U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,645,472 times

Advertisements

600 bucks for a gaming PC? and what settings can you have with it? video at the lowest? fps of 20??
task switching timed in minutes rather than seconds????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,664,736 times
If you are a true gamer pc builder, then you rarrly ever make it a thru a few months before you are upgrading something in your box. Gamer boxes are always a work in progress. And after a few years when you cant upgrade anymore, you replace and start over. True builders never look at the cost of doing it but at the satisfaction of knowing what exactly is in the pc and its limits. You dont get this from a BestBuy computer since you never know where the corners were cut to fit a certain price point. i've had numerous builds that went over $2G to satisfy my needs. But I've also purchased $300 pcs to fit basic needs. As to notebooks I purchase them at clearance pricing , use them for about 18 months, re-sell it on craigslist and buy another. Notebooks are purely disposable.

Quote:
Apples and oranges. I bought a Toyota pickup truck brand new in 1995 and it still takes me to work and back every day. Same with virtually every appliance in the home. You can use them until they break. A 20 year old TV will still let you watch the latest episode of Jersey Shore. A 20 year old washing machine will still wash your laundry. A 20 year old lawn mower will still cut the grass. However, a 20 year old computer, even if it is in perfect working condition, won't let you do much these days.
You're comparing mechanical items to a digital item. If we ever go to purly based in the clouds operating environment, then you wont need any more than a 20 year old computer (in theory, yea i know kb vs mb vs gb, cga/ega vs vga/hdmi) and a nic. There are people out there still working on W95. Think about the Hubble, how many years did it run on a 386 or 486 computer?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:19 AM

181 posts, read 268,704 times
I am not at true gamer. I play a few games that were made a couple of years ago, but I built the computer for word processing, game maker, and other things. I didn't build it for Crysis.

One note though, I am not done building the computer. Believe me, the integrated intel graphics are not there to stay, and neither is the one gig of RAM. But I am buying the parts as I have the money to do so. It will be finished one of these days.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Re: all the comments about my friends new $600 gaming PC.

I actually lied. It was only $440.

When I build a PC for someone I build it for them. My buddy plays Comand & Conquer: Kaines Wraith. That's his big game. He is currently running it on a 1.8 GHZ Celeron with 1 GB Ram and an 80 GB IDE hard drive. He does have a semi-decent PCI video card.
It's basically an old Dell workstation.

For $440 he will be getting:
- AMD 3GHZ Quad Core
- 4GB RAM
- 650W Power Supply
- 500 SATA GB Hard drive
- Blu-Ray disc drive
- Case
- Higher end CPU fan and Case fan

He will be re-using his Nvidia 5700 or something until he has the money to get a new one of those. That's where I was getting the $600 figure. Add $120-$150+ for a nice video card.

So, no, it is not the HIGHEST end gaming machine. But coming from what he had to this?!?! Tell me that won't be an ENORMOUS improvement. It will run anything out there TODAY and in the near future. For $440?!?!?

THAT is why you build.

//edit// I should also add I am giving him a legit copy of Vista for free //

If you spend $1,500 building a gaming PC then yes, I totally agree with the OP.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 AM

181 posts, read 268,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Re: all the comments about my friends new $600 gaming PC.

I actually lied. It was only $440.

When I build a PC for someone I build it for them. My buddy plays Comand & Conquer: Kaines Wraith. That's his big game. He is currently running it on a 1.8 GHZ Celeron with 1 GB Ram and an 80 GB IDE hard drive. He does have a semi-decent PCI video card.
It's basically an old Dell workstation.

- AMD 3GHZ Quad Core
- 4GB RAM
- 650W Power Supply
- 500 SATA GB Hard drive
- Blu-Ray disc drive
- Case

He will be re-using his Nvidia 5700 or something until he has the money to get a new one of those. That's where I was getting the $600 figure. Add $120-$150+ for a nice video card.

So, no, it is not the HIGHEST end gaming machine. But coming from what he had to this?!?! Tell me that won't be an ENORMOUS improvement. It will run anything out there TODAY and in the near future. For $440?!?!?

THAT is why you build.

If you spend $1,500 building a gaming PC then yes, I totally agree with the OP.
were do you get your components? Those are good prices. Would you mind posting links to the parts you bought?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,760,818 times
Quote:
- AMD 3GHZ Quad Core
- 4GB RAM
- 650W Power Supply
- 500 SATA GB Hard drive
- Blu-Ray disc drive
- Case
You bought a MoBo, right? I don't think that putting the cpu on top of the ram sticks at the bottom of the case is going to work. At least your computer won't overheat.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,661,742 times
Quote:
Free is more money than I'd ever want to spend for Vista.

Like AutoCAD, it seems that every other version of Windows is the decent one:
1.0 ... nice concept, but unworkable.
2.0 ... actually usable now.
3.0 ... ok.
3.1 ... good.
95 ... eek.
95 OSR 2 ... fine.
98 ... ok.
98 SE ... better.
ME ... bah.
XP ... much better.
Vista ... blech.
W7 ... nice.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:44 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,761,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Why even bother buying a good computer, or in my case, building a good computer? When you build it, it is top of the line. Awesome video card, plenty of RAM and HD, top of the line CPU, etc.... You look at the Best Buy ads, and smile and say "My computer is better than all of THAT".

6 months later, you see the Best Buy ad and their mainstream PC's are catching up to yours, but cost 1/3 of what you paid. You justify yourself by saying "Who needs that much RAM? At least mine still has a better video card than THAT."

1 year later, you see the Best Buy ad and their budget PC's can kick the butt of your custom built PC. You curl into fetal position and say to yourself "That can't be true. My computer is supposed to be better than THAT".
Computing eventually will move into what is called "cloud computing". Basically, all you need is a computer that can take a high definition video signal and play sound. All of the actual computing work will be done on some server somewhere and the video signal of it will be sent to you. No more needing to buy a new computer all of the time.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:
You bought a MoBo, right? I don't think that putting the cpu on top of the ram sticks at the bottom of the case is going to work. At least your computer won't overheat.
LOL, yes a mobo, too. Not an awesome one.

Shopped at Http://www.pricewatch.com

Main system was from Portatech:

Just one example:
PortaTech.com - Barebones w/ AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz

That includes a Phenom 3.4 GHZ. Add the upgraded power supply and 4 GB of DDR3 Ram and it's $430.

Not the exact one we bought. I tweaked a few things and added the Blu Ray drive for $60. Yes $60. Pricewatch rocks.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:12 PM

422 posts, read 651,953 times
Quote:
Why even bother buying a good computer, or in my case, building a good computer? When you build it, it is top of the line. Awesome video card, plenty of RAM and HD, top of the line CPU, etc.... You look at the Best Buy ads, and smile and say "My computer is better than all of THAT".

6 months later, you see the Best Buy ad and their mainstream PC's are catching up to yours, but cost 1/3 of what you paid. You justify yourself by saying "Who needs that much RAM? At least mine still has a better video card than THAT."

1 year later, you see the Best Buy ad and their budget PC's can kick the butt of your custom built PC. You curl into fetal position and say to yourself "That can't be true. My computer is supposed to be better than THAT".
Don't compare anything to what they sell at BBY. Consumer PCs are the thinnest, cheaply built products. remember that while the people that buy their $300 desktops at BBY are taking it back to the geeksquad counter 3 months later, yours is still working perfectly.

With that said, technology does change, and all technology works that way. What you buy now for $100, will be worth $50 (or less) in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers