Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 11:32 PM

122 posts, read 210,973 times

Advertisements

I was browsing through my computer, and under Local Disk C: program data, I came across several temporary files starting with SPL. I googled SPL1E2A.TMP, and google could not find anything about it. I tried to open it, but Windows could not open it, and refer me to find a program on the Internet to do it.

Is it safe to delete temporary files from Local Disk C ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
It should be safe to delete a temp file hence the .TMP extension.
See if you can delete one to the Recycle Bin.

If you can delete it that means it was created but no longer used/needed.
If you can't delete it then the program that created it is still running in the background and using it.
No temp files should normally be created at the root of the C drive so I would consider one other possibility: your system is infected.

If you are unable to delete it due to file being used or some sharing violation, download the freebie called Unlocker to see what process/program is locking (using) it.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
It should be safe to delete a temp file hence the .TMP extension.
See if you can delete one to the Recycle Bin.

If you can delete it that means it was created but no longer used/needed.
If you can't delete it then the program that created it is still running in the background and using it.
No temp files should normally be created at the root of the C drive so I would consider one other possibility: your system is infected.

If you are unable to delete it due to file being used or some sharing violation, download the freebie called Unlocker to see what process/program is locking (using) it.
It was written using non standard nomenclature, but I think the file(s) are in the programs directory.

OP, try Ccleaner to remove temp files, etc. Click on the link at the top right corner of the page in my link and wait for the gray box to open for the download.

Pay attention to what's being removed on the menu to the left when you open the program.

Search this forum for Ccleaner and you should find some explanations of what to keep/delete depending on your preferences. Possibly written by me.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:55 PM

422 posts, read 792,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It was written using non standard nomenclature, but I think the file(s) are in the programs directory.

OP, try Ccleaner to remove temp files, etc. Click on the link at the top right corner of the page in my link and wait for the gray box to open for the download.

Pay attention to what's being removed on the menu to the left when you open the program.

Search this forum for Ccleaner and you should find some explanations of what to keep/delete depending on your preferences. Possibly written by me.
Definitely use ccleaner. Its the best and fastest at removing everything temporary. Windows has a built in disk cleaner, but it's not nearly as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers