U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:06 PM

210 posts, read 584,089 times
Default How do you find out if someone's gotten into your email?

I think my ex has been getting into my email from his house; he seems to know stuff that he wouldn't know otherwise. He knows my password.

How can I prove this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,146,872 times
Prove it? You can't really unless there is (dis)information planted in your email and he acts on it.

Otherwise change your email password and any other communication tools (IM passwords, PhotoBucket, Facebook, etc) then get on with life. If he has had access to your computer you may want someone to clean it up and secure it for you. He could've installed a nanny type software or similar that keeps an eye on what you are doing.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:46 PM

5,129 posts, read 5,798,073 times
Why don't you change your password?

If he is that good or your are that paranoid, then you are better of getting a new e-mail account and e-mailing your friends from that account only. Inform the company that provides the e-mail account, so they can disable/decommission it.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,645,833 times
Hello! change your password

Old 08-21-2010, 04:50 PM

14,217 posts, read 19,318,459 times
Most email services these days (Road Runner, AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) can be accessed from a web site using any computer, even if you normally use only the email software on your computer at home, if the person doing so knows your password.

Definitely change your password.

You might look for telltale signs he used your email such as anything he sent that is in your outbox or trash can. But nothing will show up there if all he did is read your emails. Some items may show up as read even though you had not read them yourself. Your email provider might be able to provide you information on when and from where your email account was accessed, you would have to ask them for their help on this. They may or may not help with this but it is worth asking.

Definitely change your password.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:01 PM

11,728 posts, read 23,484,844 times
This is another good reason to use Gmail since it'll give you a history of how your mail's been accessed and from what IP addresses.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 AM

164 posts, read 360,682 times
Change your password.

/thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:00 AM

14,217 posts, read 19,318,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
This is another good reason to use Gmail since it'll give you a history of how your mail's been accessed and from what IP addresses.

Thank you EscapeCalifornia for provided me with the following helpful information on how to find this in Gmail.

Quote:
From your gmail inbox page, look toward the bottom and you should see:

You are currently using XX MB (X%) of your XXXX MB.

Last account activity: XX minutes ago on this computer. Details

The "details" at the end is a link that shows you how, when, and from where your mail was accessed. The "sign out other sessions" button at the top is useful if you logged into Gmail from someone else's computer and forget to log out before leaving.
I found this additional useful information by following that Gmail link.

Last account activity - Gmail Help

Old 08-22-2010, 06:05 PM

21,865 posts, read 15,480,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I don't use any services like gmail but that is a nice feature. If the service you have does not have this feature you can ask them for this information because they will have it logged.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM

210 posts, read 584,089 times
Thank you, all. I will contact Apple about tracing my emails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers