U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM

4,430 posts, read 6,157,885 times

Advertisements

As the topic says, my xp desktop won't boot up. It will turn on (does that rule out the power supply?) and the XP screen comes up but you get the XP did not shut down properly message and asking if you want to start in normal or safe mode. After that, its a continuous rebooting over and over.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,220 times
Title of the thread is wrong, "Windows XP Will Not Load" or "Windows XP Restarts in a Loop" would be more accurate. Yes, this issue is not hardware related (at least not on the surface). Windows System Files are damaged so it seems.
Were you able to boot in Safe Mode or that didn't work either?
How about the 'Last Known Good Configuration' option?
Again, the important question here would be when was the last time this machine ran OK and what kind of change(s) occurred prior to this issue?

C'mon spill the beans so we can help!

Old 09-11-2010, 01:55 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
Boot from a WinXP CD into recovery console (hit R for repair when prompted) and run chkdsk on the C drive. With any luck, all you've got is one messed up file and fixing it will take care of the problem.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,535,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Boot from a WinXP CD into recovery console (hit R for repair when prompted) and run chkdsk on the C drive. With any luck, all you've got is one messed up file and fixing it will take care of the problem.
Or more specifically, when at the recovery console command prompt, type "chkdsk c: /r" (without the quotes). This assumes your XP installation is on the C: drive. It will probably take a while (possibly hours) but DO NOT INTERRUPT THE PROCESS.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Turco, sorry. That was accidentally left out. thanks for the catch. It won't go into safe mode. It just reboots over and over with the same screen appearing on it when doing all the options you suggested.

The last time, I used it was around July 4th or so. I don't use it as much since I have my laptop now so I powered it down for good. I used to leave it running constantly.

I don't have a winxp recovery disk. This pc has a partition on the hard drive for recovery.

I'm running Windows Recovery console now and I will report back in a few...Thanks

Ok: the blue screen says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damange to your computer.

Unmountable_boot_volume

technical information:

stop: 0x00000ed

Thats it. It won't do anything else. Let me restart again...

OK. Seems Recovery did its job. I restarted after the above info...took about 10 mins to bootup. It gets to the welcome screen and a prompt appears and says that explorer.exe can't run to do some missing .dll file. Clicked it off then it was just stuck on the desktop image. I did ctrl-alt-dlt which starts Windows Task manager. I typed explorer.exe and finally completely booted up.

Thanks for the help again.

Last edited by PKCorey; 09-11-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 03:07 PM

I am glad you got it back up and running but I would not rely on this image if I were you.
At this point the image (filesystem) integrity is compromised and its condition would only get worse going forward.
If you are planning on using this machine for a while, the I suggest you backup the critical data and do a fresh install from scratch.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I am glad you got it back up and running but I would not rely on this image if I were you.
At this point the image (filesystem) integrity is compromised and its condition would only get worse going forward.
If you are planning on using this machine for a while, the I suggest you backup the critical data and do a fresh install from scratch.
I agree. I'm heading to BJ's tomorrow for a 1 TB external hard drive since my 120 gb one is too full.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I agree. I'm heading to BJ's tomorrow for a 1 TB external hard drive since my 120 gb one is too full.
Full is Hard Drive no good.
My simple Hard Drive performance logic for the non-tech savvy:

Quote:
The total available HD space - % of used space = Performance
More space used the slower the HD/system will seem to run.

I don't know what BJ is, guessing it is a local store but consider taking a look at the site I have been shopping at since 1999:
Pricewatch - Price Comparison and Sales sorted by the lowest price - Shop Computer Hardware, Electronics, Clothing and a lot more

PS. Not too crazy about what the site turned into (way too bloated with stuff) and its layout but still a good start point to start shopping at for PC components.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers