Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2023, 11:41 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times

Advertisements

Win10/ Edge
I would like to change my log on password to none. Obviously, though, I don't want to lose everything connected to it ....other passwords, links, Favorites etc....so don't want to just add a new user name.
Seems over the years, "simple" things have gotten harder and harder to find.
I haven't been able to even scratch the surface for this one.
Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 12:24 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
What version of Windows 10?

I believe you want to get rid of the Windows User Account password so when you turn on the computer, it logs in automatically and gets to the desktop, correct?

The only other question/variable would be, are you using a local user account or a live account (email address based)

For local user account password removal:

At the desktop, press the Windows key and type "sign." Select Sign-in options from the menu.

Under the Password section, to remove a password, enter the current password and leave all other fields blank.

If you were using a "Live" account, you must convert it to a local user account first:

Press Windows Key + i keys on the keyboard to open Settings window
Click Accounts and under Emails and Accounts, click on "sign in with a local account instead" option.
Enter your old Microsoft account's password and click on Next.
Leave password fields and click Next. If for some reason it didn't let you leave them blank then type in a password, and password hint that you want set for your local account and click Next.
Click on Sign out and Finish button.
Login to check if the changes are effective.

If you had to enter a password for the new local account during conversion, follow the steps above to get rid of the account password.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers