U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 06:45 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,836,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If you know how to do this, *best solution* !!

Better yet, hook the old drive up as a second drive !?!

But, Does the new computer function properly ?
Something tells me that the OP may have possibly screwed up their other computer too somehow. Why do I think that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Put the memory back in, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I put one stick of the memory back in.
Maybe part of the motherboard fried,i dont have any other ideas.
Its booting up,i can hear the fans,keyboard responds and mouse lights up,fans etc.
Im thinking of just pulling the hard drive out and getting my music (50GIGs worth)off of it.
Following directions doesn't seem to be this posters strong suit...

Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,127,013 times
Quote:
Following directions doesn't seem to be this posters strong suit...
Hey Now!!
I did try re-seating the Vidcard.
Did try taking out the battery and putting it back in.
Could try both sticks of ram...(Shouldnt matter unless i have bad memory)
Shouldnt bad memory cause beeping noises?
I dont really need this PC,but was hoping to sell it for a few extra $$.
Could put this Hard-drive into my new PC but im afraid something will screw up lol.
Looks simple enough,has a power connection and SATA connection.
SATA doesnt do master or slave correct?so the Bios should adjust or i just hit cable select.
If i wasnt so broke i would have bought an external hard-drive to back everything up long ago!

Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Hey Now!!
I did try re-seating the Vidcard.
Did try taking out the battery and putting it back in.
Could try both sticks of ram...(Shouldnt matter unless i have bad memory)
Shouldnt bad memory cause beeping noises?
I dont really need this PC,but was hoping to sell it for a few extra $$.
Could put this Hard-drive into my new PC but im afraid something will screw up lol.
Looks simple enough,has a power connection and SATA connection.
SATA doesnt do master or slave correct?so the Bios should adjust or i just hit cable select.
If i wasnt so broke i would have bought an external hard-drive to back everything up long ago!
His reaction/assumption was natural since you didn't provide this feedback earlier so it seemed like you either didn't read or didn't do the logical troubleshooting steps suggested and it does frustrate the person who is trying to help.

Anyhow, back to the old junk that wouldn't power on, which is the key info here.
I would go back to basics, have everything removed/disconnected from this motherboard, have only the video card (take out the add-in type unless that is all you had), remove all other add-in cards regardless of what they are for.
Have only the monitor and the keyboard connected, disconnect even all the hard drives since you can even get the system to boot up properly.
Have one stick of RAM even if the original configuration was 2 sticks, SIMM days are long gone.

Of course CPU and its heat sink/fan should be connected as well as all the minimal connection needed from power supply to motherboard.

Now, press the button switch and observe if:
1. Power Supply becomes active or not (humming, tiny vibration, PSU fan spinning) if all is well move on to next step, if not go to A1.

2. PSU is live and kicking but still no screen, how about mobo, do you see any lights on the motherboard itself light up? How about the front of the case where the front panel LEDs typically located? If front panel LEDs light up but no lights on the motherboard and system still doesn't power on, go to B1.

3. If absolutely no lights are turning on and you do not feel any juice coming to the mobo, no front panel lights coming on at all, go to C1.

4. Both the front panel is lighting up and the mobo lights turn on indicating that the mobo is getting juice yet still nothing, go to D1.

A1: Check the source where the power supply is connected on the wall or surge protector to make sure the outlet is good. If not sure use a known good one. If that checked out move on to A2.

A2: Make sure your power cord is good, use the other PC's power cord if not sure.
If that is not the case move on to A3.

A3: Power Supply could be bad, have a local shop check it (they should do this for free).

B1: Power Supply appears to be functional and the Case seems to be getting power as the front panel LEDs light up, this logically leaves 3 logical possibilities as to why the PC is not powering on:
- B1.1: The cables/connections from the front panel (Power aka ON/OFF switch) to the motherboard are either loose or not connected properly. If they appear to be connected, make sure they are positioned properly, you might have disconnected when you were getting busy in there the last time.

- B1.2: There motherboard is shorting somewhere!!
* A loose screw under or on the mobo or some other loose/open wire.
* An improperly seated/loose add-in card of any kind.
* An improperly inserted/seated RAM stick.
* Motherboard not properly grounded.

--> Do a complete motherboard disassembly or removal might confirm this.

- B1.3: Motherboard was damaged/is bad.

C1: If connections from the case power switch to the motherboard look OK (even if they did, I would still double-check), try removing just the connection for the PC Power (ON) and try turning it on by shorting the related jumpers using a flat screw driver or paper clip (check Mobo manual or vendor web site to find out exactly which jumpers). If that didn't help either then see B1.3. If that works then the power switch or the related cables are bad.

D1: Does the CPU fan start spinning at all, even for a second?
Yes, then problem is 90% B1.3 or 10% PSU is bad (meaning it's still a possibility).

If CPU fan doesn't start spinning at all, then if you hadn't already done so, check for these in this order:
- B1.1
- C1

If none of the above was the cause then 100% ---> B1.3. Have a local shop check to confirm.

You might be better off connecting this HD as 'Slave' to the new PC (if that one is still working) or get one of those IDE/SATA drive drive connectors that comes with its own power connection. You connect that adapter to your drive, connect its power cable to the drive and the adapter connects to a working PC/Laptop via USB cable that it also comes with. A basic model costs around $10-$15.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 09-04-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-04-2010, 07:27 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Damn, Turco, I'm tired already and I don't have to do any of this!

Old 09-04-2010, 07:43 PM

3,219 posts, read 5,836,300 times
Quote:
Damn, Turco, I'm tired already and I don't have to do any of this!
Get some rest and try again tomorrow - NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or