a corrupted registry with a multitude of errors, and Reg Servo offered to clean the errors up, for $29.99. I asked for help here and was told not to allow Reg Servo to do it, but was not given a solution to my problem, so I disabled MS Office 2007.

I still have error 646, and Microsoft says to have it fix. But how? I went into their website forums, and found multitude of people, with the same problems complaining to Microsoft, apparently unable to solve their own problems.

How do I get my corrupted registry fixed, which will allow me to get rid of error 646? Do I take the tower to be fixed to a computer store? Please advise. Thank you so very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Microsoft has some help here How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

The registry cleaner I use is not on the download.com site anymore, but you could install The Glary Utilities. The registry cleaner will tell you the truth. I'm always wary of using a program that will (supposedly) tell you what is wrong, but won't fix it until you pay.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I have used the registry cleaner in Ccleaner for a couple of years with no adverse affects.

Download CCleaner 2.33.1184 - FileHippo.com

Old 07-21-2010, 06:24 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
I would warn about using CCleaner's registry function unless they have really improved it in recent versions but for as long as I have used CCleaner, I know many people including myself run into problems after using it.

I personally like RegScrubXP and it is arguably the mildest (yet effective) registry cleaner for Windows XP. Another one is RegSeeker though it is a bit more powerful.

It really doesn't matter which registry cleaner you use, there is always a possibility that it could botch things up even more so make sure to backup your registry prior to each time you use one!

Instead of using an automated registry cleaner, you might also use a program like Autoruns to get a snapshot of certain registry settings, then analyze the missing files. That approach might be more helpful than running a registry cleaner with a blind-fold.

OK, about error 646. I never dealt with it before but if you feel like providing details about it, I might give it a shot.
When did it start giving you the error? Right after installing it or ...?
When does the error occur exactly? Detail the the steps prior to getting the error as well as the complete error message please (screen shot if you can).

Old 07-22-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I would warn about using CCleaner's registry function unless they have really improved it in recent versions but for as long as I have used CCleaner, I know many people including myself run into problems after using it.

I personally like RegScrubXP and it is arguably the mildest (yet effective) registry cleaner for Windows XP. Another one is RegSeeker though it is a bit more powerful.

It really doesn't matter which registry cleaner you use, there is always a possibility that it could botch things up even more so make sure to backup your registry prior to each time you use one!

Instead of using an automated registry cleaner, you might also use a program like Autoruns to get a snapshot of certain registry settings, then analyze the missing files. That approach might be more helpful than running a registry cleaner with a blind-fold.

OK, about error 646. I never dealt with it before but if you feel like providing details about it, I might give it a shot.
When did it start giving you the error? Right after installing it or ...?
When does the error occur exactly? Detail the the steps prior to getting the error as well as the complete error message please (screen shot if you can).
And yet I've used it for years without a single mishap. Makes me wonder what was wrong with your registry.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Error code "0x80070646," "646," or "1606" when you try to install Office updates

Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Miranda, has any of this information been helpful?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM

I tried to get "Fit it," but it failed to go through.................

Old 07-22-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Miranda, has any of this information been helpful?
I am confused now. I used to have Uniblue and Trend, therefore, there is the possibility that because the registry is corrupt, even MS cannot fix it. You, guys, are so wonderful and helpful. Should I take it to be fixed outside?

It seems to me that problems become evident, whenever I download something.........my computer slows down.

However, after I got rid of MS 2007, things were better, until now...........that I have downloaded MS Office 2010. thanks so much, guys.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
I tried to get "Fit it," but it failed to go through.................
On that page, there were 2 links, "Fix it for me" and "Let me fix it myself", which one did you click on and what happened once you clicked on the link?

Not to deviate from the problem but if you encounter problems even downloading the fix, then I am thinking the browser could be the culprit here.
Can you try another browser just to see if you'll be able to download the fix from Tek_Freek's link that might resolve the problem?
Also what version of Windows are you using? I will try to create a fix for this to ease the manual patching process is the above suggestion fails.

Ok, IF you are using Windows XP, then I created a fix for you based on the article on that link. Download the attachment anywhere on your system, unzip it then double-click on the 646.bat file within the folder. This will make a copy of the existing registry key before patching them (just in case). Once it is done with the backup, it will patch the related registry keys to what MS document stated they should be. The fix is very quick, it will only take a second to run. Once done, the batch file and the registry patch file will disappear and you should see 3 new registry files created. Leave those alone, those are the backup of your registry keys before being patches.

Let us know if that worked or not.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Fix646.zip (769 Bytes, 17 views)

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 07-22-2010 at 01:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers