Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I'm still confused. I just double checked, and when I right click on WordPerfect 10, under program properties one of the tabs says 'compatibility' - when I click on that tab it says if the program has worked in an earlier version of Windows, choose from from a list of compatibility modes. That is how the instruction box or whatever you call it refers to it, compatibility mode, and they range from Win 95 fo Vista.

Did they create it for subsequent versions of Windows 7 just to be prepared? Why would the option exist if it didn't work?
Those are 2 different things. The compatibility settings lets you select an OS (Win95, Winxp, etc...) and tries to allow the software to operate within Windows 7, even though the software was originally for a different operating system (older version). Basically you are trying to get the old software to work in the new operating system.

The Windows XP mode that is in Win7 Pro and Ultimate is actually a full Windows XP running at the same time as Win7. So you are actually running two "computers," technically you are running two operating systems at the same time. So anything that ran in XP would run the same because they are running in the original version of XP.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Those are 2 different things. The compatibility settings lets you select an OS (Win95, Winxp, etc...) and tries to allow the software to operate within Windows 7, even though the software was originally for a different operating system (older version). Basically you are trying to get the old software to work in the new operating system.

The Windows XP mode that is in Win7 Pro and Ultimate is actually a full Windows XP running at the same time as Win7. So you are actually running two "computers," technically you are running two operating systems at the same time. So anything that ran in XP would run the same because they are running in the original version of XP.

Just ducky. Now all I have to do is find the $$ to pay for an Anytime upgrade to Windows 7 Pro. Considering how much I've already spent this summer just trying to stay on line - including being charged a 'return fee' for exchanging a defective computer... I suppose I could just quit buying groceries for a few months, but my grocery bills are already more for pet food than people food, and I doubt if the critters would go for it.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Why are you trying to hard and thinking about spending more money to make and obsolete piece of software work? Its not like its some business critical application with no alternative.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Why are you trying to hard and thinking about spending more money to make and obsolete piece of software work? Its not like its some business critical application with no alternative.
My thoughts exactly. Find an alternative to using WordPerfect.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Might be the several thousand WP files I have, including 3 half finished book manuscripts.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Might be the several thousand WP files I have, including 3 half finished book manuscripts.
Well if you'd been using Word (or something that creates a Word-compatible files) like everyone else on Earth, you wouldn't be dependent on WordPerfect. This is the danger of using proprietary, poorly-supported, file types.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Open Office Writer is a free program and according to them is compatible with Word Perfect:

Uberdownloads - Download OpenOffice Writer

Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Open Office Writer is a free program and according to them is compatible with Word Perfect:

Uberdownloads - Download OpenOffice Writer
I know Word can too, but not sure what versions it can read.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I know Word can too, but not sure what versions it can read.
Not everyone uses MS Word. The first place I worked where computer use was required, it was Appleworks. That was just fine until they sold it to Claris and there was no longer any support for it.

The next company I worked for used WordPerfect before Windows was even created, and they stuck to it. I got it installed for free on my home computer because I did a fair amount of work at home. I have tried MS Word, but every computer I've tried it on had it pre-installed and the conversion option was disabled - without the actual disk, that option couldn't be enabled and used. They also used only Dell computers, until Dell refused to provide any support for their LAN - Dell lost a good customer over that one, a company with an exclusive government contract for computer purchasing. As all the Dells were upgraded, they were replaced with Compaq, HP, or Gateway.

I am at this point using Open Office 3.2, which does open the newer files, but it doesn't by any means open any of the older ones, especially not the ones that are most important, the ones in WP 6.2.

If it makes anyone happy to hear it, I'm just as frustrated with Corel - they provide no support for anything but their 2 newest versions of Corel Office. Their idea of 'tefhnical support' is "If you want the newest release, I'll be happy to sell it to you. If you want something older, try ebay."

Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I am at this point using Open Office 3.2, which does open the newer files, but it doesn't by any means open any of the older ones, especially not the ones that are most important, the ones in WP 6.2.
I have Word 2010 and under its "file..open" dialog, it shows an option for WordPerfect 5.x and 6.x. Email your docs to someone with Word, have them convert and send them back, then you can use OpenOffice or whatever you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers