U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:15 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,016,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I haven't bought anything at Best Buy since 2005, not only are their prices not the "best" but they also haggle over fixing items that they have warrantied. I'd highly recommend not buying any of their extended warranties.

I spent about 2 hours arguing with a Best Buy about my broken plasma TV. As soon as I would convince 1 person they need to replace it, they would go fetch another person until the counter was myself + wife vs. 6 employees. I did finally get a replacement but I swore to never buy from them again.

Fry's is so much better at everything, I really do wish Fry's would go mainstream across the country and destroy Best Buy. However, I do believe these super electronic stores will be obsolete in about 5-10 years.
Fry's warranty service is just stupidly bad when it comes to laptops.

If you buy a laptop, get the extended warranty through the manufacturer. Both Dell and HP have FANTASTIC warranty service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,668,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Fry's is so much better at everything, ...
No they're not. Besides, why else would it be joked around that their name actually stands for (F)requently (R)eturning (Y)our (S)h ...

Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,332,510 times
Fry's sales stuff are great. I got my printer, hd, and external hd there for cheap. I always check the Fridays paper for Fry's ads. Too bad there is only one of them in Chicago, 3 in Houston.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,350,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
No they're not. Besides, why else would it be joked around that their name actually stands for (F)requently (R)eturning (Y)our (S)h ...
I finally said "ENOUGH!" to Fry's when I bought a hard drive on sale and after 4 bad ones, had to buy a non-sale one for $20 more to get one that worked. You can always tell what's been on sale over the weekend by seeing what everyone's holding in the return line Monday morning. I swear their sales are nothing more than an outlet for dumping marginally functioning product.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,376,620 times
Too funny to hear people rant about how bad BB sucks when supposedly they were so great they put Circuit City out of business.

I'm about as neutral on them as I was about CC. As with CC, I found their prices competitive to varying degrees, their selection fair but focused far too much on TV, CDs/DVDs and "accessories" vs more PC and stereo stuff (although let's face it, few people care about or even have a clue about the latter any more), and their service usually a joke.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,332,510 times
CC went down the drain when they got cheap on their employees. BB is now cheap on their employees too.

I got a bad telephone from Fry's but it wasn't a sale item. All of my Fry's on sale items were good. I recently went to Fry's for their $129 AMD Phenom 965 but they were all "open box."

Now BB has no serious competition and they can raise prices on us. I just bought the best deal for 32gb Kingston Class 6 SDHC's from ebay for $13.44 each. From BB's website - PNY SDHC 4gb class 2 - $19.99!

I'd only buy a laptop straight from the manufacturer, so I'd get a Dell from Dell. But I currently like Toshiba laptops but Toshiba has terrible warranty service.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,573,665 times
I'm pretty neutral on BB. I don't buy any big ticket items from them. Mainly use them as a source for smaller items when I don't feel like waiting for shipping when buying online.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,350,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I'm pretty neutral on BB. I don't buy any big ticket items from them. Mainly use them as a source for smaller items when I don't feel like waiting for shipping when buying online.
This. As far as I'm concerned, ALL retail is a convenience store. You know you're overpaying but if you have to have it today, you pay it. If you have any choice at all, Amazon or Newegg it.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:17 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,376,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
CC went down the drain when they got cheap on their employees.
Nope. They were well on their way down the drain long before that. FNANB and Carmax were just propping them up.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 PM

44,019 posts, read 53,868,377 times
When has Best Buy ever been anything but a bunch of incompetent charlatans whose favorite pastime is jerking you around? God, it makes me mad to even think about them...if BB had balls, I'd kick 'em there every chance I got.

What's even more hilarious is that I gave them a chance again recently after hating their guts for the last 5 years...and they did not waste the opportunity to f*** up a gain. Lovely. Doesn't matter which one I pick, either. The ineptitude is company-wide.

I don't know anything about Circuit City and their employees or whatever, but at least they stood behind what they said, they actually understood the product they were selling (including such obscure facts as 'what's included in the box'), and they were easy with returns and problems. Part of my soul died when they went out of business. Thank god for Overstock.com and my old standby, amazon.

I guess all I really lost was the ability to impulse buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers