Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of getting a Netbook just for surfing, etc. But I also understand you can get MS Office loaded onto them now.

I figure a netbook will also save on the use of our laptop.

So, who makes the best Netbook, with the best battery lfe and usefulness.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I've owned two Asus netbooks, the 4G Surf XP and the 1005HA. AFAIK, Asus was the brand that introduced netbooks to the world back in 2007. IMO, Asus netbooks offer an excellent balance of price/performance.

The longer the battery life, the heavier the battery. I know a guy who has an aftermarket battery that lets his netbook run 12 hours of normal use, but it also makes the netbook stick up about an inch from the table. I prefer to keep my netbooks small and light, so I consider the 3 hours of battery life that I get on mine to be adequate.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:53 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
They're great if you need something that's very portable. There are caveats, however.

#1 - The keyboards are small. Don't expect to do any significant amount of touch typing without pulling your hair out after a while. My girlfriend got around this by getting a small/cheap USB keyboard that she sets in front of the netbook, and that works great, but having an external keyboard plugged in may not fit your situation.

#2 - The displays are small. Plan on doing a lot of scrolling.

#3 - No optical drive. This usually isn't much of a problem for everyday use, but loading up your favorite apps could be problematic if you don't have an external CD/DVD drive or a home network setup so that you can install stuff from a disc in another machine.

#4 - Lack of horsepower. These aren't high-end gaming machines - or even close. Some even have Atom processors. Doesn't sound like a problem for you based on your OP, but I thought I'd throw it in there for others that might be reading.

If those are all limitations that you can deal with, then they're great. The main thing is the keyboard. Most people don't realize just how small they are, and they expect that they're going to replace their full size laptop with the netbook - and quickly change their mind.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 AM

181 posts, read 299,514 times
You should probably go to a couple different stores that have netbooks on display and try them out. Try different models, try typing and other things you might be doing on a netbook. Read up on the processors that are available in netbooks. Then find a netbook that suits you best.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:09 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They're great if you need something that's very portable. There are caveats, however.

#1 - The keyboards are small. Don't expect to do any significant amount of touch typing without pulling your hair out after a while. My girlfriend got around this by getting a small/cheap USB keyboard that she sets in front of the netbook, and that works great, but having an external keyboard plugged in may not fit your situation.

#4 - Lack of horsepower. These aren't high-end gaming machines - or even close. Some even have Atom processors. Doesn't sound like a problem for you based on your OP, but I thought I'd throw it in there for others that might be reading.
The keyboard was the biggest reason for me. I tried ... and just couldn't live with a less-than-standard-spaced keyboard. Some manufacturer's odd key placements don't help either ...

As for processing power ... an Atom compares with a 7 year old 1GHz Pentium M (Banias). It's not fast by any means - it's purpose is power conservation.

FWIW, instead of a netbook, I bought an off-lease Dell D620 instead. A bit heavier at 5 lbs., but 14" widescreen, dual core (Merom), and a 100-day warranty (from Dell) for $235. Remove the DVD burner and plop in a second battery - 7+ hours away from the plug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers