U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2010, 08:15 PM
 
4,027 posts, read 7,040,080 times
Reputation: 2929

Advertisements

XP SP3

I can't boot into Windows. It was running fine, then shut down and then the next day it would not start up. The boot sequence on the screen for normal booting was just a blank screen. It never reached the Windows logo screen.

I then tried last known good configuration and it was the same behavior.

Then I tried booting into safe mode. The list of drivers was displayed but hung after printing out

isapnp.sys

How can I fix this? When the drivers are displayed on the screen during safe mode booting, does this mean the driver has been loaded or it is attempting to load the driver. I'm trying to figure out if isapnp.sys is the culprit or if the driver after that is.

Where can I find the sequence of drivers that are loaded up?


I should add that there are no errors when booting up in normal and safe mode.

Last edited by thebobs; 08-25-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Adding information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 PM
 
3,219 posts, read 5,835,813 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
XP SP3

I can't boot into Windows. It was running fine, then shut down and then the next day it would not start up. The boot sequence on the screen for normal booting was just a blank screen. It never reached the Windows logo screen.

I then tried last known good configuration and it was the same behavior.

Then I tried booting into safe mode. The list of drivers was displayed but hung after printing out

isapnp.sys

How can I fix this? When the drivers are displayed on the screen during safe mode booting, does this mean the driver has been loaded or it is attempting to load the driver. I'm trying to figure out if isapnp.sys is the culprit or if the driver after that is.

Where can I find the sequence of drivers that are loaded up?


I should add that there are no errors when booting up in normal and safe mode.
Never has that happened to me but here's some documentation from microsoft abut this: You receive a "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Isapnp.sys" error message at startup

Maybe someone else can help better but this sought of explains how to fix this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM
 
4,027 posts, read 7,040,080 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Never has that happened to me but here's some documentation from microsoft abut this: You receive a "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Isapnp.sys" error message at startup

Maybe someone else can help better but this sought of explains how to fix this.

Thanks. I did come across that site earlier but isapnp.sys is not giving a failure to load message.

To further describe what happens, picture a normal good working machine booting into safe mode. You see the drivers loading up as each line scrolls across the screen and then you get into Windows.

Well as soon as it reaches isapnp.sys, it prints out the path and driver name and then stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 PM
 
3,219 posts, read 5,835,813 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Thanks. I did come across that site earlier but isapnp.sys is not giving a failure to load message.

To further describe what happens, picture a normal good working machine booting into safe mode. You see the drivers loading up as each line scrolls across the screen and then you get into Windows.

Well as soon as it reaches isapnp.sys, it prints out the path and driver name and then stops.
I wonder if it's some type of Virus or Trojan Horse that's responsible for this.

Or maybe a bad sector of the hard drive.

Do you have any hard drive diagnostics on CD that runs in DOS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 PM
 
4,027 posts, read 7,040,080 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I wonder if it's some type of Virus or Trojan Horse that's responsible for this.

Or maybe a bad sector of the hard drive.

Do you have any hard drive diagnostics on CD that runs in DOS?
Hmmm, I'd have to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 PM
 
3,219 posts, read 5,835,813 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Hmmm, I'd have to check.
Worth checking the hard drive just in case and if it shows it being bad you probably have your answer.

I always have a Hiren's Boot CD handy which has some hard drive tests on it and runs in DOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 PM
 
28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times
Reputation: 37262
Considering what I found in my next post I advise skipping this one!

It has been my experience that the driver/file that fails isn't the one you see last in the list, it's the next one.

Somewhere, many moons ago, I found a web site that listed the files that load and the order in which they loaded so you could see what the problem file was.

BYB

I'm not finding it. The list changes somewhat depending on the hardware installed, but the constant is that the last file you see has loaded or it wouldn't be in the list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 PM
 
28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times
Reputation: 37262
I Googled for a different answer and found this. Read the whole thing before you do anything!

My Windows XP not booting up including safe mode
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 09:17 PM
 
3,219 posts, read 5,835,813 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It has been my experience that the driver/file that fails isn't the one you see last in the list, it's the next one.

Somewhere, many moons ago, I found a web site that listed the files that load and the order in which they loaded so you could see what the problem file was.

BYB

I'm not finding it. The list changes somewhat depending on the hardware installed, but the constant is that the last file you see has loaded or it wouldn't be in the list...
That's a tough one to know what file in his install would be missing the next in sequence then but IMO it possibly could be a bad sector of the hard drive causing havoc too that when it hits that it stalls.

I guess either a repair install if possible or a fresh reinstall of the OS in this case if the hard drive is good right?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 PM
 
28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times
Reputation: 37262
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
That's a tough one to know what file in his install would be missing the next in sequence then but IMO it possibly could be a bad sector of the hard drive causing havoc too that when it hits that it stalls.

I guess either a repair install if possible or a fresh reinstall of the OS in this case if the hard drive is good right?.
After reading the posts on the site I linked to, a format no. At least not right away... I do like the repair option, though. I have saved many computers using Recovery Console.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:10 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top