U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 04:28 PM

57 posts, read 77,973 times

Advertisements

I'm left handed. At home I use a left handed trackball. 95% of the time I use the right handed mouse at work. I don't switch it. On a rare occasion I will switch the mouse to a left handed mouse if I have an extensive project or I have to do something where speed counts. I'm faster with a left handed setup. Most of the time I remember to switch the mouse back to a right handed setup. 3 times in 2 and a half years I have forgotten to switch the mouse back. On all 3 occasions, the coworker that used the computer after me could not figure out what was wrong with the computer. They would tell IT, "the computer is locked" or "the computer is frozen." The simple fact that you have to move the mouse from the left side of the computer to the right side of the computer should be the first sign that the clickers may be reversed. the next sign should be when you left click and the right click drop down menu pops up. In addition, 50% of our staff is left handed. That should help, shouldn't it?

I don't have a problem recognizing when the mouse buttons have been reversed, but it may be that I have a lot more experience with that situation, since I actually reverse the mouse a lot.

Is it that difficult to recognize when a mouse has been reversed? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:06 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Some people are clueless. You're stuck with it....

And you're right. It's not that difficult. Sounds like your coworker needs to complain about things.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
If this had become a big issue, perhaps your company should make the change to MAC!

Odd thing is I am left handed, I write with left, cannot use my right hand to write at all. I played soccer using both feet/legs in basketball I use my right hand, with computers whether it is a trackball or a mouse, I use right hand and cannot really use my left hand!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 PM

444 posts, read 1,071,333 times
The biggest problem in the world today is not the Middle East, but it's just as old. It's the Lefty vs Righty and for some reason we will always be out numbered!

Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 PM

621 posts, read 1,065,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconversant View Post
I'm left handed. At home I use a left handed trackball. 95% of the time I use the right handed mouse at work. I don't switch it. On a rare occasion I will switch the mouse to a left handed mouse if I have an extensive project or I have to do something where speed counts. I'm faster with a left handed setup. Most of the time I remember to switch the mouse back to a right handed setup. 3 times in 2 and a half years I have forgotten to switch the mouse back. On all 3 occasions, the coworker that used the computer after me could not figure out what was wrong with the computer. They would tell IT, "the computer is locked" or "the computer is frozen." The simple fact that you have to move the mouse from the left side of the computer to the right side of the computer should be the first sign that the clickers may be reversed. the next sign should be when you left click and the right click drop down menu pops up. In addition, 50% of our staff is left handed. That should help, shouldn't it?

I don't have a problem recognizing when the mouse buttons have been reversed, but it may be that I have a lot more experience with that situation, since I actually reverse the mouse a lot.

Is it that difficult to recognize when a mouse has been reversed? Just wondering.
I hear you. It shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out, no. I understand some people are not as computer savvy as others, but there are basic things that all computer users should be able to do...including adjusting the settings for devices such as the mouse and keyboard.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:30 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,405,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If this had become a big issue, perhaps your company should make the change to MAC!
What good would switching to a Media Access Control do?

If you mean a Mac that is made by Apple, then what difference would that make? The root problem here is that users are not smart enough to figure out that the mouse buttons and orientation have been switched. I would really like for you to expand on how using a Mac would mitigate this issue.

OP, I think you are expecting too much of people. I work in Tech Support and am amazed by the amount of people who can't even figure out how to turn on a PC much less how to tell the difference between selecting something by left clicking or opening a context menu by right clicking.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:59 PM

181 posts, read 268,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What good would switching to a Media Access Control do?

If you mean a Mac that is made by Apple, then what difference would that make? The root problem here is that users are not smart enough to figure out that the mouse buttons and orientation have been switched. I would really like for you to expand on how using a Mac would mitigate this issue.

OP, I think you are expecting too much of people. I work in Tech Support and am amazed by the amount of people who can't even figure out how to turn on a PC much less how to tell the difference between selecting something by left clicking or opening a context menu by right clicking.
Turco was just making a "switch to MAC" joke, OK? lighten up people...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers