U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times

Advertisements

First they redesign their Passport 2.5" USB powered drives to include some BS virtual CD crap. Now they've put their collective brainpower together to design a 3.5" USB drive that doesn't work with Windows 2000. Who the hell thinks to check the system requirements for a device when the operating system has native support for the class of device you're buying? How do you even make a USB drive not work on Windows 2000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 04:11 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,895,661 times
I just bought a 1G Maxtor USB external drive for around $60.

Did I make a mistake? It hasn't arrived yet but it almost seems too cheap and I worry about reliability.

Side question, is firewire significantly faster than USB 2.0? Also, i the speed difference worth the reduced ability to interface since not all computers have firewire?

Finally if the forum was going to buy a 1G USB drive, what would they be looking at? For archiving and for general purpose use such as storing music or video (not critical).

Old 09-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I just bought a 1G Maxtor USB external drive for around $60.

Did I make a mistake? It hasn't arrived yet but it almost seems too cheap and I worry about reliability.

Side question, is firewire significantly faster than USB 2.0? Also, i the speed difference worth the reduced ability to interface since not all computers have firewire?

Finally if the forum was going to buy a 1G USB drive, what would they be looking at? For archiving and for general purpose use such as storing music or video (not critical).
1G? I hope you mean 1TB.

I don't really trust the reliability of any drive so as long as I've got backups, brand doesn't really concern me.

Firewire is quite a bit faster in real life than USB 2.0. If you're moving gigs of data in a shot, it matters. If not not, you probably won't notice too much difference. If you have some drives with firewire, you might want a drive with both firewire and USB interfaces and use the best interface available on each PC.

USB 3.0 is coming and eSata is also fast enough that the drive, not the interface is the bottleneck.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,902,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
First they redesign their Passport 2.5" USB powered drives to include some BS virtual CD crap. Now they've put their collective brainpower together to design a 3.5" USB drive that doesn't work with Windows 2000. Who the hell thinks to check the system requirements for a device when the operating system has native support for the class of device you're buying? How do you even make a USB drive not work on Windows 2000?
Which drive is this?

Does your computer not have support for USB2? Or did you buy the drive with USB3 support?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Which drive is this?

Does your computer not have support for USB2? Or did you buy the drive with USB3 support?
WD Elements USB 2.0 drive. The computer supports USB 2.0 and works fine with other drives.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,661,742 times
Is it the whole "advanced format" aspect of it?
Western Digital

If so, there is a utility to download to realign the sectors so that it works with an older OS.

Call it progress ... to meet the performance demands of today, the past must go. It's akin to why parallel ATA (40-pin IDE) drives are getting rarer nowadays.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Is it the whole "advanced format" aspect of it?
Western Digital

If so, there is a utility to download to realign the sectors so that it works with an older OS.

Call it progress ... to meet the performance demands of today, the past must go. It's akin to why parallel ATA (40-pin IDE) drives are getting rarer nowadays.
I didn't think details like the sector size made it over the USB interface. That article indicates XP has issues with the 4k clusters but this drive worked fine on an XP box. I think something else is going on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers