U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 PM

9,356 posts, read 16,142,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
No they're not. Besides, why else would it be joked around that their name actually stands for (F)requently (R)eturning (Y)our (S)h ...
Well it is very easy to return something at Fry's in my experience, but I will admit I have not had to return a computer there.

I was speaking more about their staff, those people generally know what they are doing and their prices are competitive...AND they don't try to sell you a protection plan on every item you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,350,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well it is very easy to return something at Fry's in my experience, but I will admit I have not had to return a computer there.

I was speaking more about their staff, those people generally know what they are doing and their prices are competitive...AND they don't try to sell you a protection plan on every item you buy.
Fry's? Really? All the employees I've ever dealt with there have about as much computer knowledge as a peanut.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:12 AM

1,955 posts, read 9,668,491 times
Quote:
I'll vouch that their prices are competitive ... but a knowledgeable staff? Not in the stores down here. If they knew anything, they'd be working somewhere else already. If they lasted longer than a month, they're senior position now. No additional pay - just that they've lasted longer than most employees there. For perspectives, when I was going to college, a classmate quit after 3 days; he found out Walmart paid more and went there instead.

As for extended warranty pitches ... lots. Ditto with the credit card. And the associates will regularly fight over writing up every item in your cart so they could get a commission cut for having "helped you." Computer dept.? Let me write that up for you. Then you're off to A/V ... oh, let me write up everything for you. "But they already wrote me up." "OK, then let me just add it onto the list, then." ... when they're really rewriting up so they get the commission cut now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Fry's? Really? All the employees I've ever dealt with there have about as much computer knowledge as a peanut.
Don't be insulting! I've received better advice from a peanut before!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,918,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I'm pretty neutral on BB. I don't buy any big ticket items from them. Mainly use them as a source for smaller items when I don't feel like waiting for shipping when buying online.
This is exactly the wrong strategy for BB. Small stuff is what is most likely to be overpriced at BB. I would buy a big TV from BB because they compete on that business with everyone else who advertises.

I once needed a Serial ATA cable for my mom's computer. BB wanted $18 for it. $3 from Newegg.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,350,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
This is exactly the wrong strategy for BB. Small stuff is what is most likely to be overpriced at BB. I would buy a big TV from BB because they compete on that business with everyone else who advertises.

I once needed a Serial ATA cable for my mom's computer. BB wanted $18 for it. $3 from Newegg.
BB is still overpriced on TVs. I'm shopping right now and they're easily $100 more than Amazon on an $800 unit. And Amazon has free shipping and no tax.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 AM

44,019 posts, read 53,868,377 times
Quote:
BB is still overpriced on TVs. I'm shopping right now and they're easily $100 more than Amazon on an $800 unit. And Amazon has free shipping and no tax.
I paid $2300 for a tv on amazon (that included delivery and 'white glove' set-up) that would have cost me $3000 at Best Buy (and I would have had to figure out a way to get it home and lift it myself).

Old 09-25-2010, 11:30 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,229,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Best Buy used to be a place with cheap prices. Not lately. Recently I was looking for SDHC cards and I found good prices at a MicroCenter and TigerDirect store in Chicago. Then when I checked out Best Buy they had outrageous prices for their SDHC cards. And I got a cheap $6.47 after tax memory card reader from MicroCenter, BB and TigerDirect were expensive at $20+.

And I don't trust buying a laptop at BB because I heard bad stories of their warranty service. I'd like a nice Toshiba A665 laptop but BB and Toshiba both have terrible warranty service. Anyone here got stories of poor warranty or laptop service at BB?

BB doesn't have a good selection of PC video games anymore. Like you can't find Rise of Flight there. Seems I gotta go to Newegg or Fry's for my video games.

I just don't think BB is a great place anymore. When they were growing and expanding in the 90's they were great.
Best Buy started going downhill after the demise of Circuit City and the original CompUSA. In small cities, they now pretty much have no competition except a mom and pop computer store which is usually higher priced. Here in Charlotte, there is no Fry's, Microtech, TigerDirect, new CompUSA, etc. Best Buy is the ONLY electronics store left. Its a fact of life when a business becomes a monopoly the prices go up and the quality goes down. I wish one of the big electronics chains would take initiative and start expanding into smaller cities to give Best Buy some competition. Unfortunately thats probably not going to happen as this is not the '90s and brick-and-mortar electronics stores are not what they once were.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:17 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
Quote:

Returning something at that place is absof'inglutely dreadful. Especially if it is a weekend, forget about it!

They kept my @ss waiting for so long when it was my turn, I thought I was buying the damn thing (reached out for my wallet and all). It took me a few seconds to come back down to planet Earth.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
It's not even online that BB loses here.
I just bought a 42" Panasonic. I wound up buying it at the sole remaining mom and pop shop in my town that only sells Sony and Panasonic TV's and stereos. It was $75 cheaper there then it was at BestBuy. Kmart even had the same price as the mom and pop shop did.

Sad when you lose to KMart AND the rinky dink mom and pop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers