U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
This is absolutely incorrect. Did you click the link I posted? The unit has its own tuner and has absolutely no need for a TV or human interaction. Just plug it in, and everything is done over the web. regardless of what it was made for, one can use it for whatever he wants.
Ahh, didn't know they had one with a built in tuner, but still in some areas that's useless, if you have satellite you must use a sat box, and in many areas you have to have a cable box to get all but basic local channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 PM

422 posts, read 652,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ahh, didn't know they had one with a built in tuner, but still in some areas that's useless, if you have satellite you must use a sat box, and in many areas you have to have a cable box to get all but basic local channels.
True, comcast is going like that in my area. Even for basic cable, everyone has to have these boxes. They are terrible and very slow at changing channels.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,909,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
True, but if you have an HD TV and an HDMI connection on your PC (or VGA on the TV - we have both) you can watch it on HD TV through your PC, or as in our case, a laptop.
What sort of cable do I need? I have an hd tv with monitor capabilities. Decided to do the month free tryout on netflix and found lots of goodies.

My laptop needs to be listened to thru headphones. The sound is good but not very loud. Gets old after a while

Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 AM

7,774 posts, read 13,226,987 times
Full Episodes - Watch TV Shows and Movies Free . You can watch new movies ( a friend was watching Lottery Ticket last night), full episodes of TV shows.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:40 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,495,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I have Dish Network and am getting increasingly annyoyed by it. The channels I want to watch, the siblings of History and Discovery, would cost me an additional sum to subscribe to. I'm finding that I'm bored with the ones I get and rarely turn it on.

I've checked stuff like Hulu and it doesn't have the content that interests me either. And the networks I'm looking at don't show stuff online.

I've read about streaming video setups where you can get a big selection of channels including all the major cable ones and did a search. I came up three sites reccomended by a site which claims to have tested them and found them good and not scams.

The list is here:

The Top 3 Internet TV for PC Systems

The sites won't tell you anything about their channel lineup without paying for the software. I'd be willing to see with the prices but am still syspicious about virus and other problems.

Has anyone had experience with this or somewhere reliable info can be found? Getting frustrated here...
Those "Watch TV on your PC" applications that require a purchase (they've been popular with spammers lately - anyone else notice that?) are pure scams. Stay away from them. All that content is available for free, and the wrapper applications you "buy" are generally complete junk, with outdated "channel" lists, and LOTS of foreign/non-english content.

While researching those things for a friend who was thinking of dropping $50 on one, I came across Miro. It's pretty much the same thing as those apps, but not chock-full of bugs, and it's free. I've used it a little, and it's a pretty slick app.

Other than that, all I'd recommend is keeping what you have, switching to your local cable provider, or dropping the paid stuff altogether and watching only OTA broadcast stuff, if that's an option in your area.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,589,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
What sort of cable do I need? I have an hd tv with monitor capabilities. Decided to do the month free tryout on netflix and found lots of goodies.

My laptop needs to be listened to thru headphones. The sound is good but not very loud. Gets old after a while
Check what kind of inputs your TV has and what kind output your computer has. Most likely your laptop has a VGA out, but you could be lucky and have something else, maybe HDMI or something else.

The headphone jack can be connected to an audio input on the TV.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 AM

5 posts, read 8,143 times
You can view your channel or program on utube, just name the program on the utube and search you will see the resu, but u should install the antivirus in your system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers