Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 02:23 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times

Advertisements

OK, when you stop laughing, I could use some help. I'm reasonably tech savvy, but I had a brain fart.

Recently picked up a Dell Optiplex 760 with XP Pro SP3 on the cheap. When trying to adjust the monitor settings for my LGW2340 I inadvertently disabled the wrong display adapter.

After much googling (on another system, obviously), nada. I don't get a windows logo. Can't boot in safe. Can't get to the bios, etc.

I turn on the 'puter and the monitor and the monitor immediately goes into powersaving mode. Nothing I try delivers anything on the display. F2 to enter the Bios and nothing. The monitor simply stays in powersaving mode like it's not receiving any signal from the adaptor at all.

Any of the wise one's on here care to offer some ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 02:33 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
If you have a removable graphics card, I would take it out then put it back in. You might need to power up without it then power down and put it back in. Basically try to get the system to see a new device. If it's an integrated graphics, well that's another story.

You might be able to reset the CMOS by jumper if you look it up in the manual.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
You said you disabled the wrong video adapter? I'm going to guess there is one on the motherboard, and one plugged into an expansion slot.

Hook the monitor to the one on the motherboard.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I found a solution- using MS Narrator of all things. Took a couple tries working through it blind, but not deaf and I was able get back and enable the driver.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I found a solution- using MS Narrator of all things. Took a couple tries working through it blind, but not deaf and I was able get back and enable the driver.
For future reference:
If you disabled the adapter in Windows (Device Manager), you should be able to boot in Safe Mode.

If you disabled it in BIOS, then reset the BIOS/CMOS settings by either using the reset jumper on the motherboard (sometimes removing the CMOS battery for 10-15 seconds works too).

Old 08-07-2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks TurcoLoco. For whatever reason, I wasn't able to boot in Safe Mode. Resetting the CMOS was my next move. I pulled the covers off, and didn't want to start pulling parts out unless absolutely necessary. And, from what I read, resetting the CMOS jumper wasn't a guaranteed solution. Using MS Narrator I was able to run devmgmt.msc and work my way through re-enabling the driver.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Thanks TurcoLoco. For whatever reason, I wasn't able to boot in Safe Mode. Resetting the CMOS was my next move. I pulled the covers off, and didn't want to start pulling parts out unless absolutely necessary. And, from what I read, resetting the CMOS jumper wasn't a guaranteed solution. Using MS Narrator I was able to run devmgmt.msc and work my way through re-enabling the driver.
That is a very odd and cumbersome way of doing it but hey, if it worked, great!

Here is the logic with this type of a problem and why it matters where/how you disabled it:
- A configuration problem (disabled) in BIOS then resetting the BIOS will work, it has too. If not there is a possibility that BIOS was corrupted. When you turn on the machine it goes through POST (Power On Self Test) where CMOS chip using the BIOS software checks primary components such as RAM, Video, etc. to see if all devices defined in BIOS configuration were connected and responding.

First thing you normally see on your screen would be Video ROM info. If you can't even see that much then the problem is within BIOS not Windows because until POST is completed, BIOS will not look for a bootable partition/drive that would load up an operating system.

Removing the CMOS battery may or may not reset the BIOS, it is worth a shot but using the reset jumpers on the motherboard should always do the job. The related jumper is usually 3-pin and it would typically be located close to the battery but always check the manual or the vendor's web site.

Anyhow, you resolved the issue on your own so well done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers