U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,200,833 times

Advertisements

I just got back from vacation and tried to transfer the pictures I took from the Compact Flash Disk to folders in My Pictures. Windows Picture and Flash Viewer usually launches automatically when I plug the disk in to the card reader but nothing happens now. Anyone have any ideas why not? I can still view pictures from My Pictures with the Windows Viewer but it won't launch from the card reader. The pictures on the disk can be viewed on the camera so I know the disk is still OK. Could it be the card reader has gone bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 11:21 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
If you are using Windows XP, here is the quick and easy fix, see if it resolves the issue:

1. Insert the card reader/flash drive in USB as usual
2. Open 'My Computer'
3. Right-click on the drive and click on Properties (or hold down ALT key and double-click on the drive).
4. Click on the AutoPlay tab.
5. Select Pictures as the content type from the dropdown list.
6. Click on 'Select and action to perform'
7. Select the second option from the top which should be "View a slideshow of the images using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"

If that didn't help resolve the issue let us know, I can suggest more advanced things.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks, TurcoLoco, for responding. Unfortunately, this didn't work. When I got to #7, I selected the option you cite and clicked "Apply" and "OK", then the window just disappeared. I tried by clicking just "OK" and the same thing happened. The window disappeared.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:29 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
It did what is was supposed to do. The steps were to set up how the computer reacts when you insert a chip in the reader.

"The drive" in #3 Turcoloco refers to is the USB drive, You did the process on that one, correct? Just checkin'!!

After doing that and inserting the chip nothing changes?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It did what is was supposed to do. The steps were to set up how the computer reacts when you insert a chip in the reader.

"The drive" in #3 Turcoloco refers to is the USB drive, You did the process on that one, correct? Just checkin'!!

After doing that and inserting the chip nothing changes?
This is what I see when I open "My Computer":

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/mycomputer.jpg (broken link)

I right clicked on the E Drive and followed the steps from this window, which is what opened:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/edisk.jpg (broken link)

I clicked "Apply" and "OK", and this window disappears. Than I tried to open the card from the card reader....nothing happened. Tried again clicking just "OK"....again the viewer does not open.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 PM

I am thinking either
a) The Autorun functionality of this (or any) external drive is disabled.
and/or
b) Windows Picture and Fax Viewer was either unregistered (inactive) or damaged/missing.

First things first, lets check to see if it is still configured to be handling image previews as it is by default:

1. Click Start
2. Run
3. Type regedit
4. Click OK
5. Browse to this location by expanding the given keys:
- HKEY CLASSES ROOT
- SystemFileAssociations
-ShellEx
- ContextMenuHandlers
- ShellImagePreview
6. When you click on "ShellImagePreview" on the left hand side you should see an entry value called 'Default', its data should read:
{e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}

If it is different or missing then it needs to be created. You can download , extract and merge the registry file in the attached zip file to make this step easier or manually create the String value.

7. Next make sure "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" is still registered and active:
7.1. Click Start
7.2. Run
7.3. Type regsvr32 shimgvw.dll or regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
7.4. OK

You should get a pop up informing you that the registration of 2 related components 'succeeded'.

8. TweakUI (arguably the best free Windows Tweaking tool for novice users):
Download the version applicable to your system from this link. The download links are on the far right, half way down. There are two versions, the one you want is 147KB in size (top one).

9. After installing it, run it:

Browse to this location first and make sure the box next to the Flash drive in question is checked:

10. Afterwards, click Apply and then move on to the next section "Types" and make sure "Enable Autoplay for removable drives" is checked:

11. Clicking "OK" to save and exit.

Tips:
If the box is checked, that means that option is selected (active), if the box next to an option is unchecked (clear), then that option is disabled.
Clicking OK to exit in TweakUI automatically applies all changes made in the current session. If you made some changes and didn't click 'Apply', then clicking 'Cancel' will discard all changes and exit.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ShellImagePreview.zip (365 Bytes, 40 views)

Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Well, well, well.......I had to reboot the computer today and after the reboot, the Picture and Fax Viewer kicked in to take care of the pictures on the card. Never thought that something as simple as a reboot would take care of the problem.

Thanks, Turco and TekFreek, for your advice. Much appreciated.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:21 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Well, well, well.......I had to reboot the computer today
Ah, yes. The old, "I never reboot my computer. Why is it so screwed up?" scenario.

One of my all time favorites.

Reboot your PC at least once a week whether you think it needs it or not.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 PM

We need a seppuku smiley!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Ah, yes. The old, "I never reboot my computer. Why is it so screwed up?" scenario.

One of my all time favorites.

Reboot your PC at least once a week whether you think it needs it or not.
I got back from vacation on Sept. 10. My computer was "rebooted" when I turned it on that same day. The first thing I did was try and retrieve my pictures from the card--without success. I posted the query shortly afterward. So, your comment inferring my computer had not been rebooted for awhile is misplaced.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 09-13-2010 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers