U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 03:31 PM

181 posts, read 268,794 times

Advertisements

Putting XP on the computer all depends on the computers specs. Right click on "My Computer" and click "Properties" and tell is what it says for RAM and CPU, then we can tell you whether it could run XP or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 05:15 PM

10,618 posts, read 12,649,314 times
When I click on properties it just laughs at me. Hysterically. Then it proceeds to call me a loser. I think the Firefox is the only thing that may possibly work. All the other ones I checked out immediately told me incompatible, and again, I could swear I heard my computer laughing at me...

Old 08-28-2010, 07:28 PM

What in the world are you talking about

Old 08-28-2010, 07:53 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,375,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Windows 2000 is not being updated anymore (not even security patches) so its a good idea to dump it.
Not really. Win2000 was very reliable and secure.

Quote:
if this machine is still running Windows 2000, its probably pretty old. Why are you so attached to an ancient PC?
There are many possibilities:

1 - Money (as mentioned)

2 - Hassle (researching what to buy etc etc)

3 - Said PC already does everything that is required

4 - Said PC is reliable

5 - Unlike many, no urge to keep up with the Joneses in a sheeple kinda way or some sad need to be "cool" (in a dweeb kinda way)

Re the browser, use IE 6. It's better than later versions anyway, and better than the overrated Firefox (pick a version).

Re the PC in general: does it work? Does it do everything you need? Are you anything other than stinkin rich? Then why bother?

pcb, get out more.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Not really. Win2000 was very reliable and secure.

There are many possibilities:

1 - Money (as mentioned)

2 - Hassle (researching what to buy etc etc)

3 - Said PC already does everything that is required

4 - Said PC is reliable

5 - Unlike many, no urge to keep up with the Joneses in a sheeple kinda way or some sad need to be "cool" (in a dweeb kinda way)

Re the browser, use IE 6. It's better than later versions anyway, and better than the overrated Firefox (pick a version).

Re the PC in general: does it work? Does it do everything you need? Are you anything other than stinkin rich? Then why bother?

pcb, get out more.
Do you know what "unsupported" means? Microsoft is DONE with Windows 2000. No more security fixes. Not gonna happen. That alone makes it a bad idea for the average user to take online.

Then you suggest he use IE6, the most insecure, spyware plagued browser of all time? You've got to be kidding me.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,375,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Do you know what "unsupported" means? Microsoft is DONE with Windows 2000. No more security fixes. Not gonna happen. That alone makes it a bad idea for the average user to take online.
First, thanks for the snotty reply. You'd make a great sys admin (if you aren't one already).

Second, do you know that Windows is and has always been inherently insecure? If not, you're one of the very few. If newer versions were so much better, they wouldn't need umpteen security fixes (although that said, I like XP a lot as well). Face it: they can't make a TRULY secure OS.

Third, do you know that what makes a system secure is as much if not more safe computing practices, using "good"/current virus and spyware programs, firewalls, etc etc vs simply the OS?

Quote:
Then you suggest he use IE6, the most insecure, spyware plagued browser of all time? You've got to be kidding me.
As opposed to all those ultra-secure, spyware-free browsers out there? You gotta be kidding me. I'd love to hear how you arrived at the conclusion that it's so much less secure than other comparable browsers.

PS: I've used IE6 a lot (after finally giving up on Firefox). Amazingly, my bank accounts haven't been emptied. I suggest it because it's the best thing he can run on Win2000. What would you suggest instead?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
First, thanks for the snotty reply. You'd make a great sys admin (if you aren't one already).

Second, do you know that Windows is and has always been inherently insecure? If not, you're one of the very few. If newer versions were so much better, they wouldn't need umpteen security fixes (although that said, I like XP a lot as well). Face it: they can't make a TRULY secure OS.

Third, do you know that what makes a system secure is as much if not more safe computing practices, using "good"/current virus and spyware programs, firewalls, etc etc vs simply the OS?

As opposed to all those ultra-secure, spyware-free browsers out there? You gotta be kidding me. I'd love to hear how you arrived at the conclusion that it's so much less secure than other comparable browsers.

PS: I've used IE6 a lot (after finally giving up on Firefox). Amazingly, my bank accounts haven't been emptied. I suggest it because it's the best thing he can run on Win2000. What would you suggest instead?
When did I say newer operating systems were completely secure? I said that Win2000 is no longer being supported, patched, or updated. Windows XP SP3 and later versions of Windows are being patched. That means that when some security hole is found, it'll get patched for XP, Vista, and Win7, NOT for Win2000. Would you rather run an OS that's being patched by its maker as problems are discovered or would you rather the holes be left wide open for exploitation?

If you can't see IE6's major security problem, you haven't been paying attention to PCs in the last decade. Spyware became a household term under IE6's reign as the dominant browser. Just about anything, including later versions of IE are more secure. I personally run Firefox with NoScript.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:51 AM

10,618 posts, read 12,649,314 times
I don't think I can even run IE6 on this thing. Is that the latest or somewhat recent version? I've tried updating a few times and I keep getting the incompatible message.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM

No, IE8 is the most recent version, so if you are trying to update, it might be trying to go to IE8.........hence the incompatibility message.

I would try google chrome

Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,281,969 times
My opinion as an MCTS: Skip XP and go to Windows 7, if you can.

Reason: Windows 7 is optimized for older hardware. XP will run decently on it initially, but over time it's going to get slower and slower. Windows 7 contains built-in optimizers that keep it running fairly good, even on the lowest powered hardware. Additionally, you're probably going to find XP choking on certain hardware drivers it can't locate; where Windows 7 may have better luck.

If it's TOO old then you'd have a problem. But I've yet to run across a machine that couldn't run 7. Might download the 7 Readiness tool and run it, see what it says.

For a browser IE8 will be a small bit sluggish, but it'll work just fine. Firefox will be dog slow on that machine. Chrome will be fairly quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or