Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 32,161 times

Advertisements

As anyone used MagicJack for the phone service? Interested in everyone's experience as I am seriously considering ditching TWC for the MagicJack service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:06 AM

217 posts, read 445,766 times
I tried it and had problems with it. It crashed my computer a few times. I'm not a fan of TWC - I think Vonage is better, but I don't consider MagicJack a real phone service - it's more of a 'add-on'. Your computer has to be running for it to work.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 AM

25 posts, read 52,951 times
I've never tried MagicJack, but if having your computer running all the time isn't feasible, you might look into Ooma. We got it last month and are very impressed so far. I've known a lot of people who love MagicJack, but a lot who don't. It seems from what I've seen that it either works great, or it doesn't. There's not a lot of middle ground. Your mileage may vary.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
I have MagicJack as my home phone; it works, but yeah, your computer does need to be on for it to work.

Instead of Ooma, consider looking into Nettalk too. $70 initial, $30 annual after the first year. Like Ooma, the computer doesn't need to be on. The company hasn't been around as long as MagicJack, though, so will they turn out to be like SunRocket, I dunno.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
We love our magicjack. Only problem we have on ocassion is an echo, but for less than $20 year (plus internet) it has been great.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Rumor has it Magic Jack is working on a wireless connection.. WiFI. Has any one else heard of this ?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,216 times
I have MagicJack now as my only home phone service.

MagicJack was kind of disappointing at first, with poor call quality and sometimes I didn't seem to get my messages. It seems to have gotten better over time though. Like another poster said, I occasionally get an echo when talking to someone. The call quality will not be as good as Vonage, but remember, you are only paying $19.95 per YEAR with MagicJack, not $29.95 or $39.95 per month. When you get Voicemail, MagicJack will send you e-mails for each message, with an attachment to play the message over your computer. If you delete these messages, however, the messages are not deleted on your phone at the same time; you will have to call your voicemail number using your phone and delete the messages you have already listened to on your PC manually or they will stay in your voicemailbox. Another small problem I've noticed is that the message indicator light on my cordless phone does not work with MagicJack, but did work when I used Vonage. I have never had any problems with the MagicJack shorting out my USB ports, or crashing my PC (I use it on a desktop PC with 2GB of RAM running Windows XP). Yes, as someone else said, you have to have your PC running in order to make and receive calls using the MagicJack. You still can receive voicemail messages when your PC is off, however.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
MJ is a POS. I (barely) got my $40 worth (initial fee as you have to buy the thing to hook to the PC). Horrible call quality too.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Question Still Looking for Magic Jack or other.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Rumor has it Magic Jack is working on a wireless connection.. WiFI. Has any one else heard of this ?
Still looknig for a Magic Jack ~ Ooma ~ Nettalk for a Lap Top that can be used occasional at Free WiFi Locations..

Old 02-20-2011, 12:54 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Magic Jack is ok for the money, IMHO. I still use my cell mostly but if nothing else you can use MJ to rec. calls that can go directly to VM. And like another member said -you rec notification of voice messages via email.
Why would someone think Magic Jack wouldn't work at a location which has WiFi? If you can get internet service and have your laptop, MJ and a phone with you then it should work. Right? Unless I'm missing something........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers