U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times

Advertisements

I agree with NHDave, if it was a one time thing, I would not lose sleep over it.
It could happen on any system and BSoDs are not that big-o-deal as long as you are not seeing multiple instances with the same week or so.

As Escape stated, this Windows kernel component crapping out which doesn't really help narrow down the actual device if there was one to begin with:
Quote:
Caused by driver [ntkrnlpa.exe]
My 2 cents:
As Dave said, if it doesn't happen again, go buy a smoothie and enjoy your system and the smoothie while you are repping Dave.

If it happens again, the most common 3 musketeers (devices) that typically cause this on Windows are: Video Adapter, NIC (wireless or wired network card) and Sound/Audio card.

The million dollar question would be, what were you doing when this occurred? Were you on the Internet? Were you burning a CD? etc.
If it was a sound/audio heavy task, I would lean toward the sound card, if you were playing a game, then the video adapter but if you were online or using some web application, then the culprit logically should be the Network card.

If none of the above is the case or it was too random, then it might have been an application that could have misbehaved even which could explain the 'one time' occurrence.

New operating system so this type of issues are not to unusual, my suggestion, check for driver updates for your devices: Video, Audio, NIC, Mobo chipset (heck even BIOS if it comes down to it).
If there are any updates for any of the 4 devices I listed above, it might be wise to update them.

One last possibility for BSoD is a malware infection or collateral damage dome to operating system during the disinfection process.

Hope this provides some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 PM

452 posts, read 778,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Google search that and see what comes up.
I follow your advised and checked into Ntkrnlpa.exe. wih google. It is a process associated with Microsoft/ Windows operating system. It states that as the computer gets older, installing/disabling programs leave behind fragments, corrupted drivers, and overtime the Registry starts to get bogged down and conflicts emerge, which lead to the BSOD Then it leads me to a scan for these problems, that leads me to Uniblue Registry Cleaner, which is a Microsoft Certified partner.

I scanned it and it found 171 errors. What do you think? Should I purchase this Registry Cleaner? Thank you,

Old 09-04-2010, 03:26 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
Uniblue Registry Cleaner
No, its garbage. You clicked on an ad.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
No, its garbage. You clicked on an ad.
So what will fixed these Registry Keys? Thank you,

Old 09-04-2010, 12:50 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
So what will fixed these Registry Keys? Thank you,
Quite possibly those keys were not even an issue, even if the findings were valid, they might not even be related to your BSoD!
Miranda, you are not following sound advice but instead going on your own and knowingly or not running an unknown program and worse, trusting the info given by that program.

As NHDave mentioned and so did I, if it was a one time thing, then doing nothing could be the wisest move for now. That said, seeing you ignored/didn't read my last post, this one would probably go to waste too?

Oh well...

Old 09-04-2010, 01:44 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
DO NOT, and I will repeat this, DO NOT download, install, or use ANY software from uniblue. I will also say as strongly, DO NOT use any registry cleaner or system optimizer on your computer, it's not at all impossible that doing so could render your computer useless. Registry cleaning is not needed, and unless you have the ability to determine that what it wants to remove is in fact not needed, then you shouldn't be running them.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Quite possibly those keys were not even an issue, even if the findings were valid, they might not even be related to your BSoD!
Miranda, you are not following sound advice but instead going on your own and knowingly or not running an unknown program and worse, trusting the info given by that program.

As NHDave mentioned and so did I, if it was a one time thing, then doing nothing could be the wisest move for now. That said, seeing you ignored/didn't read my last post, this one would probably go to waste too?

Oh well...
Turcoloco, NHDave (I am glad you are not angry with me anymore,] and Escape California: I read your replies, and I am going to listen to all of you. I am going to leave things alone, and see what happens from this point on. And I will not download any Registry Cleaners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers