U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 AM

1,955 posts, read 9,666,385 times

Advertisements

Sorry - it's just me being cynical. I've dealt with IT folks who have done just that so they keep busy, so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:08 PM

5,795 posts, read 3,462,761 times
It takes a lot of salespeople who work for the advertisement industry to convince people that Windows Vista or Windows 7 is way better than Windows XP. We see Windows 7's popularity is starting to increase due to it's silly commercials it produced. (Remember the college student who got thrown out of his dorm and he had his laptop with him)?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
We see Windows 7's popularity is starting to increase due to it's silly commercials it produced. (Remember the college student who got thrown out of his dorm and he had his laptop with him)?
That is why I did away with watching TV a decade ago, don't miss it and frankly, do not even have time for it. There is enough brainwashing going around as is, don't really need TV commercials on top of it.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:04 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,270,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Won't the current policy of downgrading new machines to XP cost more in the long run when businesses finally do make the jump to 7 (or 8)? Seems to me the most economical thing to do would be to slowly upgrade as machines are replaced.
It creates a support nightmare, big companies like to have as few platforms to support as possible, referring to hardware, OS, and applications. The quickest way to 'repair' any OS issue, is to re-image the workstation over the network, which can usually be done in less than an hour. Often faster than someone from the IT gang can even get to the failing unit.

Big vendors like Dell will "image" your machines with the OS and applications of your choice, in fact they will send you a unit, which you build the OS and applications exactly how you want it, then upload the "image" to them for the build. Or they will also sell you workstations without any OS installed. So there is no 'downgrade' by blowing away the installed OS, which today would be 7.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:13 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,306,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

I can't say for sure since 7 has a smaller footprint than Vista, but I'm betting machines still run faster with XP (esp if pushed to extremes) and take up less space. Course with HDs getting silly big that might not matter much either. Bottom line for me is if someone can't show me what a new version buys me, I'll pass.
I don't know that this applies to everyone who upgrades, but my home computer actually runs faster w/ windows 7 than it did w/ XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02
How long do you think the average user should cling to XP? 2015? 2020? 2030? Beyond?

Reality check: Technology changes. Yes, there will probably be specialized computers in business environments that run it for another 10-20 years because their software won't run on anything else...much like some businesses still have machines running DOS or NT4 for this purpose, but IT departments in general will probably move on from XP sometime within the next five years at the latest. Whether thats sooner or later depends on what Windows 8 brings to the table.
I used to work for a forbes 500 corporation that still uses NT 3.5 to this day on many of their computers. you stick with the software as long as it does what's needed. i wonder though what issues they could be facing soon with hardware replacement? i suppose the same will be said for XP one day.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:47 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,375,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
I don't know that this applies to everyone who upgrades, but my home computer actually runs faster w/ windows 7 than it did w/ XP.
Really? Interesting......

Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,313,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Really? Interesting......
Well, yes. That has been my experience. I have installed Windows 7 on several older computers. One was a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz machine w/4GB RAM and a 64 MB video card. Windows 7 starts up and shuts down faster than Windows XP, and seems to open and close applications faster, too. I wouldn't try to make it work on a machine with less than 2 GB RAM, though.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:55 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,741,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, yes. That has been my experience. I have installed Windows 7 on several older computers. One was a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz machine w/4GB RAM and a 64 MB video card. Windows 7 starts up and shuts down faster than Windows XP, and seems to open and close applications faster, too. I wouldn't try to make it work on a machine with less than 2 GB RAM, though.
I've always wondered what sucked up all of those resources. Win2k will boot and run ok on a 64MB box ... I'm running a little Abyss web server at home on such a machine.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:07 PM

11,734 posts, read 11,313,240 times
By the time SP4 was out, Win2K really needed 256 MB to run well. I was shat you wrote, but I've seen XP run on a machine with 128 MB of RAM. Not a pretty sight.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 PM

14,781 posts, read 36,588,956 times
I think a large part of the sluggish change over is that there is no reason to change unless you need to take advantage of the 64 bit operating system. Among power users and gamers they switched real quick so that they could get the most out of their rigs. For anyone else, XP era computers generally perform all the needed tasks just as efficiently (or at least efficiently enough) as a newer machine would.

At the end of the day, I think the delay is that software has simply not caught up to hardware. About a decade ago software was continuously pushing the envelope and it kept forcing people to upgrade. Now I think hardware speeds and development have outstripped software development. My kids PC at home isn't anywhere near the fastest PC in the world (it was my old system I built about 2 1/2 years ago), but it still runs the vast majority of applications just fine.

When applications are developed that people want to use and those applications require the greater power available with a 64 bit system, then I think you will start to see a larger migration to 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers