U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 PM
 
123 posts, read 183,466 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

Does anyone has a formula for re-creating the hibernation option in my Vista pc? I did a complete factory backup, and it has disappear.

I have googled it and it tells me to use command prompt, run as administrator, and type in "powercfg/ hibernation.on" but no matter what I have tried, has not brought it back. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2010, 07:28 AM
 
10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Reputation: 10244
First, what exactly is a factory backup?
second, the command you used isn't correct, it should be powercfg -h on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Augusta, Maine
181 posts, read 268,704 times
Reputation: 113
I do not exactly know how it works in vista, but usually you would need to go into properties, screen saver, then click the thing that says "power" then go to the hibernation tab and click (or check mark) "enable hibernation. By default it is off, so when you did the factory restore, it got turned off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 07:33 PM
 
123 posts, read 183,466 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuilder View Post
I do not exactly know how it works in vista, but usually you would need to go into properties, screen saver, then click the thing that says "power" then go to the hibernation tab and click (or check mark) "enable hibernation. By default it is off, so when you did the factory restore, it got turned off.
I went to the Control Panel, found Hibernation button, and turned it on, but it did not go on. I also clicked on the Default Buttons.

I also went into the Command Prompt, entered Powercfg -h on, but the Command is not accepting it. Now What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 07:36 PM
 
123 posts, read 183,466 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
First, what exactly is a factory backup?
second, the command you used isn't correct, it should be powercfg -h on
What I did was I restored the computer to its original state, through a disk that came with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 PM
 
10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
What I did was I restored the computer to its original state, through a disk that came with it.
Ahh, ok, a factory recovery or restore is the accepted term, a backup implies you made a copy or image of your current installation.

Odd that the command line doesn't work, I've used it before on Server 08 boxes with success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM
 
123 posts, read 183,466 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ahh, ok, a factory recovery or restore is the accepted term, a backup implies you made a copy or image of your current installation.

Odd that the command line doesn't work, I've used it before on Server 08 boxes with success.
Is there another way to get it? thank,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top