U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,645,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The Feds are starting to work on moving to Windows 7 and Office 2010
The feds also have tons of money to squander. I don't want to hear about all the neat features Win7 brings to the table that WinXP didn't. How many of these new features are going to be used by the user?

Someone said it before me here: If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I used to work for the gov't and would hear the scare words:
~"but Microsoft won't support the OS anymore"

>My response? How many times have we had to contact Microsoft tech >support to fix a problem over the past three years? None, right?

~ "and there will be no more updates/hotfixes" to XP

>Hey, how about we teach our users what the most common security breaches are with XP? Cause as sure as the sun rises there will be just as many security problems with Win7...

For example, lets teach the XP staff:
Not to open mail that has a subject line of "I Love You"..... or open mail they have no clue who sent it.
Let's remove the floppy and CD drives from the users systems, all they are used for is music and pictures they bring in from home.

If XP still does the job and the shop has no outstanding issues with it so what if it expires.......

The US still has a limitless pig trough of money available to the fed departments, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 AM

4,581 posts, read 8,190,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The feds also have tons of money to squander. I don't want to hear about all the neat features Win7 brings to the table that WinXP didn't. How many of these new features are going to be used by the user?

>My response? How many times have we had to contact Microsoft tech >support to fix a problem over the past three years? None, right?

>Hey, how about we teach our users what the most common security breaches are with XP? Cause as sure as the sun rises there will be just as many security problems with Win7...

Not to open mail that has a subject line of "I Love You"..... or open mail they have no clue who sent it.
Let's remove the floppy and CD drives from the users systems, all they are used for is music and pictures they bring in from home.

If XP still does the job and the shop has no outstanding issues with it so what if it expires.......

The US still has a limitless pig trough of money available to the fed departments, right?
The reasoning above are extremely ignorant and shortsighted. lack of support/end of life is one primary reason to consider upgrading. Support isn't just "technical support". It's version updates, security patches, fixes; as well as the ability to actually run any new software you may need for your business.

And training your users (while extremely important) as a mitigation to running unsupported software is like telling people to simply dry their hair when they come out of the shower to prevent the flu.

Yes - the Fed is usually a lot less financially strapped (and even if they are, many vendors will discount the service/product if it means they can market the results). But at the very least - if a business decides to not upgrade, they should have at least done the cost/benefit analysis and know the risks (and consciously accept them) instead of just blindly ignoring them.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:25 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
I've been away while my wife gave birth to my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No Amicus or Timeslips?
Timeslips. Which runs perfectly fine on our current systems.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM

11,707 posts, read 11,299,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Congratulations!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 AM

2,424 posts, read 1,922,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

I agree, some people just have to have the latest bells and whistles. XP works fine for me.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:34 AM

34,276 posts, read 59,597,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Congratulations!

Ditto!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Thanks guys!!
Mom and baby doing well.

Let's talk about the other option I have to upgrade my 45 computers to Win7.
If I just replace all my workstations. Let's say we get basic desktop PC's with Win7 Business.

$600 x 45 = $27,000.
And that includes reinstalling Office 2003 that we currently own on them all.
Add Office 2010 at $300/each (and that's on the low end) that's another $13,500.

$40,000? Really? That's a large expense for a small business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers