Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,703,292 times

Advertisements

Best Buy used to be a place with cheap prices. Not lately. Recently I was looking for SDHC cards and I found good prices at a MicroCenter and TigerDirect store in Chicago. Then when I checked out Best Buy they had outrageous prices for their SDHC cards. And I got a cheap $6.47 after tax memory card reader from MicroCenter, BB and TigerDirect were expensive at $20+.

And I don't trust buying a laptop at BB because I heard bad stories of their warranty service. I'd like a nice Toshiba A665 laptop but BB and Toshiba both have terrible warranty service. Anyone here got stories of poor warranty or laptop service at BB?

BB doesn't have a good selection of PC video games anymore. Like you can't find Rise of Flight there. Seems I gotta go to Newegg or Fry's for my video games.

I just don't think BB is a great place anymore. When they were growing and expanding in the 90's they were great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,020,129 times
BestBuy = worst buy for me.

They haven't been a go-to place for much of anything in years. Big ticket items on sale can be a good buy, but they will try to kill you on accessories and small stuff.

Their sales people are often incompetent.

They push extended warranties on everything.

I bought a clothes dryer from Best Buy about two years ago. It was a closeout and the deal was good. Delivery was on time. So it was satisfying.

But the way they try to sell you a $50 Monster HDMI cable is offensive.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:28 PM

43,046 posts, read 76,581,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
BestBuy = worst buy for me.

They haven't been a go-to place for much of anything in years. Big ticket items on sale can be a good buy, but they will try to kill you on accessories and small stuff.

Their sales people are often incompetent.

They push extended warranties on everything.

I bought a clothes dryer from Best Buy about two years ago. It was a closeout and the deal was good. Delivery was on time. So it was satisfying.

But the way they try to sell you a $50 Monster HDMI cable is offensive.
They tried to sell you a $50 Monster Cable for your new Dryer?!!
Actually, that would not surprise me...

Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,915,350 times
back in the day i would eagerly await the sunday best buy circular and i would comb through it for hours. it was the go-to place for stereo equipment, music, computers - everything. today i simply have no reason to go there. they never have the best price on anything, music i can download, and cords and connectors i can buy online for literally a fifth of the price. and with computer stuff i have just been buying apple - and while they sell it, i think, why bother going to BB for an ipod?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 PM

14 posts, read 19,585 times
I'm not a fan of Best Buy, but we all lose if they shut down. It was so convenient to have Circuit City nearby when you needed something that day, or just to check out new items in person. Now Best Buy and a few others are the only large store options to visit in person. Even though I almost buy exclusively online, I still love checking out new laptops and other hardware in person. And sometimes Best Buy has great deals if you catch them on time.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,330,586 times
Best Buy = shady and overpriced

Would you like a $100 performance guarantee and $50 optimization on that $300 netbook? Don't forget the SpySweeper!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,630,229 times
Best buy is awesome for when the wife is shopping and you want to walk around and look at stuff instead of watch her try on shoes.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,433,566 times
I haven't bought anything at Best Buy since 2005, not only are their prices not the "best" but they also haggle over fixing items that they have warrantied. I'd highly recommend not buying any of their extended warranties.

I spent about 2 hours arguing with a Best Buy about my broken plasma TV. As soon as I would convince 1 person they need to replace it, they would go fetch another person until the counter was myself + wife vs. 6 employees. I did finally get a replacement but I swore to never buy from them again.

Fry's is so much better at everything, I really do wish Fry's would go mainstream across the country and destroy Best Buy. However, I do believe these super electronic stores will be obsolete in about 5-10 years.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 AM

43,046 posts, read 76,581,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Best buy is awesome for when the wife is shopping and you want to walk around and look at stuff instead of watch her try on shoes.
and
Two thumbs up!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,433,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
and
Two thumbs up!
Browse there, just don't buy anything that you care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers