U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 AM

6,724 posts, read 8,271,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Floppy drive fail.

Go into BIOS and remove the floppy drive seek. Probably in the Boot menu somewhere.
Actually that error is likely due to the machine not even having a floppy, having seek turned on shouldn't cause that error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 AM

18,876 posts, read 21,133,427 times
Of course there is no floppy that's why there's an error. To get the PC to stop erroring you have to tell it to quit looking for the floppy.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Of course there is no floppy that's why there's an error. To get the PC to stop erroring you have to tell it to quit looking for the floppy.
Correct, but that's not the seek setting, it's the installed floppy drive setting, two different things

Old 08-21-2010, 10:44 AM

You got that nit picked yet?

Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40) error but I don't have a floppy drive - Tech Support Guy Forums

Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
That's nice, and again correct, but it IS NOT the floppy seek setting.

Floppy Drive Seek

Old 08-21-2010, 10:50 AM

You're missing the point. I don't care about your nit picking, I'm trying to help this person. If they go into the Boot menu like I told them and disable the floppy the error will stop.

Quit trying to sound smarter than everyone else. All you're doing is confusing a newbie. There is no help forthcoming from you in this thread.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You're missing the point. I don't care about your nit picking, I'm trying to help this person. If they go into the Boot menu like I told them and disable the floppy the error will stop.

Quit trying to sound smarter than everyone else. All you're doing is confusing a newbie. There is no help forthcoming from you in this thread.
Ahh I see, so pointing out that the info you gave is wrong is nit picking? I posted the correct info so the OP wouldn't waste time trying to disable something that wasn't the cause of the problem, so it seems that it's you that's missing the point. You gave incorrect info, I corrected it, don't take it so hard.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 AM

3,220 posts, read 3,880,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Correct, but that's not the seek setting, it's the installed floppy drive setting, two different things
I have encountered found computers in which the BIOS settings were setup that there's supposed to be a floppy drive installed and in as the first to boot though not actually installed but still booted to the hard drive. I've seen it all - lol!

With Biostar motherboards that her son has to me it seems that the floppy drive has to be eliminated from the BIOS settings in existence AND booting in the OP's case.

This is what I saw right away - that Floppy error is possibly most likely stopping "the show" though I have to keep the possibilities open for anything else.

Again, I've seen it setup both ways in which it still boots to the hard drive depending on the motherboard/BIOS.

If I had that computer it would be functioning perfectly in no time.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ahh I see, so pointing out that the info you gave is wrong is nit picking? I posted the correct info so the OP wouldn't waste time trying to disable something that wasn't the cause of the problem, so it seems that it's you that's missing the point. You gave incorrect info, I corrected it, don't take it so hard.
No, the point is that you are manically hung up on a typo I made in one post. To the point that you didn't take the time to read the information on the page I linked to, but instead posted a link to another page to "prove" I was wrong. Here's the link again. Perhaps you'll read it this time instead of harping about floppy seek.

Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40) error but I don't have a floppy drive - Tech Support Guy Forums

Try getting past the typo and onto solving the problem for the OP.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:07 AM

3,220 posts, read 3,880,011 times
Relax you two REEEEEELAX!

All I want to hear is when the OP posts what happened and that her 13yo son has his computer functioning back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers