U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,227,167 times

Advertisements

As a former avid PC gamer, I was much saddened by steep decline in PC gaming after the release of Crysis in 2007. The reality that PC games were becoming so hardware intensive that only people with very expensive gaming rigs could play them combined with recession and the trend for PC developers to let gameplay and environment take a back seat to graphics nearly killed the PC as a gaming platform as the last decade came to a close. Now, after a 2-3 year dark age for PC gaming, there finally is some light on the horizon with more titles being announced for PC and major companies (id Software, Epic) who threw PC under the bus a few years ago reaffirming their commitment to the PC as a gaming platform.

I think its possible we might see a resurgence of the PC as a gaming platform in the next year or two. Over the past 3 years, PC technology has advanced but games have lagged due to developers focusing on consoles and then porting to PC as an afterthought. This means gone (for now) are the days of having to spend $2000+ per year on a gaming rig to play the latest games. With the inherent superiority of the PC platform to consoles...and the fact that the current generation of consoles is aging rapidly and the next gen has yet to be announced...the PC could get another chance to shine. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:46 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
1. WoW (which I've actually never played)
2. SC2
3. Diablo 3

Now that we have that out of the way, I am also saddened by the decline in focus on PC games. Hardcore FPS gamers stick to PC because they suck without a keyboard and mouse. RTS games have had difficulty moving to consoles as well. Now, console developers have done a great job at making games that work well with controllers. And Wii-style gaming is now available on all 3 major consoles and that is something that PCs truly lag in.

There's no shortage of PC titles to be honest. And there's no shortage of hardware innovation on the PC either. What the gaming industry has realized is that brute force improvement in visual detail maintains market penetration but creates no market development. The addition of wii-style active gaming as brought a huge number of newer gamers into the market. There's no way that game developers are going to be able to convince non-technical consumers to start buying $2000 hardware when they can have just as much fun on a $200 console.

I miss PC games. My parents play my Wii more than I do.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:51 AM

31,083 posts, read 34,150,712 times
Come back? Where did it go? I've got 6 guys playing League of Legends in the other room right now!! Our game systems don't get as much play as they used to though.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Come back? Where did it go? I've got 6 guys playing League of Legends in the other room right now!! Our game systems don't get as much play as they used to though.
I think he means that the game developers are putting more resources in console games and less in PC games.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:14 AM

5,814 posts, read 8,544,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
1. WoW (which I've actually never played)
2. SC2
3. Diablo 3

Yes, Yes, and Yes - Blizzard. The company alone keeps PC gaming mainstream. Forget how many small releases and great games are available on Steam.

I don't understand the OP's point frankly... Midnight lines for SC2 just recently - WoW Cataclysm releasing in November and sure to be a huge hit. With sites like Newegg I put together my latest gaming rig for under $500 (reused my monitor) and play WoW on max settings. Thinking you need to buy into marketing like Alienware is silly.

PC gaming is and has always been THE platform for real gamers. I don't think that's changed at all.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 AM

10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
PC gaming is and has always been THE platform for real gamers. I don't think that's changed at all.
Agreed, there is no come back that needs to be made as it never faded. I never have a problem finding quality titles.

Take for example Left 4 Dead (the original), all those xbox and PSP fanatics have probably long since tired of that 2 year old title. Me? I still play it multiple times a week, what keeps it a great game is all the additional maps that are available for PC users, I have I'd guess probably 20 or so installed. If i was stuck with the original 5 maps like console gamers are I would have stopped playing it a while ago, but loading a new map and running through it with 3 friends for the first time is a blast, and some of the user created maps are better than the originals.

Another thing as was mentioned is the use of the keyboard & mouse, almost every key on the keyboard is in use, and mapped to my liking. I have a layout that I use for every FPS that I've been using since Doom, can't do that on a console.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,559,765 times
Two exciting titles coming out in MOH and CODBO, well see what they do to help bring it back.
I didnt buy MW2 because there was no dedi options for the servers, it seems they wanted to take PC gaming the same boring route as Console gaming but luckily they went back with CODBO.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Yes, Yes, and Yes - Blizzard. The company alone keeps PC gaming mainstream. Forget how many small releases and great games are available on Steam.

I don't understand the OP's point frankly... Midnight lines for SC2 just recently - WoW Cataclysm releasing in November and sure to be a huge hit. With sites like Newegg I put together my latest gaming rig for under $500 (reused my monitor) and play WoW on max settings. Thinking you need to buy into marketing like Alienware is silly.

WoW is six years old, going on seven. It no longer counts as evidence that PC gaming is still going strong, regardless of how many expansions are released. What the PC needs is NEW titles that are either PC exclusive or have clear advantages over the console versions. That will drive people back to PC. Its been a long, long time since the PC has had a title that drove people in masses out to buy new PCs. 2004 was the last time I can remember this happening, with Doom 3, Half life 2, WoW, etc. Crysis attempted to pull it off but piracy, very steep system requirements, and the fact that underneath the graphics the game was rather mediocre caused it to be a huge contributing factor to the PC's decline rather than a savior as intended.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM

11,832 posts, read 13,971,314 times
I have to agree that PC gaming hasn't died. It is fading a bit but it is not dead. People have been predicting the end of PC gaming since the Sega Genesis.
BChris: I don't think any game ever drove PC sales. Maybe WoW to a tiny tiny degree but I don't recall any game ever getting people to run out and get a PC to play it.
As long as developers allow user created content to be shared and distributed, the PC will continue to have that very large advantage over consoles.

/Speaking as a former PC gamer turned PS3 player. I was like many of you. Use a joystick and not a keyboard/mouse? No way.
/me sings a new tune now.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have to agree that PC gaming hasn't died. It is fading a bit but it is not dead. People have been predicting the end of PC gaming since the Sega Genesis.
BChris: I don't think any game ever drove PC sales. Maybe WoW to a tiny tiny degree but I don't recall any game ever getting people to run out and get a PC to play it.
As long as developers allow user created content to be shared and distributed, the PC will continue to have that very large advantage over consoles.

/Speaking as a former PC gamer turned PS3 player. I was like many of you. Use a joystick and not a keyboard/mouse? No way.
/me sings a new tune now.
It doesn't usually happen but there have been a few landmark titles in PC gaming history that have sparked a wave of interest in PCs. In 2004, Doom 3, Half Life 2, and World of Warcraft were the big ones. In 2006 "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" was big enough to spark a wave in tech upgrades. Battlefield 2 and FEAR assisted in that. Lastly, in 2007, came Crysis. When people spent a ton of money to build a high end system in anticipation of Crysis only to find that the best tech at the time could only play it on medium settings, more and more people decided that they had enough, and jumped ship to consoles. Then the recession hit which made consoles look even more attractive over PCs. I do think the tide is starting to turn. PC gaming does have its ups and downs, and sometimes seems like its going the way of the dinosaur, but it always bounces back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers