U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,308,133 times

Advertisements

When I had VISTA removed and replaced with windows7, bing loaded as my search engine. I don't like it and want to replace it with google. How can I do this? I do not have it as a program to uninstall and when I do a search under programs I get no hits when I enter bing. (I don't want google as my home page) Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 AM

34,293 posts, read 59,604,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
When I had VISTA removed and replaced with windows7, bing loaded as my search engine. I don't like it and want to replace it with google. How can I do this? I do not have it as a program to uninstall and when I do a search under programs I get no hits when I enter bing. (I don't want google as my home page) Thanks
Top right of your browser screen, look for the magnifying glass to the right of Bing.
Click the down arrow to the right of the magnifying glass.
That will open a drop down menu.

Click "Find More Providers..."

That will open a page where you have many search providers from which to select.
After you add Google, you can also click "Manage Search Providers" in that same dropdown menu, and highlight Google to choose to make Google your default search provider.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM

I did this, yet bing remains even after a reboot. I have even disabled it, but it still is there. I tried to chat the search numbers and make it number one, but can't do that.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,032,394 times
Probably because you have automatic updates on. Microsoft deployed a new version of IE8 over auto updates and by default it sets your homepage to bing. Either that or you were using live search.

You can either download google toolbar and remove the bing toolbar or set your homepage to google.
Or try changing it in tools/internet options and change the homepage to google.com

Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 AM

181 posts, read 268,711 times
Go to Google, there is usually a link that says "Make Google my homepage" try that if you haven't already.

BTW, what browser are you using, chrome, internet explorer????

Old 09-02-2010, 02:30 PM

I'm using IE. I like for my homepage to be my mail (not microsoft or google mail) and have the serach option as google.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:01 PM

34,293 posts, read 59,604,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
I'm using IE. I like for my homepage to be my mail (not microsoft or google mail) and have the serach option as google.
Your mail?

Separate your home page desire from the search function.
It should be very easy to reset your default search.

While in the Search Provider management screen, setting Google as default, did you click the box that says, "Prevent programs from suggesting changes to my default search provider?"

Did you add Google as a Search Provider, or just try to remove Bing?
If you try to remove Bing without another provider, you will probably fail. Can't say for sure, as it is not something I have tried.

I'm out of bullets.
You may have to wait for one of the smarter CD fellers here to come by.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,727 times
Hello,
Thanks for sharing this information this information will be very useful in future. I like this type of information and i think you will share more information about removing bing in future.

thanks!!

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-04-2010 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: sorry, no signature links (manually inserted links)

Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,841,761 times
Isn't the search option a function of your toolbar?

On Mozilla, I have like four search toolbars up, and I can put the information I'm looking for in any one of those four search boxes.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:23 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,512,498 times
Well, I'm definitely not "one of the smarter" but I agree with Mike but would also like to add a few things.

First, I'm thinking it's a function of the browser you're using.

Since I primarily use Firefox and IE (although I do have K-Meleon, Opera, Chrome, and Safari installed), I have no problem changing the default search engine that is provided in the upper right corner in either IE or Firefox.

I'm assuming by your description that you are using IE and if you have Windows7, it's probably IE8.

1. In IE8, as Mike pointed out, go to the down arrow just to the right of the magnifying glass.

2. When you click on that arrow, you'll see at the bottom of that menu “Manage Search Providers.”

3. After clicking on that, a box will pop up that is titled “Manage Add-ons --View and manage your Internet Explorer add-ons.”

4. On the left side, you'll see a column titled “Add-on Types.” If “Search Providers” isn't already highlighted, click on it and you'll see a list of search providers on the right side of the box. You'll probably have at least Bing, Google, and Yahoo. One of them will have the status “Default.” In your case it's probably Bing.

5. Right click on Google and choose “Set As Default.” Or highlight Google and click on the box at the bottom titled “Set as Default.”

If you know you never want to switch search engines again, you can actually remove Bing, Yahoo, etc. by highlighting each and clicking on the “Remove” button. Even if you remove them, you can always re-add them later if you wish.

6. Then click on the “Close” button.

I have automatic updates and I have my default search engine as Google and it stays Google in IE.

If by chance you are using Firefox or another browser other than IE (it doesn't sound as if you are), let us know and we can give you instructions on how to set the default there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers