Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM

181 posts, read 299,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Waaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute!!!!!

You mean after all the tech drama this is what he finally came up with?

Why do I think now nothing was wrong with the computer other than a BIOS settings adjustment and a new CMOS battery?

I think (of course I nor anyone else can prove this) that he fixed the BIOS settings and sold you upgraded parts and such to make it worth his while.

Just a gut feeling here.

I'm glad your son has his nice toy back and may he enjoy it without anymore problems.
I am agreeing with this guy, seriously I think he fixed your problem and sold you a bunch of stuff, because he could see that you weren't, well....................as computer literate as the other guy

Just my couple O' cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,623,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Sorry to disappoint NJ...yes, after all the tech drama, that was what he came up with. Sad thing is, as with techs who scoop up the unit, I can't see what exactly they did. I tell you what, if it was mine, it would be a different story. I am just stupid when it comes to the innards of computers, and that's after completing a CNE course and passing 5 out 7 of those (horrid, horrid) tests! I JUST did not learn a thing, and I'm not about to start now. All's well...nice to give someone some livelihood is all I could say. I estimate his fee is about 2 hours worth, and the rest was the HD, and that includes picking it up and delivering it back. It was cheap compared to what we used to pay our tech guy up in CT back when. And yes, I do love peanuts!
I feel your pain. I feel your pain. Made it all the way through MCNE and Groupwise certs before I threw in the towel. Not enough return for the pain, uh, investment.

Your tech is full of it, though...

Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,873,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuilder View Post
I am agreeing with this guy, seriously I think he fixed your problem and sold you a bunch of stuff, because he could see that you weren't, well....................as computer literate as the other guy

Just my couple O' cents
Duh! I think I made that perfectly clear in my posts, or I wouldn't be posting here. Truly, when people tell me to go into my BIOS settings, that kinda assumes I know how to get there, right? If I asked you to fix your tax return by going into a long-winded explanation of rules of depreciation or long-term capital gains or such, isn't that a bit presumptuous on my part that you understand tax prep or accounting? It's kinda like that...in the interest of time, I had to send it out to get it back. No need to mention that I'm not as computer literate as the other guy. Kinda goes without saying, isn't it or I wouldn't be posting here, right? If only I could have all of you on Skype or something like that walking me through the process, I wouldn't have had to send it out, right? Or I would have called you, since you're only down a little ways off I-485. See where I'm going with this? Besides, you've only come back with one liners as compared to NJ, NH, Tek and Turco.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:30 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuilder View Post

Just my couple O' cents
Let me kinda vent here some of it responding to you and just adding/expanding a bit more:

I don't know everything that's for sure, but it's in my view just too apparent of what most likely happened.

I dislike crooked people taking advantage of the (no offense) less knowledgeable people as it takes away any respect and so-called professionalism from those whom are taking advantage of a situation like that especially in the rough financial times we're in.

You know what they say that Karma is a "B" and what goes around comes around.

It would be nice to hear even once in a while of people treating others like they would like to be treated, heck that doesn't even happen in too many marriages/relationships these days so unfortunately sadly it's not much of a surprise of the bad treatment of a fellow HUMAN BEING.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Duh! I think I made that perfectly clear in my posts, or I wouldn't be posting here. Truly, when people tell me to go into my BIOS settings, that kinda assumes I know how to get there, right? If I asked you to fix your tax return by going into a long-winded explanation of rules of depreciation or long-term capital gains or such, isn't that a bit presumptuous on my part that you understand tax prep or accounting? It's kinda like that...in the interest of time, I had to send it out to get it back. No need to mention that I'm not as computer literate as the other guy. Kinda goes without saying, isn't it or I wouldn't be posting here, right? If only I could have all of you on Skype or something like that walking me through the process, I wouldn't have had to send it out, right? Or I would have called you, since you're only down a little ways off I-485. See where I'm going with this? Besides, you've only come back with one liners as compared to NJ, NH, Tek and Turco.
No need to be hard on yourself, we all have our knowledge strengths and weaknesses.

We tried to direct you and if you didn't know how - you didn't know how, "no crime" in my eyes.

Nobody IS perfect.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 PM

Let me just clarify something as well...the guy is not a crook. He is a business associate of my husband. Prior to this, he came by at another time, cleaned up 3 PC's including my husband's business laptop, and diagnosed problems we were having with our wireless router...he charged us NOTHING for being here for 3 hours! Geeks Are Us would have charged $125 just to show up, diagnostics or not, just to show up at the door. The PC came back with more stuff in it, a full Office 2010, performing faster than it ever did before. So maybe he threw that in and didn't cost him any. All I know is that my son ended up with a computer better than before. Are there shyster techs? Of course there are...there are shysters in every profession, ready to take advantage of one's ignorance. We don't think he's one, we don't get the vibes that he's one.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Let me just clarify something as well...the guy is not a crook. He is a business associate of my husband. Prior to this, he came by at another time, cleaned up 3 PC's including my husband's business laptop, and diagnosed problems we were having with our wireless router...he charged us NOTHING for being here for 3 hours! Geeks Are Us would have charged $125 just to show up, diagnostics or not, just to show up at the door. The PC came back with more stuff in it, a full Office 2010, performing faster than it ever did before. So maybe he threw that in and didn't cost him any. All I know is that my son ended up with a computer better than before. Are there shyster techs? Of course there are...there are shysters in every profession, ready to take advantage of one's ignorance. We don't think he's one, we don't get the vibes that he's one.
I understand that the tech is a business associate but the sequence of the explanations of what was wrong don't add up much. If you're content with him that's great as in the future unless you become a computer hardware and such wiz you'll need him if a computer issue happens again or need another computer, etc.

I bet that a faster hard drive and or more ram capacity was added which in most cases speeds up a computer depending of how much MB or GB was there beforehand. If you didn't feel "taken" by him, I'm sincerely happy for you.

It's just hard to be on this side of things and see how easy it would be for me and the other posters here to repair this at a small fraction of whatever costs were incurred in this computer repair - no offense.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 PM

No offense taken NJ. Like I said, it would have been different if I say was talking to my IT guy at work over the phone walking me through this. No such thing is going to happen, so at some point in time, one has to have a level of trust since he will continue to work with us when PC's are replaced or have other problems. He is familiar with our setup at home and all the applications that are installed, including the quirks of some of them. Thanks again!

Old 08-26-2010, 05:09 AM

181 posts, read 299,022 times
I's sorry that I have comeback with only "one Liners"(though actually some of my posts were about three lines) but I am younger and not as expieienced as Tek and NJ, I was trying to help you in the beginning, but I was gone for a couple of hours, then I came back and there was a slew of posts. Sorry If i've been no help. I was just trying to show how someone can take advantage of someone, no matter how much you trust them. I am not trying to say anything against the guy that fixed the computer, but greed can take over people's lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers