Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:29 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times

Advertisements

I have a Dell pc that somehow or another got screwed up.
The password I selected wont let me log on to Windows.
No matter what I try.
Even safe mode.
Other than removing the hard drive--what can I do to get the password to work?
Are there any free password recovery programs I can download to a flash drive and install?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
Is the Admistrator account the one that has the missing password? Are there any other login accounts on the comptuer that have Administrative privledges? If so, you can log into one of those accounts, and change the password to your current account. Do this via the "Users" icon in the Control Panel.

You might try the following steps to get into the Administraor account:
Quote:
When we install Windows, it automatically creates an account "Administrator" and sets its password to blank. So if you have forget your user account password then try this:
Start system and when you see Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press <ctrl>+<alt>+<del> keys twice and it'll show Classic Login box. Now type "Administrator" (without quotes) in Username and leave Password field blank. Now press Enter and you should be able to log in Windows.
Now you can reset your account password from "Control Panel -> User Accounts".
Same thing can be done using Safe Mode. In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work.
I can't get anywhere with this machine.
It's appears the machine wont reconize my keyboard.
So I tried a brand new keyboard---and also put it in a different port.
Same thing.

It starts up and shuts down super fast.
Upon start-up--I get the black screen.
There is an option to bypass the 'password' by hitting { i THINK it said} control/enter.

Nothing.
I have some videos on this PC of a friend that was killed in Iraq that I realllllly don't wanna loose.

Thanks for any and all help you all can provide.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Is it the Windows logon password, or are you talking about a password that when entered, allows Windows to continue booting up?

If it's the latter, it's a BIOS password, and they can usually be cleared by closing a jumper on your motherboard. I don't know about your specific machine, but if that's what it is, Dell should be able to help you figure out what needs to be done to clear it.

Either way, unless there's some corruption on the disk that's causing the problem, your videos should be fine. Just don't take the PC somewhere or ship it to Dell. Dell WILL wipe your drive, and there's a decent chance that any local shop you take it to will, too.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:28 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
There are several programs out there that can be used to crack passwords.
I think something else is going on here, though.
Safe Mode should not be prompting you for a password.
I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM

16,660 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There are several programs out there that can be used to crack passwords.
I think something else is going on here, though.
Safe Mode should not be prompting you for a password.
I don't think I have ever seen that before.
Windows WILL require a password to start in Safe Mode if it requires a password for a normal startup.

Do an Internet search for Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD). It starts with a Linux shell and includes a utility to change or remove Windows passwords. I know that it does work.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:05 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
99% of the time starting in Safe Mode will allow you into Windows because no one bothers to put a password on the Administrator account. All you have to do is click on it and in you go!

I've got a CD somewhere that does the same as the one Mensaguy mentioned. It's not the easiest process to follow, but it will reset passwords for Windows accounts.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
I have some videos on this PC of a friend that was killed in Iraq that I realllllly don't wanna loose.

Thanks for any and all help you all can provide.
If you want to save all your files before you attempt to "break into" your computer, I suggest you download Linux (i.e. Ubuntu or Parted Magic).

Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

PartedMagic: DistroWatch.com: Parted Magic

Create a "live CD" or a "trial disk" from the download and boot up your computer with this live CD. You can then browse and save all your windows files to a portable or flash drive.

After you've retrieved all your files, you can then do the ultimate boot disk that mensaguy and tek_freek mentioned to try to fix your computer.

Here's an old link I had bookmarked. There might be a more updated one if you search for it.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_create_ultimate_boot_disk

Hope you successfully fix your computer!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:03 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Windows WILL require a password to start in Safe Mode if it requires a password for a normal startup.
Quote:
99% of the time starting in Safe Mode will allow you into Windows because no one bothers to put a password on the Administrator account.
Quoted for truth.
I would say 99.99% of the time.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
If you want to save all your files before you attempt to "break into" your computer, I suggest you download Linux (i.e. Ubuntu or Parted Magic).

Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

PartedMagic: DistroWatch.com: Parted Magic

Create a "live CD" or a "trial disk" from the download and boot up your computer with this live CD. You can then browse and save all your windows files to a portable or flash drive.

After you've retrieved all your files, you can then do the ultimate boot disk that mensaguy and tek_freek mentioned to try to fix your computer.

Here's an old link I had bookmarked. There might be a more updated one if you search for it.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_create_ultimate_boot_disk

Hope you successfully fix your computer!
All that capability is already on the Ultimate Boot CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers