U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2010, 03:09 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,547 posts, read 17,916,448 times
Reputation: 16806

Advertisements

I have Dish Network and am getting increasingly annyoyed by it. The channels I want to watch, the siblings of History and Discovery, would cost me an additional sum to subscribe to. I'm finding that I'm bored with the ones I get and rarely turn it on.

I've checked stuff like Hulu and it doesn't have the content that interests me either. And the networks I'm looking at don't show stuff online.

I've read about streaming video setups where you can get a big selection of channels including all the major cable ones and did a search. I came up three sites reccomended by a site which claims to have tested them and found them good and not scams.

The list is here:

The Top 3 Internet TV for PC Systems

The sites won't tell you anything about their channel lineup without paying for the software. I'd be willing to see with the prices but am still syspicious about virus and other problems.

Has anyone had experience with this or somewhere reliable info can be found? Getting frustrated here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2010, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Cedar Park/NW Austin
1,307 posts, read 2,695,287 times
Reputation: 876
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Just take any of the service names and add scam to the end of it in a Google search. All sorts of sites will pop up. Don't waste your money on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 17,981,945 times
Reputation: 7193
Did you miss that you can only watch on your.......computer?

TV & the net are coming together fast but it ain't there yet!

Your best bet it streaming Netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 02:18 PM
 
28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Reputation: 37346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Did you miss that you can only watch on your.......computer?

TV & the net are coming together fast but it ain't there yet!

Your best bet it streaming Netflix.
True, but if you have an HD TV and an HDMI connection on your PC (or VGA on the TV - we have both) you can watch it on HD TV through your PC, or as in our case, a laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 02:26 PM
 
422 posts, read 652,723 times
Reputation: 143
Do you have a friend or relative in another city that has cable and the channels you like?

Just buy a slingbox, and it will stream the TV from their location to your PC. You can change channels on your PC, as if it were a real TV. Amazon.com: Sling Media Slingbox PRO-HD SB300-100: Electronics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 PM
 
10,756 posts, read 18,017,874 times
Reputation: 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Do you have a friend or relative in another city that has cable and the channels you like?

Just buy a slingbox, and it will stream the TV from their location to your PC. You can change channels on your PC, as if it were a real TV. Amazon.com: Sling Media Slingbox PRO-HD SB300-100: Electronics
Not a viable solution in this case, when the people that are actually paying for the cable change the channel, the channel gets changed on the internet stream as well. The purpose of a slingbox is to allow you to watch YOUR cable TV from a different location, not to steal someone elses cable TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
3,685 posts, read 8,501,502 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not a viable solution in this case, when the people that are actually paying for the cable change the channel, the channel gets changed on the internet stream as well. The purpose of a slingbox is to allow you to watch YOUR cable TV from a different location, not to steal someone elses cable TV.
Well, if you have a generous relative/friend, who doesn't mind paying the extra $5-12/month charge for another cable/satellite receiver dedicated to the Slingbox, and who doesn't mind giving up a megabit or two of their upstream bandwidth, this could work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 04:04 PM
 
10,756 posts, read 18,017,874 times
Reputation: 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Well, if you have a generous relative/friend, who doesn't mind paying the extra $5-12/month charge for another cable/satellite receiver dedicated to the Slingbox, and who doesn't mind giving up a megabit or two of their upstream bandwidth, this could work.
Yeah, personally I wouldn't pay extra for someone else to have free cable, prices are high enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,547 posts, read 17,916,448 times
Reputation: 16806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
True, but if you have an HD TV and an HDMI connection on your PC (or VGA on the TV - we have both) you can watch it on HD TV through your PC, or as in our case, a laptop.
I have several friends who do that. I have an hd screen on my laptop as well. It wouldn't be a problem.

Problem is unless I can find the shows I want I might as well keep Dish. Its the best price of available options and best service in the area. The local cable system is stuck in the 70's and not worth it except for their internet service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 07:50 PM
 
422 posts, read 652,723 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not a viable solution in this case, when the people that are actually paying for the cable change the channel, the channel gets changed on the internet stream as well. The purpose of a slingbox is to allow you to watch YOUR cable TV from a different location, not to steal someone elses cable TV.
This is absolutely incorrect. Did you click the link I posted? The unit has its own tuner and has absolutely no need for a TV or human interaction. Just plug it in, and everything is done over the web. regardless of what it was made for, one can use it for whatever he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:41 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top