U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 10:06 AM

857 posts, read 3,165,839 times

Advertisements

This is really frustrating for me and I'm hoping someone can help. Yesterday, I was testing out Camstudio to see how it would work. The video was fine, but no audio. I tried Audacity, Skype, and GoogleTalk. None of them were picking up any audio. I've checked every sound setting on my computer (that I'm aware of) and adjusted the mic to max to no avail. I've used three different microphone headsets. I have no idea what the problem is.

I'm using Windows Vista and my PC is a HP Pavillion Special Edition. My PC is saying that the microphone is called Realtek High Definition Audio. It seems to me that something isn't enabled as a default. If someone could help me with this, I'd really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 11:27 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
This is really frustrating for me and I'm hoping someone can help. Yesterday, I was testing out Camstudio to see how it would work. The video was fine, but no audio. I tried Audacity, Skype, and GoogleTalk. None of them were picking up any audio. I've checked every sound setting on my computer (that I'm aware of) and adjusted the mic to max to no avail. I've used three different microphone headsets. I have no idea what the problem is.

I'm using Windows Vista and my PC is a HP Pavillion Special Edition. My PC is saying that the microphone is called Realtek High Definition Audio. It seems to me that something isn't enabled as a default. If someone could help me with this, I'd really appreciate it!
Adjust microphone volume

Old 09-05-2010, 11:40 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Exactly where are you plugging the mic in?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:25 PM

I have gone through the settings posted in the link. I've also used the setup your microphone section under Control Panel > Speech Recognition Options. It isn't hearing any sound in the mic. I'm plugging the mic in the red port. I have a port in both the front and back. Neither of them are hearing any sound.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:32 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Check this to see if it helps:
1. Start
2. Run
3. type mmsys.cpl > OK
4. On the 'Volume' tab, click on Advanced button under 'Device volume' section.
5. When the 'Master Volume' window appears, you should see 'Microphone' and 'Front Microphone' fields.
6. If you didn't, then click on Options > Properties to enable them:
(While you are there, check the 'Advanced Controls' option too!)

7. Now that they are enabled to for interaction, make sure they were not muted (the box was checked).
8. If the box next to those were checked, clear the boxes to unmute them (while you are at it, click on Advanced button under each to enable 'Mic Boost' if desired):

9. Now one other section to check, from the Options > Properties
change the 'Mixer device' to Realtek HD Audio Input and make sure all option boxes were check, then click OK to view these settings.

10. If any of the microphone related ones were muted, clear their boxes and click OK (you won't be able to modify the volume knobs here):

11. When done, back on the main 'Sounds and Audio devices properties' window, click on the Audio tab and under 'Sound recording' section in the middle, make sure Realtek HD Audio Input is the one selected. If 'Realtek HD Digital Input was selected, it might be the cause as quite often it is not supported (or the Audio Device in the BIOS could be selected as AC97).

Note: At the bottom of this page, there should be "Use only default devices" option, if checked try unchecking it or the other way around.

Hope this helps, if not your sounds card or its devices might be the cause.

Also check the Device Manager to make sure there are no warnings on the Audio device:
1. Start > Run > devmgmt.sys > OK
2. Check the 'Sound, video and game controllers section' for any reported issues or yellow exclamation marks.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Turco, this isn't my operating system.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 PM

Whose operating system is it? Did you mean, you were using Vista as opposed to XP? If so, I'd imagine most of my instructions would still be applicable? Instead of typing mmsys.cpl, you could go to Control Panel and double-click the Audio/Sound applet, etc., no?

If not then I am sorry.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 PM

No. I'm sorry to say that in Vista it is absolutely nothing like the sound settings and pathways mentioned in your post. It goes as far as mmsys.cpl and that's about the end of the similarities. I honestly tried to follow along, navigating all over the sound section, but the settings are completely different. (I think XP and 98 were more similar with things like this.)There is no devmgmt.sys file in Vista.Thanks for trying. I wonder if HP tech support can help.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
No. I'm sorry to say that in Vista it is absolutely nothing like the sound settings and pathways mentioned in your post. It goes as far as mmsys.cpl and that's about the end of the similarities. I honestly tried to follow along, navigating all over the sound section, but the settings are completely different. (I think XP and 98 were more similar with things like this.)There is no devmgmt.sys file in Vista.Thanks for trying. I wonder if HP tech support can help.
Well, I have Windows 7 which might be more similar with Vista but I have to get a chance to fire it up later on today to check.

One of the other guys could give you the 'Vista' version of my instructions so wait up on contacting HP just yet (unless it is under warranty/coverage).

Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 PM

I just wanted to update this thread. I figured out the problem was with ALL THREE of my recording devices and not my computer. I bought a better quality (or so I've heard) headset made by Plantronics off ebay and the sound from the mic is perfect. I hope this one lasts. The Logitech one, which I thought was a good quality headset was a complete disappointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers