Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:35 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times

Advertisements

just the fan comes on??

Have had quite a few power outages and now when I go to push the on button just the fan comes on.

Unplugged the power cord and waited and it came on, now a few days later
nothing....

Help, I need to write some doc's etc..
The unit is about 5 years old....

HW...no I don't need a boat anchor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:05 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
just the fan comes on??

Have had quite a few power outages and now when I go to push the on button just the fan comes on.

Unplugged the power cord and waited and it came on, now a few days later
nothing....

Help, I need to write some doc's etc..
The unit is about 5 years old....

HW...no I don't need a boat anchor...
If I guessed, maybe the power supply is shot. It's happened to me.

Are the lights on your surge protector on? Usually they die after awhile and need to be replaced.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
I agree that its probably the power supply, especially since you said there had been a lot of power outages.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Yep, sounds like PSU is gone.
If you saw any light in the back of the PC or inside then it could also be the motherboard. If no lights are visible on the case or on the motherboard then it would be your PSU more than likely.

Surges/Spikes and brownouts in the AC line is really bad for your computer. Most home surge protectors may or may not protect against spikes/surges but they are pretty much useless against brownouts (drops in voltage) so if you are experience a lot of irregularity in your electric line, I would unplug the PC's power cord from the wall outlet or wherever you plug it.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Just for giggles try reseating the memory, if that fails the power supply or motherboard are possibilities.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 AM

I have a green light on on the back of the computer. How do you reset the memory? Light is on on the power protection strip.
I am not a tech but do know mostly doc's etc.

Appreciate your help.

HW

Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I have a green light on on the back of the computer. How do you reset the memory? Light is on on the power protection strip.
I am not a tech but do know mostly doc's etc.

Appreciate your help.

HW
Not reset, reseat
You have to take the side panel off, unplug the PC, pop the memory modules out then reinstall them, a pretty easy task. Touch the PC case before touching the memory modules to reduce the chance of static damage.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not reset, reseat
You have to take the side panel off, unplug the PC, pop the memory modules out then reinstall them, a pretty easy task. Touch the PC case before touching the memory modules to reduce the chance of static damage.
Good tip.

Since your mobo has lights on it, while you are at it look around and feel the other add-in cards you might have that may need to be reseated as well. Any add-in card that is loose could cause a temporary or permanent short on the motherboard which could have this kind of effects.

If the motherboard has lights on it and power supply seems to be getting power, fan spinning, unit making a humming sound but system not turning on:
Make sure there are no loose connection with any of the cables inside the case but more importantly:
- From PSU to motherboard
- From case on/off switch to motherboard.

If PSU is good and motherboard is getting power, does the CPU fan kick in?
Yes, then CPU might need to be reseated or could be damaged. If all else fails, try removing the CPU heatsick/fan and examine the bottom and edges of the CPU for discoloration or chips and cracks. If there are any....hmmm.

If IF PSU is good and mobo looks to be active, then you should have heard sounds/beeps if the RAM or Video was the problem but if the motherboard or CPU damaged, you naturally will not.

When you are troubleshooting or replacing parts, if not sure, start from simple and least expensive parts to more complex/costly that could be the culprit (Always low tech before high tech).

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 AM

Default re no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not reset, reseat

Thanks for the info..? how do I know what the Memory modules look like?

Iam good at fixing some things but this well, I will try what you folks suggest....
You know how frustrating it is to not get to your files etc.

HW stay tuned

Old 07-26-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info..? how do I know what the Memory modules look like?

Iam good at fixing some things but this well, I will try what you folks suggest....
You know how frustrating it is to not get to your files etc.

HW stay tuned
memory module - Google Search

You'll see a white clip at each end of the module, give it a decent press and the module will pop straight out, just push it back in at both ends and make sure the white clips lock back in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers