U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
f_m
 
2,290 posts, read 4,711,395 times
Reputation: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
.... I can't just drive to the nearest city because I'm legally blind and can't drive anymore.
Well, I think it does have better accessibility functions like voice recognition, narrator, etc... You might find them useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:20 PM
 
Location: NH
6,061 posts, read 7,337,960 times
Reputation: 4067
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
After losing my second computer in 2 months to viruses, I bought a new one yesterday with Windows 7 preloaded. It either refuses to let me install programs that worked just fine in XP-HE and XP Pro, or if it does allow them to install, it won't let them work. If I could, I'd drop kick it to the moon.

Nor do I want their blasted little buttons all over the place to take me to their choice of websites. That's what a favorites list on the browser is for, for MY favorites, not theirs.

Just color me frustrated and feeling extremely negative about Microsoft.
That's part of the problem with peoples perceptions, they are many times wrong. The blame for all the crap on your laptop lies with the mfg, not Microsoft. Most apps can be made to work with a bit of effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:32 PM
 
36 posts, read 65,099 times
Reputation: 22
If Win XP was so good, how did you end up getting 2 viruses (I should say virii) on it? Trust me, there is a LOT more praise out there for Windows 7 than for XP - you just need to look in any regular computing forum to see that. Windows 7 is faster than XP and looks more streamlined and smooth - when I use XP now I just think it looks outdated and clunky. So some people think it was 'broke' and they decided to move with the times and make an upgrade - that's life. Maybe it would be better to move too and upgrade than to expect everyone to use the same outdated looking software. And don't forget to use some anti-virus software this time (although the one that comes included with Windows 7 is actually pretty good - but if you'd rather not use it because it didn't come with XP...).

Btw, I just looked, and Lotus Organiser 6.1 is now out: IBM time management software – Lotus Organizer . And WordPerfect 10 is totally compatible with Windows 7 (Will WordPerfect 10 which works with Windows XP be compatible with Windows 7?). So adapt and use the internet to figure out where you're going wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,961 posts, read 7,033,363 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
After losing my second computer in 2 months to viruses, I bought a new one yesterday with Windows 7 preloaded. It either refuses to let me install programs that worked just fine in XP-HE and XP Pro, or if it does allow them to install, it won't let them work. If I could, I'd drop kick it to the moon.

Nor do I want their blasted little buttons all over the place to take me to their choice of websites. That's what a favorites list on the browser is for, for MY favorites, not theirs.

Just color me frustrated and feeling extremely negative about Microsoft.
You sound like the perfect candidate to switch to a Mac. All the frustrations you laid out will not bother you on a Mac. Give it some serious thought, mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:41 PM
 
11,730 posts, read 21,921,324 times
Reputation: 7032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You sound like the perfect candidate to switch to a Mac. All the frustrations you laid out will not bother you on a Mac. Give it some serious thought, mate.
If she can't manage the transition from XP to Win7, switching to a completely different OS doesn't sound like a good idea. I find most people who moan at how hard Windows is would rather just blame the OS for everything. I've had people tell me that Windows sucks and they should buy a Mac (because they've heard they're easier to use) when their real problem is that they can't figure out how to operate Yahoo mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:44 PM
 
11,730 posts, read 21,921,324 times
Reputation: 7032
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenone View Post
And don't forget to use some anti-virus software this time (although the one that comes included with Windows 7 is actually pretty good - but if you'd rather not use it because it didn't come with XP...).
Quick correction: Neither XP, Vista, nor Win7 come with an antivirus. Vista did come with Windows Defender (supposedly anti-spyware I guess) but it was useless. However, Microsoft Security Essentials can be downloaded for free from Microsoft for all three operating systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
 
Location: NH
6,061 posts, read 7,337,960 times
Reputation: 4067
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Quick correction: Neither XP, Vista, nor Win7 come with an antivirus. Vista did come with Windows Defender (supposedly anti-spyware I guess) but it was useless. However, Microsoft Security Essentials can be downloaded for free from Microsoft for all three operating systems.
Windows 7 also includes Defender, just as useless as it was in Vista.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM
 
11,730 posts, read 21,921,324 times
Reputation: 7032
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Windows 7 also includes Defender, just as useless as it was in Vista.
Ahh, I hadn't noticed it since the first thing I install on every new Win7 box I touch is MSSE which of course disables Defender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:45 PM
 
3,701 posts, read 5,503,852 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenone View Post
If Win XP was so good, how did you end up getting 2 viruses (I should say virii) on it? Trust me, there is a LOT more praise out there for Windows 7 than for XP - you just need to look in any regular computing forum to see that. Windows 7 is faster than XP and looks more streamlined and smooth - when I use XP now I just think it looks outdated and clunky. So some people think it was 'broke' and they decided to move with the times and make an upgrade - that's life. Maybe it would be better to move too and upgrade than to expect everyone to use the same outdated looking software. And don't forget to use some anti-virus software this time (although the one that comes included with Windows 7 is actually pretty good - but if you'd rather not use it because it didn't come with XP...).

Btw, I just looked, and Lotus Organiser 6.1 is now out: IBM time management software – Lotus Organizer . And WordPerfect 10 is totally compatible with Windows 7 (Will WordPerfect 10 which works with Windows XP be compatible with Windows 7?). So adapt and use the internet to figure out where you're going wrong.
The viruses both got through AVG, which were up to date and scanning daily. The first one I assumed came through on an infected email, but I only use webmail now, so there isn't much chance of that happening. Also, the pop up blocker is in place, any time I want to download something - very rare indeed - I have to give it permission to do so. And the only thing I downloaded on that second computer was a user's manual for an LG cell phone directly from the LG help site, and it was supposedly virus clear.

Umm.... while Lotus Organizer 2.0 was indeed an old program predating Lotus Suite, the particular version I had I bought less than a year ago, and it was rewritten for Windows XP.

I like and prefer what I like and prefer. I think of it more as a personal preference, like prefering a Dodge or a Chevy over a Ford. If you've driven and loved a '95 Chevy pick up with 4 on the floor, why would you think a '96 Ford sedan automatic is superior just because it's newer? It's not better, it's different, and it shouldn't be replacing what other people want, just filling it's own niche.

As for speed, this latest one has 4 gigs of memory with a 750 gig hard drive. It is far from being as fast as either of the last two, one of which had 500-something kb of memory and the oldest one had 186 kb of memory (I've been told it shouldn't even have booted up, with all the programs I had on it) - the 'free trial' version of Norton has turned it into a wallowing pig.

And for what it's worth, I don't think I've said anything critical about anyone else's preferences - I just happen to like the look of XP in whichever version, and I don't like the looks - or so far - the ease of use for me, of Windows 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:54 PM
 
3,701 posts, read 5,503,852 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If she can't manage the transition from XP to Win7, switching to a completely different OS doesn't sound like a good idea. I find most people who moan at how hard Windows is would rather just blame the OS for everything. I've had people tell me that Windows sucks and they should buy a Mac (because they've heard they're easier to use) when their real problem is that they can't figure out how to operate Yahoo mail.
If I ever switch to a mac, it will be because the vast majority of viruses are aimed at Microsoft, not for any other reason.

There is also a very large difference between not wanting to make a transition and not being able to make that same transition. It's not that I can't, I don't WANT to. Do you get that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top