U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:15 AM

10,618 posts, read 12,655,860 times

Advertisements

I'm not a tech guy, I basically just use the computer for entertainment and some online bill pay stuff. I currently have windows 2000 professional and was wondering if upgrading to XP will screw everything up. I got the XP disc free and that's what my son is running on his pc and it seems to be pretty good. I'm not willing to put even a penny into my old ghetto pc, so if the XP will work without being a complete disaster I'll do it, otherwise I'll just leave things alone until the day finally comes that I crack and buy a new PC, which could possibly be never.

Just looking for a little feedback on whether this will work or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 10:39 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,350,995 times
Windows 2000 is not being updated anymore (not even security patches) so its a good idea to dump it. You'll always have the best, most reliable, result if you reformat and install the new operating system rather than simply upgrading right over the old one. No one can tell you if upgrading will be smooth or major headaches. But if this machine is still running Windows 2000, its probably pretty old. Why are you so attached to an ancient PC?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:21 AM

Not attatched for any reason other than money. I have never, ever, had to buy a pc.
I always inherit one from a friend or relative every few years
So the price is right, but obviously I'm always behind the 8 ball so to speak.
Doesn't bother me really, like I said, I don't live by the computer, recreation purposes only...

Old 08-28-2010, 11:29 AM

3,083 posts, read 3,486,791 times
What are the specs of your computer (memory, processor, storage)?

Without knowing this it's hard to predict whether XP would run decently or not.

Microsoft lists their minimum system requirements here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865

Old 08-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Tell me more about this free XP disc. Are you sure it can even be activated on your PC? Windows is licensed for use on one PC. If you're not sure you can successfully activate it and get updates from Microsoft, don't install it.

If the XP is legit, you can give it a shot installing it, but you may come to the point where it doesn't work and your computer knowledge is insufficient to proceed. If you had to pay someone to complete the job, you will have exceeded the value of that machine.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:36 AM

The disc is legit. I have all the proper stuff to use it.
My PC did get some minor hot rodding a few years ago, and I actully began running the XP disc to see if it was gonna work or not, and it did begin the installation but I aborted because I got cold feet, I was afraid it may screw something up.
Again, not a tech guy at all. Turn it on, and that's it. So I have no idea of the system stuff and memory etc, I just know a tech geek buddy of mine beefed it up a few years back and installed the Windows 2000 because it had been running '98.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The disc is legit. I have all the proper stuff to use it.
My PC did get some minor hot rodding a few years ago, and I actully began running the XP disc to see if it was gonna work or not, and it did begin the installation but I aborted because I got cold feet, I was afraid it may screw something up.
Again, not a tech guy at all. Turn it on, and that's it. So I have no idea of the system stuff and memory etc, I just know a tech geek buddy of mine beefed it up a few years back and installed the Windows 2000 because it had been running '98.
Right click on "My Computer" and hit properties. That'll tell you the CPU and amount of RAM.

Without knowing what hardware you have, its impossible to say for sure how well it would run XP. Your friend probably just added enough RAM to allow Win2000 to run OK. That means its basically still a Win98 era computer with more RAM, maybe 256MB which is OK for Win2000, but painfully insufficient for XP. Even 512MB really isn't enough to run a modern installation of XP without major tweaking or enjoying a very slow PC. That's probably the most he could have gotten into a machine from the late 90's.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Ok. So much for that plan...
Anything I can do to tweek this dinosaur?
It's gettin a bit slow, and certain pages tell me to update browser etc...

Old 08-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Ok. So much for that plan...
Anything I can do to tweek this dinosaur?
It's gettin a bit slow, and certain pages tell me to update browser etc...
Dinosaurs are extinct. I'm not even sure what modern browsers would run on Win2000. I know IE won't go past 6.0 on Win2000. Firefox 3.6 might work. You could try Google Chrome too.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Ok. Thanks so much for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or