Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:31 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times

Advertisements

I used to believe in laptops as a main computer for awhile, but I went back to the desktop world after I built my i7 920 desktop. And now I can run 4 24" monitors at 1920 x 1200 if I want to with my 460 SLI setup. You can easily build a desktop to specs better than any laptop... ever see a laptop with 12 gb of memory? Or 5.5 gb of hard drive space which I got?

I used to believe in laptops for their portability which is their only advantage over a desktop. I once thought a laptop would be a great htpc with it's low power but my current i7 920 460 sli desktop only draws 188 watts with no monitors running - and a desktop HTPC can be built to run 4 tv tuners and record 4 tv stations at the same time.

And desktops are easily fixable with common components. Laptops have special components that you need a good warranty to service.

So in my world, desktops rule. Only use laptops for portable moments, vacations, and car gps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 06:10 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I used to believe in laptops as a main computer for awhile, but I went back to the desktop world after I built my i7 920 desktop. And now I can run 4 24" monitors at 1920 x 1200 if I want to with my 460 SLI setup. You can easily build a desktop to specs better than any laptop... ever see a laptop with 12 gb of memory? Or 5.5 gb of hard drive space which I got?

I used to believe in laptops for their portability which is their only advantage over a desktop. I once thought a laptop would be a great htpc with it's low power but my current i7 920 460 sli desktop only draws 188 watts with no monitors running - and a desktop HTPC can be built to run 4 tv tuners and record 4 tv stations at the same time.

And desktops are easily fixable with common components. Laptops have special components that you need a good warranty to service.

So in my world, desktops rule. Only use laptops for portable moments, vacations, and car gps.
That is true, but to me the portability trumps a desktop.

I think in the end though, as with any computer, performance depends on the needs of the user, so it's an either/or thing IMO.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
That is true, but to me the portability trumps a desktop.

I think in the end though, as with any computer, performance depends on the needs of the user, so it's an either/or thing IMO.
Agreed. If I need my computer it is next to my couch. Not in an "office" somewhere.

Have I seen a laptop with 12GB's of RAM? No. Do I need a laptop with 12GB of RAM? No.
Do I need 4 monitors? No. 1 is all I NEED, 2 is nice to have.... 3 and 4? What do you use 3 and 4 for, I wonder?

For gaming I have a PS3. Which I like very much. It has never crashed and I never have to check specs before I buy a game.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agreed. If I need my computer it is next to my couch. Not in an "office" somewhere.

Have I seen a laptop with 12GB's of RAM? No. Do I need a laptop with 12GB of RAM? No.
Do I need 4 monitors? No. 1 is all I NEED, 2 is nice to have.... 3 and 4? What do you use 3 and 4 for, I wonder?

For gaming I have a PS3. Which I like very much. It has never crashed and I never have to check specs before I buy a game.
I tried to rep you, but I have to spread it around first.

I could have written this post. (Key the theme to The Twilight Zone)

Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 AM

Peregrine,

Not to get too off topic (Yeah, right ) but what do you play on the PS3? I'm always looking for new games.

Lately for us it's been Assassin's Creed (both), Wolfenstein, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted, and the Ratchet and Clank series.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Hopelessly addicted to Battlefield2: Bad Company. I traded Call of Duty in for it. LOVE both games. Slight edge to BF: BC2. The "squading tactic" adds such a great layer. And driving tanks and flying helo's is cool, too.

Also: Red Dead Redemption. Never was a huge GTA fan but I like the Western twist to this game.
Getting ready to finally trade in Little Big Planet. That is a pretty fun platformer.
Blur is a super fun car racing game. I downloaded the demo for that. Might buy.
And, of course, the Staple of every system I've owned including PC: Tiger Woods Golf.
I love golf games.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:13 PM

We keep looking at Little Big Planet. Perhaps it's time to do it.

I found COD 4 to be really short. Perhaps I am spoiled by Wolfenstein, which is a long game.

I'll look into Battlefield2: Bad Company.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers